Chevy SS or Dodge Scat Pack?

I've been thinking about getting a larger muscle sedan. I'm 6'2"/270 plus I have 3 kids(7,9,11) and wanted a fun family car. I was pretty set on getting a new SS, but decided to test drive a Dodge Charger Scat Pack. Dammit.. I actually really like that car! Tell me more about the Chargers! I've researched a lot on the SS. Why should I buy one over the other?

The SS has manual and magnetic ride which are huge pluses

The Scat Pack has a more comfortable seat and it really IMO looks good. I plan on taking some road trips and that front seat comfort is really a huge plus!

I like the way the SS looks like a sleeper, tho also a Malibu. I would holdenize it eventually

Btw, both cars are about 46/47k msrp and both can be had with 20% off msrp right now!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think the Charger is a better looking car (sorry Syp) but I have zero experience with both.

Pretty sure [MENTION=5219]ZXMustang[/MENTION] test drove a few scat packs? And of course [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] can chime in on all things SS.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Obviously you can see the potential of the SS when looking at Ryan's. I agree with Mook the Charger does look better especially in that white with dark Rim's. For me the SS looks way to much like other cars GM had at the time in 4 doors. AKA its a malibu SS when you glance at it. Even to this day it takes me 2 or 3 looks on the hwy to confirm its an SS.

Drove an SS at a work party and it was a kick in the chest performance wise. I have no experience with the Charger to comment on.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've spent plenty of time in both in OEM configuration. Street, dragstrip, road course.

Scat Pack is a powerhouse stock. The 8-speed is unbelievable and makes the car drive much lighter than it is.

SS is the precision handler of the two. Much more controlled in corners and fun to drive in the twisties. Scat Pack's brakes are weak and quickly faded in my testing.

MRC in the SS has more range from comfort to track, which is a nice for soft cruising and stiff while cornering, while the Scat Pack doesn't have an adjustable firmness suspension.

The 2016 SS multi-mode exhaust is also a nice feature for cruising and is adjustable in the driving modes. The Scat Pack's exhaust is annoying on long highway trips, though that's also subjective.

Both are comparably equipped as far as features and I think the SS has an edge in quality, though the Charger is roomier.

Overall, I think the SS is a better well-rounded sports sedan but the Scat Pack is more fun to drive and more of a four-door muscle car. I'm talking stock to stock, though. It wouldn't take much for the SS to run away from the Scat Pack in a straight line if you start throwing parts at it.

Thanks for all the quick responses.. I love Ryans SS and both cars will have more power than I need in a family sedan.

Factory, the Scat Pack looks great.. the SS if done right and Holdenized looks fantastic as well.

Big difference is how much better the seats in the Charger feel.. the bottom cushion is longer which makes a huge difference in comfort for any drives longer than 30 min.

Had my mind set on manual, but that 8 speed was not bad. I will have to go test drive both again today or tomorrow and hopefully back to back

I've spent plenty of time in both in OEM configuration. Street, dragstrip, road course.

Scat Pack is a powerhouse stock. The 8-speed is unbelievable and makes the car drive much lighter than it is.

SS is the precision handler of the two. Much more controlled in corners and fun to drive in the twisties. Scat Pack's brakes are weak and quickly faded in my testing.

MRC in the SS has more range from comfort to track, which is a nice for soft cruising and stiff while cornering, while the Scat Pack doesn't have an adjustable firmness suspension.

The 2016 SS multi-mode exhaust is also a nice feature for cruising and is adjustable in the driving modes. The Scat Pack's exhaust is annoying on long highway trips, though that's also subjective.

Both are comparably equipped as far as features and I think the SS has an edge in quality, though the Charger is roomier.

Overall, I think the SS is a better well-rounded sports sedan but the Scat Pack is more fun to drive and more of a four-door muscle car. I'm talking stock to stock, though. It wouldn't take much for the SS to run away from the Scat Pack in a straight line if you start throwing parts at it.

I agree with most of your points. I have to keep in mind that most of the driving is within an hour of Chicagoland which means very little twisties besides the fun on/off ramps :-/

I don't plan on tracking the car besides maybe a track day once. If I want a track car, i'd buy something dedicated to that.

This will mostly be a daily during nice weather and road trip car. The comfort is what really draws me to the Charger. Plus it's great looks.

The exhaust.. I like loud exhausts!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I agree with most of your points. I have to keep in mind that most of the driving is within an hour of Chicagoland which means very little twisties besides the fun on/off ramps :-/

I don't plan on tracking the car besides maybe a track day once. If I want a track car, i'd buy something dedicated to that.

This will mostly be a daily during nice weather and road trip car. The comfort is what really draws me to the Charger. Plus it's great looks.

The exhaust.. I like loud exhausts!

Of course. I don't know what you want but that was a brief summary of how they perform. Pick and choose what's important and buy something that's right for you :bigthumb:

Cars for Sale: New 2016 Dodge Challenger in Scat Pack, Hoover AL: 35216 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Sweet fuck. These are cheap. Manual, HIDs, 8.4 with Nav. Cloth seats though but not that big of a deal. (I know it's not a Charger or SS but jesus the pricing is coming down).

The Challenger is a nice vehicle and yes, manual! However, the back seat is not great. I don't think anyone can sit behind me when I'm in my seating position. If 2 door and crappy back seat was an option, hard to pass up a Mustang GT/Camaro SS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info