Time to laugh at Turk's expense and learn from his mistakes v. PlastiDip

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
So as many of you know, I had the bright idea of plastidipping the front end of the R8 to protect it against rock chips and other shit during the TCG Tour. I mean hell, people dip their cars all the time, it's going to work great right? Well it did it's job, it protect the front end against chips and bug splatter very well, unfortunately at a cost; it fucked up the clear coat.

hf9L2WI.jpg

Now take a look at the above picture. You may think the right side is where the plasti dip was, nice and clean and clear. Unfortunately, the dip was on the left side. You may think that's some sort of leftover residue, unfortunately, I don't think it is. I tried Dawn dish soap, wax, hand polish and clay bar. Nothing had any sort of impact on it. I tried scratching it off with my nail, didn't do a thing. Finally I got the porter cable out, m205 and an orange pad, I put the fucker to max and used quite a bit of pressure. Very carefully I went over small sections 4 times with that combo and that finally cleared the paint. 2.5 hours of work on a third of my hood. Keep in mind, the dip was only the car for 1 week, that's it. If it had been on for a few weeks, I'd need a paint job for sure. I'm not sure what exactly happened, nor do I care, as I will not be using this product on anything in the future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info