Need guidance: buying a car with a lien

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I sold a car this way.

Bill of sale entitles you to car so be sure it is good and filled out properly, but yes you do have to wait for title and in my case it took a good 2 weeks. Buyer was quite ancy and asked almost daily.

I believe they sent me the title and I had to forward it to him, which seemed silly but YMMV with USAA.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I sold my Wrangler with a lien.

Called the bank telling them I needed the title to be local. A couple days later they told me the title was ready to go, went to the bank with the buyer, they handed the money to the rep, paid the loan off and put remainder in my account, rep handed the title to me to sign, them to sign, and the buyer drove off in the Jeep with the title in hand. Never heard from them again which I would assume is a good thing.

I also sold my Ace this way. :rofl:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I took full payment and he took the car.

Yes you need title. If you have existing plates and bill of sale you should be able to drive around just fine.

IL law gives you 30 days to register if I recall correctly.

What plates would you put on the car? Most sellers aren't going to give you their plates to use temporarily. I'm also pretty sure there's a decent penalty for driving around with plates that aren't registered to a car, though I guess if you don't get pulled over it's not a problem.

I've sold a couple cars bikes with liens and it took anywhere from 2-4 weeks to get the title.

IMO there's no way to drive it without registration without possibly getting a ticket. I've been pulled over a couple times in a vehicle I had just bought and the police said if you don't have a plate it's illegal, and if you are driving on a plate that's not registered to the car it's illegal. I had the bill of sale and explained that the BMV tells me I have 30 days to register it, but neither officer cared.

For the 3 vehicles I sold that had loans on them, the purchaser did not drive it until I gave them the title

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
What plates would you put on the car? Most sellers aren't going to give you their plates to use temporarily. I'm also pretty sure there's a decent penalty for driving around with plates that aren't registered to a car, though I guess if you don't get pulled over it's not a problem.

I've sold a couple cars bikes with liens and it took anywhere from 2-4 weeks to get the title.

IMO there's no way to drive it without registration without possibly getting a ticket. I've been pulled over a couple times in a vehicle I had just bought and the police said if you don't have a plate it's illegal, and if you are driving on a plate that's not registered to the car it's illegal. I had the bill of sale and explained that the BMV tells me I have 30 days to register it, but neither officer cared.

For the 3 vehicles I sold that had loans on them, the purchaser did not drive it until I gave them the title

The plates from the car you sold. Obviously this assumes you just sold one which is what my buyer did. You just tell the cop you are going to transfer them to this vehicle.

And yes, truck plates might not work so well... lol

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yaa, that is not the best idea. you are better off driving around with no plates, and having the bill of sale with you than driving around with plates to another car.

[MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] went through something like this with the 3000gt

that's what I was told by the BMV so that's what I did.....but when you get pulled over every 6 minutes for driving without plates, don't be surprised

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info