Is Camaro 6th Gen Mod-ability weak?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Anyone else notice that reporting on the 6th gen Camaro aftermarket seems weak? I've been browsing 6th gen forums and don't really see many people/shops/magazines posting thorough before/after comparisons on dyno or track. The car's already been out a year.

Official 6th Gen 1/4 Mile V8 Fast List - CAMARO6

I want to know how far you can take an SS 8-speed into the 11s without cracking the timing cover. 11.50s is the fastest NA stock internal on Camaro 6 so far and that's CAI, E85, cat delete and slicks. I'm curious what headers and a stall will do, though headers don't seem to be making a huge difference on their own because the fairly efficient tri-y tubular headers from the factory.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I know the 2011 Mustangs were that way. Took quite a while for bolt ons to even come out. The 2015 cars are the same way. But oddly enough besides CAI, headers and exhaust, you don't see guys changing much else. Most companies just used the 2011-14 headers on the 2015+ cars. Which most clear well, others hit here and there. And here the 2017 mustangs are out and we have just received one intake for them. That is one they stole off the GT350. No dedicated intake for the 2015 chassis. At least the earlier intakes fit the motor. But not all of them fit without cutting up your hood. Plus you lose the butterfly valves in the 2015 cars.

But even now with the 2017 Mustang models out, you don't see a whole lot of guys going drag racing. Yet I have never seen so many Mustangs with air ride and cosmetic changes as their first mods. It is very different than what you would have seen with the 87-2004 Mustangs. Almost like all those people who were riding out their civics now can afford a more expensive car and the mustang is it. Very different on the forums than it was before.

I would think the LS in the 6th gen Camaro has a lot of parts available to it that have been around for years. I have not looked at the 6th gen motors but assume they have not changed a whole lot over the earlier architecture.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I don't think there is a stall out for the 8 speed in any application. Seems like that trans is proving to be a bit of a mystery to the aftermarket.

The 5th gens were the same way as far as slow to mod. My 5th gen was running 12.40's with bolt-on's and was one of the fastest ones around for a while.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
with a 10k mark up over a comparable mustang 5.0 people cant afford the go fast goodies :iorofl:

honestly why im in a 5.0 and not a camaro.

the people buying the camaros should be buying a 5.0 and a blower instead like [MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] did.

I feel like GM is screwing the crowd like when the 5th gen z28 came out.

When you start spending closer to or over 50k for a 6th gen you get into some serious other options available for that kind of coin.

Not to mention Camaro doesnt have half the aftermarket support Ford does from the tuners.

See GM dealers offering 6-700hp base cars with a blower for 40k? :rofl: NOPE!

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I would think the LS in the 6th gen Camaro has a lot of parts available to it that have been around for years. I have not looked at the 6th gen motors but assume they have not changed a whole lot over the earlier architecture.

The 6th gen has the new LT engine. The new LT is direct injected. With that and a whole new trans, and new chassis, I think it's just taking the aftermarket a little while to get stuff to market. They have to get a car, design something, test, redo, ect. All takes time. Same thing happens anytime a big change happens. I'm sure in another year or two the market will be flooded with stuff.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's too bad there isn't a de-contented Camaro SS like the Mustang. Dollar for dollar, though, when the retail price is similar and features equivalent, the Camaro has enough of a performance advantage to make the extra cost worthwhile. You have to throw money at the Mustang to match the SS' performance. Still, the Mustang aftermarket is drool worthy compared with what's available and proven on the SS. Still a number of unknowns it seems like.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
The 6th gen has the new LT engine. The new LT is direct injected. With that and a whole new trans, and new chassis, I think it's just taking the aftermarket a little while to get stuff to market. They have to get a car, design something, test, redo, ect. All takes time. Same thing happens anytime a big change happens. I'm sure in another year or two the market will be flooded with stuff.

this engine has been out since late 2013 as a 2014 model year in the c7 vette.

i agree the aftermarket support is surprisingly slim but im not too sure comparing it to the mustangs aftermarket fair either.

the mustang is the civic of the domestics if you can think of it chances are someone makes it already for them.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
right ive said it before ill say it again i was awefully critical of the mustang when the 2015+ s550 came out but after driving one and buying one im forced to change my opinion.

that said i drove a 2013 the same day and didnt like it at all inside visibility was like a mack truck compared to my 2016.

still havnt drove a 6th gen yet either.... :tear:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info