Opinions on building a 9" starting with this housing?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I've been on the hunt for a 12 bolt axle (or even an 8.5 10 bolt) for my car and either things are over priced or just flat out can't find anything. I stumbled upon this company and they seem to have decent deals on housings and axles.

QP GM 1968-1972 A Body 9 Inch Housing

Also thought about hunting down a junkyard center section (or CL).

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You would be amazed how different housings can be. I know the company that makes the strange 9" housings. They showed me the center opening that the center section bolts to. It was way nicer than the housing I had. Which was NOT a cheap housing. They showed me different parts they use and fabricate. I was sold because the quality of the individual components was better then other companies use

Now depending on your needs, the less costly, thinner sheet, rough cut center will be fine.

You can call Vince at VRN and they can give you options and prices. I know you will be happy. But if cost is your main concern I am sure you can find less costly options on ebay and so on.

VRN Welding and Fabrication
102 N Skokie Hwy, Lake Bluff, IL 60044

(847) 735-7270

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
That might cost an arm and leg to ship to me. Summit looks like they have free shipping somehow.

My plans/goals is to get this pig to handle decent and just enjoy it. It'll probably head to the drag strip once or twice on street tires and that's it. I've got an 8.2 BOP axle currently with an open diff and terrible gearing. Gears and limited slip costs are silly for it and I'd rather dump that money into something with actual support.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
You would be amazed how different housings can be. I know the company that makes the strange 9" housings. They showed me the center opening that the center section bolts to. It was way nicer than the housing I had. Which was NOT a cheap housing. They showed me different parts they use and fabricate. I was sold because the quality of the individual components was better then other companies use

Now depending on your needs, the less costly, thinner sheet, rough cut center will be fine.

You can call Vince at VRN and they can give you options and prices. I know you will be happy. But if cost is your main concern I am sure you can find less costly options on ebay and so on.

VRN Welding and Fabrication
102 N Skokie Hwy, Lake Bluff, IL 60044

(847) 735-7270

Vince and his team at VRN do beautiful fabrication work. I couldn't be happier with the 9" in my fox body.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Shipping might not be 'that' bad. There is no such thing as free shipping. Summit pays someone to ship it. So they might build the shipping costs into the price. The housing is ship able with UPS and probably 40-50 pounds depending on brackets and so on. If you have them fill it with guts and ship it with a freight carrier it might not be too bad. Because you have to remember, they are a manufacturer, not re-seller. They might be able to be competitive on the parts price to make the numbers to your door work. I would call VRN to see what they say, price it out per your specs and decide from there.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
What car is this for? What is your max budget for a used, 68-72, Chevy A-body, 12 bolt, housing? We have some in back that have been here longer than I have. Which is 18 years. We rebuild and sell the F body 12 bolts. So the owner may be willing to sell a used A-body housing or complete rear end as is.
My 70 Buick gs.

I've seen open diff highway gearing 12 bolts for 600-800. Never anything good. If it was for something worthwhile I could do a grand.

The 9" I'd probably build up for a few months.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
What car is this for? What is your max budget for a used, 68-72, Chevy A-body, 12 bolt, housing? We have some in back that have been here longer than I have. Which is 18 years. We rebuild and sell the F body 12 bolts. So the owner may be willing to sell a used A-body housing or complete rear end as is.
let me know. im always interested in a-body housings. as well as something that can be butchered up to fit, say, a 95 silverado.......

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The 9" was more opportunity and price than anything. I can't find an 8.5 to save my life. 12 bolts pop up but they're either crazy over priced with open diff and terrible gearing or junk. Too many leaf cars around here :rofl:

I'd be perfectly happy with a corporate 10 bolt.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
for the money spent on a 9", id rather have a 8.5 or 12 bolt in a gs. i mean youre not gonna make some monster power level, so why spend money on a "race" rear end?

ive never seen a blown up 8.5 in a stage1 GS car.
It's a 4 speed car too. It's a pretty basic setup now, small cam/LT's and intake but I have plans on going to a 455 and home made boost at some point. Need to make up for being 6k above sea level

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Any updates on this? I'm getting closer to needing an axle. [MENTION=2612]Pressure Ratio[/MENTION]

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I found an 8.5 10 bolt with posi and 3.08 gears but it's in east Michigan. By the time I get it to here, I'd probably be about $1200 in after a gear change.

Cheapest 12 bolt I can find within 500 miles is $800 and would need gears, limited slip and full rebuild which on the cheap end would cost me another $800

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info