When knowing a guy isn't always awesome.

Please review this thread

• Total voters

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Hi.
I'm John and I own of those despised GTO thingies from the mid 2000s. I am going to make a thread today and it is going to be about my car which currently has 30,6XX miles.

So last year some of you may recall the fiasco that was the new wheel and tire package that I put on my car. Moral of that store is Wheels America in EGV and Discount Tire in Crestwood need new jobs. Don't ask anymore about it as I paid a lot for counseling to forget it.

Well today's story is related to that fiasco but relates to a different shop.

This was from today:

TlWnxmx.jpg

38609b30daae381cf2580bd12f62cc21.jpg

a966e1db2616edcd5de623ba11b12850.jpg

I got my car aligned here because I knew a guy. I was referred to this particular shop because they do all the alignments at the body shop and they were always perfect. Well 1 year later and 3k miles my front tires are trashed.

Thankfully this shop did realign the car for free but here is where it gets even more fun. My guy nor this shop can find the paperwork that says the car was even aligned there... so basically this place did it out of the kindness of their hearts (I know we didn't expect to cry together but the warm fuzzies get me everytime).

So I need to go buy two new tires now, oh joy, and I have learned my final lesson and going to have my car touched because I know a guy. FUCK THAT SHIT. I did all the work under this car and when the tech checked it today he says everything is perfect. I send it to a pro and they fuck up... This shit infuriates me and I can't do anything about it since this was done "through my guy".

So in closing always be sure to install your trans cooler upside down and inside out. Don't trust people you sorta know to give you a referral to a pro because let's face it.... The Geek Squad are pros but who actually brings their computer there? Oh and I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Please don't like this. It'll ruin my reputation.

The guy who formerly only ever posted about his junky car in the bored thread,

nhoJ

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's strange that the toe is out on the front just about the same on both sides. That's obviously what caused the wear. It's like the cars height changed or something was wrong with the calibration of their machine.

I've had my car aligned and didn't like the way it felt so I took it back and the numbers on the toe were completely different than what I supposedly left with. Got it done again, and a year later it needed it again, and now it's a year later and it needs another one :picard: You want something done right, do it yourself, or have your secret friend do it at his secret shop. :noes:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What a pain in the ass. I wonder if we could set up a "TCG preferred" list for things like alignment, exhaust work, tire mounting, etc. where we have preferred shops for common items that are things most DIY guys almost have to outsource. It wouldn't be perfect because even the best shops occasionally get bad techs and fuck things up, but would be a good reference at least.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
What a pain in the ass. I wonder if we could set up a "TCG preferred" list for things like alignment, exhaust work, tire mounting, etc. where we have preferred shops for common items that are things most DIY guys almost have to outsource. It wouldn't be perfect because even the best shops occasionally get bad techs and fuck things up, but would be a good reference at least.

I think that would be a great idea.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have a guy (aside from my secret friend) that I personally think is one of the most honest best mechanics ever. He recently started his own business with a guy that's even better than he is, so I've sent every person I know to him. I'd 100% back up his work for anyone that needed stuff done to their car.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi

That is definitely a good idea.

[MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] Also, that sucks about the tires. I remember talking to you on the tour about all the crap you had to deal with on the rims. This kind of throws salt in that wound. What you have experienced is the reason I will almost refuse to take my car to a shop. I haven't found someone I can trust to consistently work on my car at all.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
This makes me want to buy alignment tools even more than I already did........

I aligned the Montero myself and so far the tire wear is dead even and it has 1,500 miles on it. This adds to my frustration.

dang dude. It sucks getting burned like that. I'm always hesitant myself, to pass work along. I care about my reputation and would hate for the shit to roll back downhill to me.

Thankfully it's only some tires and frustration and not bigger problems

:bigthumb:

I know a guy often backfires unfortunately. Luckily I usually "know a guy" who has a solid reputation, well, most of the time.

Sucks trusting people that should know how to do their job and obviously dont.

Where did you MIA at?

That's shitty dude.

I MIA by taking a pill in Ibiza

I know a john, he has a sad. I want to give him a feel.

:nutz:

That's shitty. Hopefully "that guy" wasn't someone you knew too well.

He's a guy from the neighborhood back in the day. I know many people who grew up with him and ran into him at a car show last year and we reconnected...

At least it wasn't our guy's "guy"

:squirts:

This is when the "I know a guy" turns in to, "fuck that guy"

It's strange that the toe is out on the front just about the same on both sides. That's obviously what caused the wear. It's like the cars height changed or something was wrong with the calibration of their machine.

I've had my car aligned and didn't like the way it felt so I took it back and the numbers on the toe were completely different than what I supposedly left with. Got it done again, and a year later it needed it again, and now it's a year later and it needs another one :picard: You want something done right, do it yourself, or have your secret friend do it at his secret shop. :noes:

It is dead even because I think they just flat out did it wrong somehow. Or baby jesus hates me?

I like this idea, but most shops recommended on here are outside my bubble.

I think that would be a great idea.

:amsoil: is always a good idea.

I have a guy (aside from my secret friend) that I personally think is one of the most honest best mechanics ever. He recently started his own business with a guy that's even better than he is, so I've sent every person I know to him. I'd 100% back up his work for anyone that needed stuff done to their car.

I like secrets

Friends dont let friends get bad service

Did they align it to Cavalier specs?

Seems obvious that is the problem here. My car isn't one of those race car cavaliers... It's a Sunfire.

That is definitely a good idea.

[MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] Also, that sucks about the tires. I remember talking to you on the tour about all the crap you had to deal with on the rims. This kind of throws salt in that wound. What you have experienced is the reason I will almost refuse to take my car to a shop. I haven't found someone I can trust to consistently work on my car at all.

which sucks because I don't have time to do all the shit on my honey do list so I need to learn to outsource... I test the waters and this happens... ugh

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

I thought that we had tried to start at least a rating database...I posted a couple of ratings, but don't know what ever came of it...but I agree, a sticky with some "preferred" or "highly rated" shops would be sort of cool. I know non-car people are always asking me where to bring their cars...and even people from out of town that want random stuff, because their area doesn't have any good or trusted shops...

John,

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Luckily I've not yet been burned by "my guy"...but there's always a first. How many miles did you get out of those tires?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Damn, that is frustrating.

:noes: yuuuuup

Hey buddy.

#justgtothings

Want it done right. Do it yourself.

I hope I see that sexy ass at the tour.

Both yours and the car's.

k bye

Heather and I were talking about the silkies over the weekend...

haaaaaaaaaaaaay buddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy

I thought that we had tried to start at least a rating database...I posted a couple of ratings, but don't know what ever came of it...but I agree, a sticky with some "preferred" or "highly rated" shops would be sort of cool. I know non-car people are always asking me where to bring their cars...and even people from out of town that want random stuff, because their area doesn't have any good or trusted shops...

John,

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Luckily I've not yet been burned by "my guy"...but there's always a first. How many miles did you get out of those tires?

About 3k... Backs are still minty. I wish those were the ones that burned up as I could have some fun burning them down or going wider or something...

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Assuming it's a staggered set and you can't just rotate them and do that?

You were living the stance life and didn't even know it.

Staggered directional tires. So I'm out the cash... You gotta pay to play!

:fu:

sorry to hear about this.
having worked at a dealer... I have seen some Hack-ish, sketchy stuff.

:dnc:

:squint:

Thread Info