Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
From here - Traded in my 2015 STi for a 2016 Golf R, here are my thoughts after 4 days - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Background

The reason I started looking for a car to replace the 2015 STi is because I no longer felt that I could rely on it as a daily driver. It was Stage 2, started misfiring, and when I brought it back to stock, it stopped. I got the engine compression and leak down tested when the car was being brought to stock and the engine showed no issues, but after reading all the horror stories of blown stock engines I just didnā€™t feel like this car could get my from point A to B reliably any more. Itā€™s important to me to have peace of mind with a daily driver and it was simply gone after the fiasco I went through.

First Impressions

My friend and I took a 5.5 hour drive to New Jersey to pick up the car on Saturday. The car in question was a 2016 Golf R in Lapiz Blue with a manual transmission and DCC/Nav. We were definitely a little fatigued when we got there, but as soon as we did the salesman tossed me the keys to the R to let me test drive it to make sure it was what I wanted. The second I sat in it and drove 10 feet, my friend and I were both relieved knowing we would have a MUCH more comfortable ride back home.

I had a stock short throw shifter on my STi so one of the first things I noticed was the long throw of the shifter compared to that. Compared to the STi, the Golf Rā€™s transmission is a lot more forgiving when it comes to less-than-perfect shifts. If you had a less-than-perfect shift in the STi the car would definitely let you know it wasnā€™t happy. The Golf R will obviously still let you know but it isnā€™t nearly as violent. The clutch in the Golf R is also much lighter than the STi.

I definitely agree with all of the throttle lag complaints. You certainly have to have more time to ā€œplanā€ a downshift compared to the STi. Itā€™s certainly one thing I hope is fixed with a tune, which I will get eventually.

Interior

It goes without saying but the interior of the Golf R is leagues ahead of the STi. In the STi it was extremely apparent where costs were cut in the interior. For example, the window switches on the driverā€™s side only had one-touch up/down for the driverā€™s window. The other windows didnā€™t have one-touch up/down. Really Subaru? How much did you save there per car, a couple bucks if that? Another issue I had was that the optional Kicker Subwoofer caused the rear center brake light to violently rattle. Itā€™s definitely an issue that Subaru had to have noticed during QA but simply didnā€™t care about. Any reviewer will tell you that the money went into the chassis and engine and itā€™s 100% true.

The VW interior is a nice German interior with very German cup holders. Every material that you would touch in the VW (buttons, steering wheel, radio) feels worlds ahead of the STi. The navigation system is comparable to the aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX that I had in the Subaru. The system also has Android Auto, Apple Carplay, and Mirrorlink, so I donā€™t think itā€™ll ever go obsolete as long as these 3 platforms keep getting developed.

Drivability

One of the things I was almost certain I would lose when going from the STi to the Golf R were the STiā€™s amazing handling abilities. The last Golf I drove was a mk5 GTi and it handled like you would think a FWD car would. This feeling quickly eroded when I took my first few corners in the Golf R. For street use, I think the car handles fantastic. Iā€™m sure on a track these two cars would feel completely different in the handling department, but for spirited backroad driving I donā€™t think one car is vastly superior to the other. In race mode the car feels as planted and willing to dive into corners as the STi.

Speaking of the different modes, theyā€™re excellent and work as advertised. I love putting the car in comfort mode on my daily commute and then switching it quickly to race mode when Iā€™m about to take an on or off-ramp. I had an e92 M3 with EDC and never bothered switching it up because I didnā€™t really feel a discernable difference between the harshest and softest settings. The differences were very apparent when going over the GW bridge on the way home and switching between race and comfort. The bumps every 20 feet on the bridge felt completely different between the two modes.

Putting around town is also much better in the Golf R than the STi. The gearing is A LOT longer in the Golf R, so staying in 3rd is no big deal when youā€™re cruising around in the 30-40mph range. You have to be a lot more attentive to the gear youā€™re in with the STi around town.

What I donā€™t like about the Golf R

The STi, even stock, has a much better sounding exhaust than the Golf R. You can barely hear the exhaust in the Golf R compared to the STi. The biggest disappointment we had when coming home was going through a long, narrow tunnel in CT. We put the car in race mode and put the windows down. Right away the fatal flaw of the engine speaker (soundaktor?) was apparent. Since the engine speaker is piped into the cabin, when you open your windows the sound actually gets quieter because itā€™s no longer bouncing off the windows. We gunned it through the tunnel and barely heard anything. I do plan on getting an intake and downpipe sometime in the future, but I may have to add an AWE exhaust to the mix.

That all being said, I donā€™t plan on turning off or adjusting the volume of the engine speaker. I actually donā€™t mind the sound that comes out of it. I completely understand why people have gripes with it though.

