Another 6.4 Casualty: Questions

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My brother in law has a 2008 F350 CC, Long Bed, 4X4, Manual trans with the legendary (in a bad way) 6.4 and 102K miles.

Truck is tan with cloth tan interior, but rubber floors and a CD player, don't think there is much else option wise. It has a plow mount as well and fairly new tires....

This morning I got a photo of the truck on a flat bed, apparently it spilled its guts on the side of the road this morning on the way to the dealership because it was making this noise (Which sure sounds bottom end, rod/bearing related):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R58_XmR3IXM
[MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION] and others?

3 questions:

Question 1: My inlaws were quoted $19,000 by a ford dealer to repair it I assume this is their 'safe' estimate with replacing every...single...thing.... which is likely over-kill, but obviously to protect themselves from other issues down the road. Is there any kind of reasonable amount of money to bring this back to life that isn't nearly $20k?

Question 2: What do you all feel this thing would have been worth while running and driving? And what do you think its worth current state?

Question 3: I know these things are disaster prone, any thoughts what caused this failure? Truck recently had a lower radiator hose replaced (like just a week prior to this event).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I suspect that it may have lost a Rocker assembly and sealed cylinder off, briefly hydro locking and cracking piston, bending rod, etc... Hmm

sooooo about the 2 big questions;

Is there a realistic method of repair? (Long Block?) and what do you think its worth current state?

Sounds like a good candidate for a 6bt

I have to assume that is a vastly bigger challenge than slamming in a 6bt motor.

My inlaws aren't going to want to screw with some kind of hybrid thing.

To quote my father inlaw: "I would like to know the value so I can unload this boat anchor"

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
For $19000 I'd grab a lighter and let it start on fire

That basically where my father in law is at; he just wants it gone at this point, its had multiple major repairs while still under warranty.

Just 2 months ago he picked up a brand new 2500 Cummins (In stick), so they have no need for it anymore anyways.

I just don't want him to get 'screwed' unloading it, because that money will go toward my brother in laws next car (As he was the one who primarily drove that truck).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Truck is worth 10-12k and that's probably to someone who can fix it themselves.

More than likely a Short block is in order

Could also just be a turbo. But without seeing blowby, couldn't tell. Did it run out of oil and seize? Alot of people confuse fuel in the exhaust for oil since it comes out like tar

Thanks for the info!!!!

Follow up question; is there a 'recommended' place to list something like this forsale outside of typical channels like Craigslist/Ebay/Forums?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm am very interested in it. Think you could get me some pics?

I made a classified thread for it with a pic I had handy, I'll snap some more pics later.

The interior is in REALLY good shape, despite being a 'work truck' my brother in law really babied the thing inside.

The exterior has a few minor battle scars, but no worse than you'd normally see on these things. Grill is cracked (Fixed with electrical tape) The top of the tail gate it predictably a bit banged up, the driver side tail light is chipped from a forklift mis-hap, and there is a weird scratch/crease/dent thing on the passenger bedside above the wheel arch. Paint isn't missing, I think it was from a mailbox or something.

No rust, and the cab itself is 100% straight from what I recall (no notable dings/dents), really just the bed, which is typical.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/sale-automotive/157333-2008-f-350-a.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info