Winter Blend Gas

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I usually assume they switched over when I see a consistent drop in my MPG for the week. I average between 25-26 in the summer. And when they switch over it drops about 1MPG. Then when I put the winter tires on, I see about a 2MPG drop from the extra rolling resistance.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Higher butane leads to lower BTU/gallon for winter gasoline. The difference in BTUs is about 2-3% from summer to winter. BTU content is directly related to fuel economy, so expect to see a similar drop in fuel economy from summer to winter.

The drops happen slowly in steps from summer to winter, so it's nearly impossible to see that as it happens. They are based on a monthly schedule, not the outside air temperatures. The biggest jump occurs when the EPA summer season ends on September 15th.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Just my .02

Don't ever just rely on the pump to be good enough for anti gelling.

Buy a bottle of stuff and dump it in when filling. Do that every tank and you won't have an issue.

When they went to super low sulfur, the gelling increased 10 fold. The 1st winter was a nightmare.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
We don't drive our truck in winter actually (it gets put into storage with the race car and trailer) and we usually try to get old-skool biodiesel since our 2001 duramax doesn't so as well with the new ultra low sulfer (not as good lubrication) blend..

..I just know the bio content goes down with winter formula too unfortunatley :( ....I heard it can be 25% in summer but 5% or less in winter

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info