back when suburbans had real bumpers......

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Ok looking for a winter whore to drive until march with minimal investment.

needs to be big fullsize 4wd heat 4 doors and lets say 4k max.

school me on 90s suburbans.

looking at this for 1k solid body peeling paint but its not cancer even the rocker behind the wheel wells are solid starts no check engine lights, idles fine, glass is fine, windows roll up and down fine. locks all work. tires are decent too enough to last this winter id think.

now heres why its cheap. supposedly it needs a trans. 4L60 eleventy billion out there and id likely just rebuild this one myself. 4l60 pretty simple trans and cheap to rebuild. i know remans are cheap and easy to find too.

so 1k vehicle another 1k max for a real good rebuild 2k suburban. :dunno: leave like 50% budget to shake down the rest before the snow flies if it needs anything.

i actually like this body style cosmetics no fucks given and interior isnt all ratted out no rips or tears even.

should i have pulled the trigger already?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
4c733e458112079db097025443108bc0.jpg

really straight imo not all dented to hell or rusted just peeling.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Usually you want to look through the front suspension as you will find that a lot of them need a lot of work

beings these are like 20 years old whats expensive to do besides whole axle. if youre talking wheel bearings ball joints seals shit like that i dont care i work at a heavy equipment shop and have plenty of space tools and lifts to do crap in the evenings and weekends if something needs major work like redoing a whole axle with seals and bearings blah blah.

transfer cases in these usually good?

its a damn 350 so i dont even care about the engine i know where one is sitting with alum heads i could toss in for under 1k too.

budget should allow for some horrendous repairs but getting in for like 1k is key. rest of the budget ill blow to make it reliable for winter.

need to know what the expensive things are to look out for.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
damn wife got ride of the navigator for this stupid car thing called an edge. couldnt talk her into an expidition or newer navigator so ohh well since the edge was cheaper than those fullsize options guess i get to buy a fullsize. i would have just got a junk cheap 4 door car for winter had she stuck with a fullsize anything.

yes her edge is a fucking car. dont try tell me otherwise. engines in wrong way to be a real suv. its a glorified awd car and i hate not having something fullsize. the struggle to pull a wimpy 17 foot camper to the lake with that edge ended any remote chance of me liking it. fuck that ford edge. :picard:

its new and looks nice but it damn sure isnt as capable as the dearly missed navigator!

were about to fix that issue and park my mustang once the white shit falls from the sky. lol win win!

:fy:

mustang parts will have to hold off but getting a proper fullsize thats winter capable is the right thing to do.

i hate being an adult and living where is snows.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
What year engine? The TBIs are nice because they're simple and cheap to work on but will cost you power over the Vortecs. I'd think intake manifold gaskets and possibly expect to do some injectors in the spider on the 96+ ones. The ECUs are super simple on the earlier ones as well typically although aftermarket may be meh depending on the box you get.

Trans obviously you're aware of the 4L60E limitations, so take em for what they are.

ED:

anything over 150Kish expect a fuel pump if it hasn't been done already. Just the nature of the GM beast as I'm sure you're aware.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Not sure if it's common or not but my tbi Burban I always had ignition issues. Went through a few distributors and numerous ignition modules

2nd gen hei dizzy's always hated the heat, the hall effect magnet will crack and create a false trigger that can lead to preignition and destroy the engine

we found the commercial trucks benifited from running an open 3/4" id hose from alongside the radiator to under the carb to feed cooler air back there

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I used to do cap/rotor every 10k on my '97, other than that it was an awesome truck. Do yourself a favor, just like any other IFS GM truck, as soon as you buy it, go online and order every replaceable front suspension component from Moog/National, do it all and never worry about it again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info