Honduh owners/fan boys/techs step in

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
My buddy Jon had one and he beat the ever living shit out of it. It finally died when he didn't change the timing belt and the belt finally went at like 200k miles. He used to jump curbs with it, drive through lawns, etc. The driveshaft even exploded on the highway at one point and the car turned into FWD only LOL!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
2002 is the first year of the second generation, and is K series. The First gen ones were B18s, which were also stout, but they were rust prone.

Im leery of first year cars, but otherwise as others have said, SUPER stout, it's just a Fat civic.

Side-Note, RAVs were offered in 4 and 6 cylinder, and now only offered in 4 cyl.

Foresters were also offered in Flat 6 (which would be another competitor)

Nissan didn't really offer a good compact SUV until very recently, and stuck with the very thirsty And rusty Xterras and Pathfinders, unless I'm way off base?

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
My buddy Jon had one and he beat the ever living shit out of it. It finally died when he didn't change the timing belt and the belt finally went at like 200k miles. He used to jump curbs with it, drive through lawns, etc. The driveshaft even exploded on the highway at one point and the car turned into FWD only LOL!
That's good to hear :rofl:
K series engines are great. As far as I know everything else is pretty good too. Hondas are mostly basic maintenance vehicles and tend to last forever.
That's what I figured. And blocks shouldn't be too bad to find on the cheap.
CR-V never had a v6.

the k series are stout, though can be oil burners. so make sure to keep an eye on that. otherwise dead reliable cars
Good to know. I could have sworn I seen v6 listings... but thanks for the heads up :bigthumb:
2002 is the first year of the second generation, and is K series. The First gen ones were B18s, which were also stout, but they were rust prone.

Im leery of first year cars, but otherwise as others have said, SUPER stout, it's just a Fat civic.

Side-Note, RAVs were offered in 4 and 6 cylinder, and now only offered in 4 cyl.

Foresters were also offered in Flat 6 (which would be another competitor)

Nissan didn't really offer a good compact SUV until very recently, and stuck with the very thirsty And rusty Xterras and Pathfinders, unless I'm way off base?
I'm glad you chimed in. I know there where other options. I don't know why I'm kind of set on the CR-V. Maybe be because I was looking at easy of maintenance. Prices are too bad.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i have this one customer that comes in w/ her 250k mile 04 cr-v. it burns oil, and she refuses to check it between oil changes. every time i see it for service the oil light is on and there's about 1/2 qt in the pan w/ vtec failure codes in the computer. the car gives no fucks though. change the oil and clear the codes and it's good to go for a few more months :rofl:

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
my parents had an 07, minimal maintenance. did the T-Belt and fluids, tires here and there... finally traded it in at like 120k. still drove/shifted/looked as good as the day they bought it brand new. very stout vehicle.

only issue they ever had was a "Check gas cap" message on the dash for like 7 years, the dealer couldnt figure it out and it didnt affect emissions or anything so fuckit.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

Lol. The best part of it was the broken ass horn. He'd honk at everyone.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm glad you chimed in. I know there where other options. I don't know why I'm kind of set on the CR-V. Maybe be because I was looking at easy of maintenance. Prices are too bad.

If you like the CRV, I wouldn't even look at others;

I'd just find the nicest 02+ CRV you can afford, and roll with it.

They had only like 2 flavors back then? I think it was just EX and EX-L?

EX-L was Leather and Sunroof, maybe AWD standard? I think only the EX's came as stick.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
My daily is a '06 Civdawg. Change the oil and go type of car. However, I did get a letter in the mail saying Honda extended my engine block warranty until 200K miles. I did a little research, apparently they had problems with external coolant leaking out of the water jackets. I guess Honda was replacing engines like crazy with no questions asked. Stand up car company in my eyes.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I vouch for this. That CRV went to hell and back. LOTS of in sober moments in that thing and it just took the beatings and shrugged them off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info