Project Cobra Rebuild

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Jul 8, 2007
Naperville, IL
im kinda just writing this out to show a long but will be well worth it process of a rebuild.

this is my friend jasons car. 65 Shelby Cobra kit car.based of a ford mustang 5.0 engine/drivetrain

was built back in late 2003/04 after about 10 months of the kit build. it started out with just a basic bolt on 5.0 engine from the donor car. was a fun car, light so it still went fast. later on they added heads/cam/intake. was getting faster. then they ended up having valvetrain issues and bent a ton of valves with the pistons.

So they upgraded to a 306 h/c/i with a vortech v2-strim. now this thing hauled balls. 460whp...mid 11s car...on a STREET tire.

it has been tons of fun, always out n about in it. recently was taken to the Autobahn Country Club, road coarse for a weekend with the shelby club. car was having tons of cooling issues on saturday, the car was retuned that night and detuned to 380 to see if the tune was off and maybe was overheating too much with wrong tune. sunday rolled around and they tried it out again, still having a bit of a cooling issue. car was coming down the front straight when it all let loose. we saw the balancer/crank pulley go flying. we knew something was up.

from what we could see the balancer and crank pulley blew off the car, and the crank was bent at the nose. so in time the decision came to redo the whole car, and make it right, and even better.

Its getting a full restoration to it again with a new motor and setup. decisions havent been made yet but it should be something even sicker then whats was in it now.

heres some photos of the whole process we will go through until its back up and running. should be a real fun project.

our friend, his dad, speedycoop, noscobalt, and i have all been the ones to take on the project.

the day it got back from the motor failure.
Started Sept 30th - all of this so far has been done over the past 4 days.

1strebuilddayoct1st07001.jpg

1strebuilddayoct1st07006.jpg

1strebuilddayoct1st07009.jpg

1strebuilddayoct1st07012.jpg

1strebuilddayoct1st07013.jpg

1strebuilddayoct1st07014.jpg

1strebuilddayoct1st07015.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows001.jpg

Body Removal

TheDestructionthatFollows005.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows006.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows008.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows010.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows011.jpg

Engine Removal

TheDestructionthatFollows013.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows018.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows020.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows023.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows028.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows029.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows035.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows037.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows036.jpg

The Motor:

before the dissassembly, we had no idea what we where in for. front what we saw after the failure, we saw a bent crank, broke oil filter relocation, cracked water pump, and crack in the timing cover.we drained the oil with a strainer and nothing bad came out. upon removing the oil pan, we where in for a suprise. from what we have found so far... the crankshaft failed and broke.

crank snapped between front 2 cylinders and the next 2. crank weight broke off and lodged in between the crank and maincap. 2 split main caps, 3 splits in the block, 2 bent/twisted rods, broken bearings, broken timing chain, 2 broken pistons, cylinder wall damage. this is all we have gotten to so far. thankfully there was a main girdle installed, which held everything together okay in the destruction.

TheDestructionthatFollows039.jpg

the part of that crank weight that says 8D should actually be on the piece next to it thats next to the rod. the crank weight broke in half and lodged into the maincap, and the crank is split right under there.

TheDestructionthatFollows041.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows042.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows045.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows048.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows056.jpg

TheDestructionthatFollows051.jpg

so, the car will be getting fully redone. all wiring will be redone, the correct and neat way. new fuel system, new motor. alot of time and work will be put into building this thing back up. will post back as we go on.

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Jul 8, 2007
Naperville, IL
he lives in aero estates. its a neighborhood with a airstrip and every house has a hanger on it.there garage is seperate from the hanger, but thier hanger is built into the house,unlike some others that are off the house. but they arnt really into planes. they just want it for the garage space for working on cars. the plane is the previous house owner, whose just storing it there for now.

S

speedycoop

this project its going to be intense!! its insane because crawlin and i helped with the original build process and here we are riping it apart and doing it basically from scratch! all i have to say is im extremely happy to have an opportunity like this and its not every day that average car nuts get to do this kind of work. but we will definitely keep everyone updated as to what is going on. hopefully tonight we can post some picture of engine tear down with some insane looking parts!!

S

speedycoop

tore down the block tonight with jason!

so tonights chunk of work involved ripping down the engine. we didnt get as far as we would have liked to because jasons neighbor who has two crazy insane drag cars one of them being a 65 shelby cobra that runs low 8's (the other is a blown alcohol vette that runs 6.40's) stopped by for an hour to talk.

but here are the picture...enjoy!

n513695028_1378409_4004.jpg

n513695028_1378410_4300.jpg

n513695028_1378411_4562.jpg

n513695028_1378413_5170.jpg

n513695028_1378414_5453.jpg

n513695028_1378416_6014.jpg

n513695028_1378418_6560.jpg

n513695028_1378420_7115.jpg

tomorrow night we are pulling the pitons and the crank and crawlin or i will post more picture of that stuff tomorrow night probably.

S

speedycoop

Crawlin2vGT said:
its going between a NA stroker setup right now or staying with small cubes ( 306/308/311/331) and keeping the blower on the car.

haha dont think so sir. he has been talking to me about a big block.

basically there are tons of options and he is just trying to figure out what to do. but last i heard earlier today it might end up being a big block. (i need to try to talk him into a BB chevy and make some real power!!)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Crawlin2vGT said:
he lives in aero estates. its a neighborhood with a airstrip and every house has a hanger on it.there garage is seperate from the hanger, but thier hanger is built into the house,unlike some others that are off the house. but they arnt really into planes. they just want it for the garage space for working on cars. the plane is the previous house owner, whose just storing it there for now.

No shit, one of my Dad's buddies has a Cobra kit car in Aero estates. The guy's Cobra is blue with white stripes. It used to be a street cruiser, and last I heard it was a nine-second drag car with wheelie bars. He runs at 66, or at least used, for all I know he could have gotten rid of the car, haven't talked to the guy in a few years. No plane, though. He turned the hanger into a machine shop where he did all the work on his car.

yeap thats bill lueck. we race with him all the time. my buds good friend with him.

his cobra is a 8second car now. and then he has the 6 second blown alchy corvette. weve talked with him about this car for awhile. he stopped by the other day.

cool dude. his garage is sweet as hell. we are good buds with his son too. cool guys.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yeah, the last I remember his son was running a Burgundy Fairlane, maybe 65 or 66. This has got to be 3 or 4 years ago. Bill's an awesome guy, told us to drop by whenever and always open to show off his rides and shop.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info