At a crossroad with my car....need some input

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
i havent been on the site too much as of late but i need some opinions....

my car is a turbo LS mustang, that has taken me about a year and a half to build from scratch. its runs and drives great (aside from being hot af with no ac lol) and is a blast to drive, but I have an itch to get another bike, it will be a street glide or road glide, but my deal is, i get bored and want something different.

ive had 5 different harley's in the last 3 years, and just get bored but love to ride. then i get the itch for a fast car, i scratched that itch, and bascially spent all of my "slush" fund to build this one.

These kind of cars are never "done" but its at a good stopping point for now. it makes 600whp and will almost certainly go bottom 10s high 9s as it sits.

My concern is, I really cant afford to upgrade it (boost controller, 2 step, rear suspension stuff, spool) to the way i want it right now, and i dont want to afford to fix it if I break it.....my "slush" fund is pretty much now just for our house needs ect.

How does one either stay happy with a toy (because i can't afford more than one), or how do I justify selling out lol?

Ive had the mustang listed for sale figuring it would be a quick sale, but it hasnt been, and I don't want to give it away, as im not in a bind, just bored. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
if you dont got funds to break it and rebuild either keep it and leave it alone until funds allow or tap out and move on to the bike.

im at a similar point too i can pay the admission fee but goodies gotta wait.

personally if its something you not only dumped money but time into id keep it and enjoy it as is until funds allow for the next round.

2cent

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I have similar issue, basically I'm stuck with what I have (bike not car atm). I could sell the bike and dump all the cash into my nova project or buy another project car for speed.

Wife and I are in hardcore saving mode to buy a different house next year so no funds are available.

In short I have my big boy grown up pants on and have to do the responsible thing.

In your case maybe you can split the difference, buy a used bike and a fun car with a little bit of speed but not a new bike and a 10 sec car?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
I have similar issue, basically I'm stuck with what I have (bike not car atm). I could sell the bike and dump all the cash into my nova project or buy another project car for speed.

Wife and I are in hardcore saving mode to buy a different house next year so no funds are available.

In short I have my big boy grown up pants on and have to do the responsible thing.

In your case maybe you can split the difference, buy a used bike and a fun car with a little bit of speed but not a new bike and a 10 sec car?

Yeah being an adult sucks lmao.

I don't want to buy a brand new bike but no matter what I get is going to be 14-18k, and I don't want a loan for that much. I've basically got quite a bit of capital to play with if I sell the car, but I guess I can't make my.mind up about it. Maybe I just need to go to Byron this weekend and say fuck it lol.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
if you dont got funds to break it and rebuild either keep it and leave it alone until funds allow or tap out and move on to the bike.

2cent

Honestly some of it is money, but most of it is that im.burned out of working on this thing. It's been such a project that working on cars all day, then doing side jobs 2 or 3 nights a week, then coming home and trying to be motivated to get working on my own junk.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
What is it that makes you bored of the current bike or car though? This was a sick ass build when you finished it. I was shocked to see it up for sale somewhere as it didn't seem like it'd been "done" for even a few months.

Spool is cheap, boost controller isn't terrible expensive, 2step can be found cheapish... none of these hurdles seem impossible.

Are you really just that bored of it already?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Honestly some of it is money, but most of it is that im.burned out of working on this thing. It's been such a project that working on cars all day, then doing side jobs 2 or 3 nights a week, then coming home and trying to be motivated to get working on my own junk.

Man i get that i got a case of the fuck its and now look what happened ended up with a new mustang 5.0 :rofl: :ford:

swinging a wrench day in and day out for a job makes it tiring to work on personal project cars.

i guess in the end i just wouldnt want to take a bath on a project to get rid of it.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Real street cars have AC, DAN. :rofl:

I'd keep it and add AC so you can drive it and enjoy it. Imagine taking that on the tour or something like that, it would be a blast as long as it was comfortable to drive.

ac is a pita, and creates a whole different set of challenges, inlcuding the turbo kit i built around not having it haha. I just dont drive it on 90+ degree days.

