This is why I don't bring the R8 to motorsport events....

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
So I get a lot of shit from friends, and on here for not taking the R8 to events like the half mile. "Come on Turk, what are you worried about, the car is stock." "Come on Turk, why did you buy the car, bring it out, nothing would ever happen."

Shit happens, it always has and always will and it's impossible to predict just when and how it will happen. It is possible to reduce the impact of shit happening, though, which is why in April I purchased a 2016 WRX. A daily driver that I could also taking to events like auto cross, which I did today.

Unfortunately, shit happened today, and I got a taste of it. A C7 Z06 lost control and barreled towards the staging lanes and eventually smashed right into the side of a white Miata. The Z06 was going fast enough that he carried the Miata right into the front of my WRX, and also hit an M235i. Out of the 4 cars involved, I probably suffered the least amount of damage but damn, what if that was my R8?

uc8VkgU.jpg

yo3Leqc.jpg

RVu4HaP.jpg

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
was it a poorly designed course that had a hot area too close to people/cars?? that's a pretty surprisingly bad autocross accident.

fyi you can get event insurance if you want, r8 or wrx or whatever on a track.

Yeah, there was a hot area that was separated by a few feet of grass from the staging area, probably not the best idea.

I've looked into insurance, not worth it imo unless I'm road racing, and then, for the R8 it is super expensive.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Why buy a car and be a pussy about it? If you can afford the car, you can afford to fix it if you fuck up. I can't afford to lose my s2000 in a track accident, but hey, I also can't see it sit in parking lots and garages. Why bother buy it?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Small claims court vs driver of vehicle that caused accident :dunno: or is that "frowned upon"

Example. 3 cars heading to a high speed braking zone. Lead car blows and engine, lays oil down. 2nd car tries to avoid accident but gets into the oil slick. 3rd car unable to stop hits 2nd car.

Who's fault is it?

This is why they have track day insurance. It covers you, your ride, and other damages.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Example. 3 cars heading to a high speed braking zone. Lead car blows and engine, lays oil down. 2nd car tries to avoid accident but gets into the oil slick. 3rd car unable to stop hits 2nd car.

Who's fault is it?

This is why they have track day insurance. It covers you, your ride, and other damages.

note this stuff is pretty much catastrophic insurance. it's not unreasonable but it's not cheap. and the deductible is high. so if you flip it once, you may as well flip it again to make sure...

i'm also not in a position to happily eat the cost of a trashed car at the track (as i'm sure few of the people that do this hobby are) - but hey, it's stupid fun and a sports car is kind of a waste on the street where you can't really push or use it.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

Who's fault is it?

Lead car, due to blowing engine. Everyone else was a result of blown engine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info