YouTube Is Synthetic Motor Oil Better For Your Car?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
that cold used conventional sure flows like shiiiit.

i commented on youtube and hope he gives it a response, i'm wondering if the narrower range means anything. i don't know if it's myth or truth but picked up that a narrower range meant it would stand up to temp abuse better.

brz says 0w20 or 5w30. i put 10w30 in it thinking it would have higher pressure and hold up to high temps moar bettar.

before oil cooler on track, i was hitting 280f. with a coolant based one, i'm 250-260f. pressure at 7000 rpms is 60 w/10w30.

sent some in to blackstone labs after a bunch of track days and on e85 and they said it looked good.

:amsoil:

the only direct data point i've been able to compare it to is another guy's frs at different temps and pressures using redline - i have much higher pressure with the amsoil.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

not the best if your application is racing really cold oil with gravity, i guess - the only real conclusion i'd draw from this is that royal purple is not that impressive. which no one should have ever believed in the first place, since it's competitive differentiatior appears to be "this stuff is fucking purple, maaaan"

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
There really are only 2 actual synthetic oils, there's a whole discussion about this on other forums. Nobody around here needs to focus on any of this as nobody runs extreme temperatures or driving.

His graphs are cute but the actual difference between the two over an oil change interval is like nothing. You could easily race your car on conventional oil as you can with synthetic.

Also, why compare 15w40 conventional new/old vs 5w30 synthetic new/old? To show the DRASTIC difference between synthetic and conventional? Even though they're not the same to begin with? Am I missing something?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Very interesting video. Most informative for me was the viscosity of the 15/40 used oil. That's some nasty stuff!

And people wonder why I'll prime the engine by holding the gas pedal in my ST down on cold days. They think something is wrong with the car, but its really me just keeping the engine at lower revs to get the oil to move around better.

Plus overnight, the oil tends to drain back away from the Turbo. So the 10 seconds of cranking helps to get some oil up there before the wheel actually spins with exhaust gases.

I only run synthetic in all my cars. The GTA is running 5w-30 Mobil 1 right now. But I need to switch over to a high zinc oil. I've heard its better for engines with higher valve spring pressures because the zinc forms layer on the came lobes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info