Mike K Drives: Porsche Cayman

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Boxster used to be synonymous with compromise. For most, it represented a departure from what made Porsche great. It came at a time when Porsche was really hard up for money and so to save costs the Boxster and the 911 both received the same front end right down to the ugly headlights. Both cars were ugly. You might disagree but you'd be wrong.

More of the Same

In 2005 the Boxster received a redesign and a new number: now the the 987. Much like it's predecessor this Boxster shared styling cues with another Porsche model: the Cayman. To be introduced in 2006, the Cayman shared every Boxster body panel from the doors forward including most of the interior. But the Cayman looked different. It didn't look like the entry level Porsche; it just looked like a Porsche. In some respects it paid homage to past 911's better than the 911 did.

P0AtOuW.jpg

And so I drove one. It was a 2007; year two of the Cayman. It was a fairly pedestrian model, sparing the navigation and the optional 6 speed manual transmission for a 5 speed. It didn't have the Bose system or the HID headlights but it was red. RED!

Drivetrain

For 2007 you got two engine choices with the Cayman: a 2.7L 6 making 241 horsepower and 201 lb/ ft of torque or if you opted for the Cayman S displacement was bumped to 3.4 liters, horsepower to 291 and torque to 251. Both engines were flat 6 boxer motors and both sat behind the passenger compartment, leaving you with both a front trunk and a rear hatch. More on that later.

I haven't driven the Cayman S but I would make an argument that the 2.7 base engine is the engine to have. It's fast enough to make the car quick yet slow enough that you can still wind the car through the gears and hear the exhaust. Above 4000rpm it's a hoot.

To me a good manual setup for a street car should have an effortless clutch. Something so light and easy to use that you forget about it. This is that. The clutch pedal requires light effort and grabs right in the middle of travel. The clutch itself is smooth without slipping, a testament to having such a light car. You don't need to over-engineer things to compensate for weight.

jXKVAoW.jpg

Handling/ Chassis

What can I say? It's like driving a gokart on the street. It's an impossibly light, short wheelbase, mid-engine car. You point it and it goes. Turn-in is really quick and there's great feedback from the steering. This is a car without a lot of nannies and you don't care because it's really easy to drive. There's never a feeling like it's going to let go. I'm sure it has limits but they are far above what my confidence level as a driver will let me go.

Interior

Most people don't know that the 997 911 had a wretched interior. Materials were cheap and after a few years your gray interior would have faded to several different shades. Things squeaked and rattled and just all around were not great. They finally fixed this with the Panamera and then with the 2011+ Cayenne and now finally the Cayman and Boxster which have amazing interiors.

This interior is post 997 911 so it's an improvement over that however it pre-dates the gorgeous interiors they make now so it's nowhere near as nice as those. To be honest, it still feels cheap. Materials are hard and coated in soft touch material that after only 60,000 miles was starting to chip off in places. The dash was hard plastic as were the door panels. The carpet underneath the window in the hatchback had a mesh pattern bleached into it from the cargo net blocking out the sun. Maybe some of that can be attributed to the California sun but it's not something I've really seen in any other car of this price tag so I tend to consider stuff like that inexcusable.

Are you buying a Porsche for it's interior?

Fuck no. The car is amazing. For a weekend throw around vehicle or even a daily driver, these are amazing cars to buy and leave stock. They won't be the fastest thing on the street but the first time you take a turn you'll instantly stop caring. Much like the S2000 was an amazing car not necessarily for it's outright quickness but it's overall capabilities, the base Cayman is a car that excels at being just downright fun to drive. How much power it makes won't ever enter the equation in your brain cavity. It will be concentrating to much on holding a smile.

Would I Buy One?

Yes. And I even tried. We went back and forth for the better part of a day and ultimately came up $500 apart, neither of us willing concede that last $500. And so for now it hasn't happened but who knows... Maybe he texts me later and tells me to come on by.

PS: It's all about Perception

Most people look at the Boxster and despite having been a very competent car for the last 10 years, immediately write it off as an entry level Porsche for people that just want to drive a Porsche. People don't do that with the Cayman despite the fact that it's basically identical to the Boxster. In fact, most people you'll talk to don't even know where the Cayman falls in Porsche's lineup. They don't know if it's a cheaper 911 or just another sports car with a different name. Because of that the car gets a lot of stares. In the hour I had the car I had a handful of people complement it or rubberneck. You don't get that in a Boxster.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
To me, the only reason you buy the base is because you can't afford the S, you don't know what you're doing, or you just care about getting a Porsche badge and nothing more. The S is widely regarded as a great drivers car, and leaps and bounds better overall.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You can get the 6 speed manual as an option on the base car. I drove the 5. I didn't mind the 5 at all. I haven't driven the 6 so I can't say whether or not that makes the car appreciably better. Maybe it does but the 5 certainly wasn't a negative mark against the car.

