Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Early model GTR

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Browsing eBay and I see that unmolested 6 speed MkIV supras go for around 50k. 2009 GTRs can be had for 60k. So in a few more years they might be the same price.

I've always had a love for the 90's high performance Jap cars. 300ZX, RX7, 3000GT, NSX but IMO the Supra with dat 2JZ was supreme. Even till this day I'm still impressed at how over-engineered the car was whenever I read about them.

For whatever reason the GTR didn't float my boat when it first came out but over the years the aftermarket has EXPLODED on these cars. I love that you can have a 9 sec GTR on street tires that doesn't have any compromises (or so I'm led to believe). With supras, I feel like the really fast ones get a big laggy single turbo, TH400 tranny + high stall and worst of all that loud ass annoying anti lag system! All of that ruins the car for what it was supposed to be IMO.

So what do y'all think, which would you rather own?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Well you are quite a bit off on your assessment of both cars. Ya, you can get a GTR to run 9s but at a typically high price. Modding a GTR is not at all cheap, even after all these years. And you most definitely have to consider the trans at that level of power / speed. You can pick one up for under 60k FYI.

As for the Supra, and after owning one, I would never ever buy another with an auto...unless your ultimate plan was to go 7s or something ridiculous, stick w/ the 6speed. You also dont need some huge laggy turbo to make power. Sure, maybe years back, but not these days. I had a 67 on my car and made 700 with room to spare...we just stopped b/c there was no need to test the motor for a street car.

And the anti lag system exists on both platforms and does for a reason.

If you're shopping both, save yourself the aggravation and buy a mildly built Supra for 30 or so grand or get an already tried and true 10 second GTR for in the 60s. I would not buy a bone stock Supra, ever...the prices are ridiculous and you're gonna spend a decent chunk converting over to single, etc etc (you dont have to but its worth it).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
NSX, Hands down.

I'd love to own a Ferrari F430 one day because I love the way they look, but buying the 'newest' NSX I could afford seems like a wise investment. I also don't think it would be hard to leave either of those cars mostly alone and just enjoy driving them as they are.

As much as I like RX7's, R32's, Supra's, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one as they are all nearing collectible status, and I'd want to modify any of those, which may risk obliterating their value as fewer and fewer examples are around.

I would not buy a bone stock Supra, ever...the prices are ridiculous and you're gonna spend a decent chunk converting over to single, etc etc (you dont have to but its worth it).

Yea, Bingo. Personally I wouldn't want to buy a pre-modified one because I'm too OCD and would worry about what was hacked together, and buying an unmolested one is crazy money.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
He mentions a bunch of JDM cars he loves but the post was about the Supra and GTR in particular.

I got the memo... Still rather have an NSX? :dunno:

If this were a poll with only two choices (Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge), Then I'd probably pick MkIV Supra because I like to row my own gears, and like the way it looks better.

*Edit*

Fucking Owned, there is a Poll... Its been a long day.

Add an "Neither" option.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
GTR no question..... Only problem you are going to run into now in certain events is everyone has one and every single one is a Alpha 10 or better now.

Great all around car though one of the best on the market if you can afford it. And can afford the mods.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I got the memo... Still rather have an NSX? :dunno:

If this were a poll with only two choices (Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge), Then I'd probably pick MkIV Supra because I like to row my own gears, and like the way it looks better.

*Edit*

Fucking Owned, there is a Poll... Its been a long day.

Add an "Neither" option.

Sorry your either voting Republican or Democrat, no independent on this ballot.

Just a hypothetical comparison between these 2 cars.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So what was the deal with the early GTR's blowing their trans? Was it the gears, the case the clutches? Can you put a Shep trans kit in an 09 box and make it as good as a 2016?
It was overblown. Not to say it wasn't happening. Nissan adjusted the launch control and that seemed to clear things up.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
gtr because awd game over sorry.

i love the look of the supras no doubt but as [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] pointed out they can have a massive price difference depending on what you are actually looking to buy between the 2.

if i had the money for a gtr you can bet your ass if drive it in the winter.

cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed i dont care if we are talking a daily driver turd box commuter or a ferrari.

makes me sad when people covet and pamper cars that are mass produced and nothing extremely rare or special.

gtr because all wheel drive. drive it daily rain snow or shine with a smile!!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
He mentions a bunch of JDM cars he loves but the post was about the Supra and GTR in particular.

Cause Dasfinc wants what he wants, even in other peoples threads. DUH.

Supra is very cool and all, but Im a big technology guy. I would probably be happier spending either the same or a bit more money and having the GTR.

Either way, both need a spoiler change IMO. UGLAY WINGS!!

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Yup
869ac21f28803cd898ecd74662694a71.jpg

Thread Info