What is it that makes you bored of the current bike or car though? This was a sick ass build when you finished it. I was shocked to see it up for sale somewhere as it didn't seem like it'd been "done" for even a few months.

Spool is cheap, boost controller isn't terrible expensive, 2step can be found cheapish... none of these hurdles seem impossible.

Are you really just that bored of it already?

spool is cheap, but i will need axles as well. boost controller is like 600, and a couple hundo for a 2 step, not a huge deal, but everything adds up and i feel like im at the point of no return. if i spend another 2k, whats another 1500, then its a bigger turbo...then yada yada yada lol. i do enjoy driving the car, but with e85 im pretty limited on how far i can go...basically i dont think i can make it to chubbys and back on my 16 gallon tank?

Keep it and enjoy it. The car is sick. You dont NEED to go further with it to enjoy the fuck out of it.

thanks man. I'll probably end up keeping it, and building a motor for it. thinking about going to the track sunday.....

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I do not think anyone builds a car completely to their final expectation in one shot. They always seem to be a work in progress, making mods as things break and as they can afford them. Your issue seems to be getting bored because you don't have instant satisfaction of the car exactly as you want it.

Enjoy the car, have goals in mind for the next steps/mods, and work towards an end result. Whether it is this car, another car, or a bike it sounds like the issue is with your mindset. Nobody can help you, except yourself.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
ac is a pita, and creates a whole different set of challenges, inlcuding the turbo kit i built around not having it haha. I just dont drive it on 90+ degree days.

What fun is it to build a car that you can't drive 75% of the time between mid June and mid August though? Can't you get one of those systems that just tuck up under the dash and supply cool island breezes to your heat soaked body on hot summer days, whilst spooling dem turbos, mon?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
I do not think anyone builds a car completely to their final expectation in one shot. They always seem to be a work in progress, making mods as things break and as they can afford them. Your issue seems to be getting bored because you don't have instant satisfaction of the car exactly as you want it.

Enjoy the car, have goals in mind for the next steps/mods, and work towards an end result. Whether it is this car, another car, or a bike it sounds like the issue is with your mindset. Nobody can help you, except yourself.

Lol yah I've always been a head case. Most of the guys that have known me for a while know I have a hard time being content, and not going all out. I need to get this car to the track soon and then give me some motivation to keep it!

What fun is it to build a car that you can't drive 75% of the time between mid June and mid August though? Can't you get one of those systems that just tuck up under the dash and supply cool island breezes to your heat soaked body on hot summer days, whilst spooling dem turbos, mon?

Eh I'm used to it. As nice as it is to have ac, it usually causes cooling issues, and I've just gotten used to it. Same goes for a bike, I don't want to ride when it's 100 degrees out either.

Fuck it who wants to go to Byron Sunday lol??

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I had my 700rwhp street cruiser Cobra that I did most the build on, only had small things left like lower it and IRS bushing kit but was pretty much the perfect comfortable stupid fast street car.

Fast forward to the clutch starting to slip and a couple buddies buying bikes and the next thing you know I have a brand new Yamaha FZ-07. I bought the bike knowing I couldn't really afford the bike and car, and after riding I realized the bike is so much more fun for where I live and 1/3 of the cost of the car and a fraction of the cost to maintain.

I had really hoped I'd start liking the Cobra again but just never found any interest in it any more so finally decided to sell it last week. Thought I was going to miss it as I drove it one last time and watched it leave but after getting what I did for it and being able to just pay off the rest of what I owed on the car, my credit card, student loan and my bike while having some left over I'm more than happy. Perhaps I'll grow tired of the bike at some point though and enter the viscous circle you're in but I can't see that happening.

I'm sure I'll end up in a car payment within a few months though as I do hate my 1998 Camry DD and really like the current WRX haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info