I have a hard time understanding why you think the base/5 speed is better than the S/6 speed? You throw an LSD into an S, and it's base 911 fast from what I've heard. Yeah the base may be a bit more theatric, but the S isn't THAT fast.

Well first off I didn't say it was better. I said I thought it was the engine to have because on the street you can wind it out more than you'd be able to wind out the 3.4. As an example the M5 was silly fast but I could never row the gears on that car. I'd get through one gear and I'd be going so fast I'd have to let off. Same with the 535. But with cars like the old V6 Taurus SHO that didn't necessarily make a lot of power they were a little more engaging in the sense that you could wind them out and row through the gears without the worry of earning yourself a reckless driving citation. That and then there's this...

1. The 3.4 suffers from cylinder bore scoring. It also suffers from the famous IMS bearing failure that renders your engine a paperweight should it fail. The 2.7 does as well however when I asked on the forums about the real potential for failure nobody could really recall a specific 2.7 actually failing. The 3.4 also suffers from cooling problems and some oiling problems. It's a handful. If you were to post on the boards right now which is the car to get I think most people would tell you that if you don't need the 3.4 to go with the 2.7. That has been my experience in researching the car.

2. You're wrong with respect to the S being so much better. General consensus is that neither the Cayman base or the Cayman S is going to blow you away on acceleration but the Cayman S is faster obviously. The base is also really competent driver though. Read up on the original reviews of the car.s Even if you hop on the Porsche forums there is a lot of love for the base car. Nobody regards it as a truly lesser car. They regard it as a slower accelerating car which it is but it's not like comparing a BMW 3 series to an M3 where the M3 has significantly larger brakes, a better suspension, LSD, etc. The S gets a larger displacement engine, white face gauges, an S badge on the rear and ever so slightly larger brakes. Other than a power bump, a hugely improvement over the base it is not.

To me, the only reason you buy the base is because you can't afford the S, you don't know what you're doing, or you just care about getting a Porsche badge and nothing more. The S is widely regarded as a great drivers car, and leaps and bounds better overall.

Have you driven the base? Have you seen how highly regarded they are? You act as if it's a Porsche in name only and is an otherwise unremarkable car. It is essentially the same car with a smaller displacement engine in it. Again, read some articles about the base car. The press loved it. Enthusiasts love it. When I took it to the mechanic yesterday to have him look it over he said that the 2.7 Cayman was his favorite in regards to balancing speed and reliability.

Mike K masks his idiocy with long winded paragraphs with little actual knowledge and information, that's why.

I take it as a complement that you think I can mask my idiocy.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Huh? Cars with 6 speeds typically have shorter gears. You'd be able to "row" gears more in the 6 speed even with the bigger engine and have the benefit of more power.

*edit* you'll also be able to "wind" out the motor because of the shorter gears.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Jesus tits some of you have the reading comprehension of three year olds. I never said anything about being able to row the gears more with the 5 speed. I said it with respect to the 3.4 engine's power versus the 2.7's and after reading some reviews after the dissenting opinions I got here I found that by and large journalists tended to share my assertion or at least didn't think the "S" was a must. Who would have fucking thought?

The 5 speed versus 6 is a different issue altogether. The 6 is better I'm sure. You can get them in the base car but the lack of one wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I don't even know why I bother posting this stuff here. At least my haters on Jalopnik are well informed.

Yes my jimmies are rustled.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i drove a more recent cayman s at exotics racing in vegas. it was the cheapest car to run, although they had a special for some others, i still went for the cayman because it was the lightest option. a buddy drove an sls amg and we got the same lap time down to the thousandth of a second, despite having 250 more hp than me i was still surprised he zipped around that quickly/me that slowly, he had never been on a track before.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I am sure the review made some good points, but I literally could not read it because I kept thinking of just how ugly the car is. The rear end of them is hideous! No bueno.

Agreed. This and the Boxster has always given off a Miata vibe to me...cheap alternatives to a sports car, and that 99% of the drivers are either 25 year old douchebags, or 50 year old's going through a mid life crisis that wanted something "better" than a Corvette.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info