Conclusion

Iā€™m obviously still very much in the honeymoon phase but the Golf R is a much better car for me than the STi as a daily driver. I keep telling this to people that asked me why I switched; the STi is the car I would have loved to have when I was 19, but Iā€™m 29 now. If I was more into track days/autocross I might prefer the STi, but even then, I would rather buy a miata or something and use that for the track vs. a 4 door tuned family sedan. The STi definitely made me way more attentive to my shifting habits and in turn it definitely made me a lot more proficient at driving stick. I will definitely miss the Subaru wave I got from everyone, but I think thatā€™s a minor price to pay for a much more comfortable ride.

P.S. This question came up in my mind so a lot of you will probably be wondering the same; why didnā€™t you wait for the Focus RS? I suppo

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
In my 06 STI I got around 18 for city driving I think. I also went through two short blocks, two turbos, two sets of cams, two pairs of heads, two clutches, and four different tunes... Ps not all that happened at once, they spaced themselves out so I had to pull my motor about 4 separate times... Mm Subaru, they all wave at each other so they know they have a friend to help them push their car home when it blows up.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Good to hear Suby still builds their motors like shit. Sounds like the guy had a shitty tune tho and freaked out.

My cousin bought a brand new 2014 WRX and at 4K miles it started knocking bad. 100% stock too. Took 4 months to get his motor replaced because they couldn't make motors fast enough to replace all the broken shit.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
My 04 wrx sees about 24mpg on average with mixed city driving and canyon driving. Back in Illinois and seeing mostly highway I'd see like 26-28mpg depending on season.

It's never gotten amazing highway but stop and go and city driving I can't complain.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
blue 02 wrx w/ intake, up, dp, exhaust, and no tune - averaged about 25hwy and 21 combined

Black 01 wrx w/ intake, up, dp, exhaust, 18g, tune, and RAsti trans - barely got 20mpg highway (i blame horrible gearing and shitty tune)

Gold 04 forester XT - stock got about 23/24mpg highway - now it has everything Cobb makes... intake, up, dp, exhaust, access port w/ OTS stage 3 map - now gets about 28mpg highway

And all my other stock non turbo Subarus avg mid to low 20s mpg highway

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
I haven't owned anything newer then 04, and don't plan on it - i like the older ones - so i really can't say -

but that being said, you can break everything, or understand a cars weak points / limitations and drive around them...

Case in point, 02/03 wrx transmissions are known to be "made of glass"... never broke a stock one, only broke the upgraded jdm "stronger" one

Same with my srt4 - car made well over 400hp and at 70k miles, so had the factory transmission and axles

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I bought my 04 with 55k on it. Rod bearing failure at 85k. It now has 160k on it. Stock trans and even clutch. It's had plenty of shit go bad over the years but when it works it's a phenomenal car to drive and it annoys the fuck out of me to say that :rofl:

If you go in to it knowing something is going to go boom and can get over that then they're great cars to drive. It helps knowing the in's and outs of them and doing your own work. I can pull an engine in an hour and put one back in a bit more time.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I want a golf R now that you can get the '16 in manual.

VW's have their flaws as well. From what I hear they aren't that bad as long as you keep up with the maintenance schedule. It only calls for oil changes every 10K but I do mine at 5 in between dealer visits. That being said I did just recently have a fuel injector fail 270 miles from home and VW paid for it all including the rental car.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I want a golf R now that you can get the '16 in manual.

VW's have their flaws as well. From what I hear they aren't that bad as long as you keep up with the maintenance schedule. It only calls for oil changes every 10K but I do mine at 5 in between dealer visits. That being said I did just recently have a fuel injector fail 270 miles from home and VW paid for it all including the rental car.

Having owned a MK6 GTI and knowing quite a few that have, once it hits 36K+ and is out of warranty it can get a little scary. Most of the guys from our group back in 2011-2013 only kept the car at most 2 years. Between 4 owners I keep in touch with, collectively there were 4 water pumps, a radiator, clutch with 10K miles, and 2 ECUs replaced under warranty.

Service was good and they did accommodate with rentals, but the car was a time bomb. My car had electrical gremlins, car going into limp mode, and then fuel pump failures ultimately made me decide to trade it in.

I agree with most of the OP in terms of fun to drive and creature comforts but I will never, ever, own another VAG car.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I bought my 04 with 55k on it. Rod bearing failure at 85k. It now has 160k on it. Stock trans and even clutch. It's had plenty of shit go bad over the years but when it works it's a phenomenal car to drive and it annoys the fuck out of me to say that :rofl:

If you go in to it knowing something is going to go boom and can get over that then they're great cars to drive. It helps knowing the in's and outs of them and doing your own work. I can pull an engine in an hour and put one back in a bit more time.

I had to quote this because that 2nd part is EXACTLY why I've owned like 7 shit box wbodies. LOL they are like working on a lego and stupid easy to find parts for. On a very very rare occasion Ive ever walked into whatever random parts store and been turned away for not having what I needed right away.

:bowrofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info