Mustang coyote swaps

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Ive been offered an interesting trade...

2006 crown vic w/ 5.0 out of a 2013 boss mustang and a built T5 manual trans

I know there are a couple of guys km here that play with coyotes... my questions are

1) are these plug and play swaps with other fords?

2) will the car be obd2 still? I'm told gauges and everything work as factory

3) any typical hacks or short cuts people take with these swaps?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It depends on how he wired the car up. Ford sells a electronics package that lets you put the engine in any car. Pretty much plug and play. He could have used a doner car for the ECU & wiring. If he custom wired it using a different ECU, stand alone, or who knows what, your guess is good as ours. lol

It should have a ODBII port. If he has the front and rear o2 sensors, EVAP and other systems installed and wired up in the car, it should pass. Get a scanner, or the torque app on your phone with ODBII Bluetooth, and see if it shows the systems are ready, incomplete, and so on. That is what you need to see if it will pass emissions.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
It depends on how he wired the car up. Ford sells a electronics package that lets you put the engine in any car. Pretty much plug and play. He could have used a doner car for the ECU & wiring. If he custom wired it using a different ECU, stand alone, or who knows what, your guess is good as ours. lol

It should have a ODBII port. If he has the front and rear o2 sensors, EVAP and other systems installed and wired up in the car, it should pass. Get a scanner, or the torque app on your phone with ODBII Bluetooth, and see if it shows the systems are ready, incomplete, and so on. That is what you need to see if it will pass emissions.
Supposedly the wiring is from the donor car - says all gauges and lights work as they should - he's not local so ill see about him scanning it

Are fords like LS cars - engine and ecu are seperate and you just supply power to engine harness and car harness?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Supposedly the wiring is from the donor car - says all gauges and lights work as they should - he's not local so ill see about him scanning it

Are fords like LS cars - engine and ecu are seperate and you just supply power to engine harness and car harness?

If he doesn't have a scan tool, or torque app, he can run to an auto parts store or shop to have them scan it and then send you a picture.

I am not 100% sure about everything being the same engine to engine. Some of the sensors could be different from the F150 to the mustang and year to year. But I think if you are using a 2014 and earlier engine I think you will be fine. Especially if the wiring and ecu are from the same car. It may be just the work of verifying the hardware is there, hooked up and the tune accounts for the emissions systems.

fyi, the GT intake would probably be better with that car to help out with the torque. An aftermarket tune really wakes these up as well.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Assuming crown victory body is the beat to shit, sounds like an interesting trade
It's in MO - supposedly clean interior and no rust or major damage, just faded paint - he will also be adding cash
Definitely going to have more aftermarket support for the crown vic
Kind of what I'm wanting - tired of having to fab everything for the falcon

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
If he doesn't have a scan tool, or torque app, he can run to an auto parts store or shop to have them scan it and then send you a picture.

I am not 100% sure about everything being the same engine to engine. Some of the sensors could be different from the F150 to the mustang and year to year. But I think if you are using a 2014 and earlier engine I think you will be fine. Especially if the wiring and ecu are from the same car. It may be just the work of verifying the hardware is there, hooked up and the tune accounts for the emissions systems.

fyi, the GT intake would probably be better with that car to help out with the torque. An aftermarket tune really wakes these up as well.
I would like to add boost, but would also like to take the swap out and put it in my fairmont!

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
unless the ecu is reprogrammed to the vin number of the car ,you will not pass emissions.when you go for emission testing they will enter the vin number from the crown vic,and the ecu vin will not match.also you need to know the vin number on the ecu ,just in case it was reported stolen .i had many issues when i swapped the 4v in my 01 saleen.the ford racing swap harness and ecu does not have a vin number and i dont think it has all the related emission stuff.i have a 3v swap in my 94 cobra and using the swap pack.just basic stuff.do your homework before you buy it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It was a long time since I researched it. But if the vehicle has a newer engine in it the emissions standards are required for the newer engine. There is a way to get the car tested with the newer engine in it. I just don't remember if it was something the Air Team, EPA, or DMV had to be reported to so that it can be tested for emissions.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
unless the ecu is reprogrammed to the vin number of the car ,you will not pass emissions.when you go for emission testing they will enter the vin number from the crown vic,and the ecu vin will not match.also you need to know the vin number on the ecu ,just in case it was reported stolen .i had many issues when i swapped the 4v in my 01 saleen.the ford racing swap harness and ecu does not have a vin number and i dont think it has all the related emission stuff.i have a 3v swap in my 94 cobra and using the swap pack.just basic stuff.do your homework before you buy it.

It was a long time since I researched it. But if the vehicle has a newer engine in it the emissions standards are required for the newer engine. There is a way to get the car tested with the newer engine in it. I just don't remember if it was something the Air Team, EPA, or DMV had to be reported to so that it can be tested for emissions.
Is it something that can be changed with a tune, say with HP Tuners - or Ford? Or not that simple

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info