Another what car thread...

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
So Im wondering if I can use TCG's expertise on what vehicle I should look into purchasing next(3 months away). I currently rock a POS 2007 GP with about 90k on it so anything I get is going to be an upgrade. Here are some qualifications that I know it has to have...
  • 4 Doors (Have one kid and eventually more on the way)
  • Under 25k, prefer to be under 20k but hey
  • Under 60k miles at max
  • Fun to drive (i.e. something fast or easily modable)
  • Reliable (or budget for extended warranty)
  • Nice Looking
  • Preferably a decent interior

So some cars I have thought about but not have driven yet

2006-2008 Trailblazer SS
Pros
  • -Fast (ls2)
  • -Large
  • -Cheap
  • -Exterior looks nice
Cons
  • -Bad MPG
  • -Not so nice interior
  • -Already 8 years old min

New Gen SHO
Pros
  • -Fast
  • -Easily Modable
  • -Good MPG
  • -Nice Interior
Cons
  • -Heard they aren't fun to drive as they are large
  • -Am I really at that stage in my life where thats what I want?

Thought about looking into a 535 as mikek seems to swing by them, but I am not sure I like the body style of the 08-09 and that is all that I can probably afford.

Any other suggestions?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The Trailblazer SS is a turd. If you want a vehicle that you're even remotely going to want to enjoy spending time in get something else. The interior in that gen Grand Prix was pretty decent so even going from there the TBSS is going to be a downgrade unless you like several different shades of the same gray hard plastic. Then you'll LOVE it.

Out of the cars listed I'd go with the 535 because the drivetrain has proven to be more reliable, even when abused. Second hand information here but I believe they're having issues with the transmission in the SHO.

As for the looks, the M-Sport cars look much better than the standard cars. Standard:

2008-bmw-5-series.jpg

MSport
DQ_640.jpg

They are surprisingly reliable if you can deal with the small stuff plus you get stuff you'd never get in a Ford or Chevy like the Harmon Kardon system, heads up display, a killer nav system with traffic, etc.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
owing any german car out of warranty is a major NO GO! keep that in mind when these suggestions come up.

If you can do basic wrenching you can keep an E60 5 series on the road. It's a very easy car to work on with very predictable, easy to fix and well documented problems. As the tech on domestic cars starts matching that of imports you're seeing domestic cars start to cost almost as much to fix. Price out a transmission on that SHO or a head gasket.

The N54 powertrain has proven to be bullet proof. The guys that mod for power don't even monitor for knock. Some of them don't even know what it is because the car does such a good job of shutting things down if it senses any kind of issues. You don't see engine failures. The same can't be said for the SHO.

So for me it's a math equation. Do I want a car that's more likely to break and will cost less when it does or a car that's less likely to break and will cost more if when it does? It's kind of a wash and the reason the 535 is such a steal is because all the issues with the high pressure fuel pumps when they came out in 2008 completely decimated their reliability ratings, not because they're still unreliable.

If you can deal with regular plug changes, on occasional fuel injector and a walnut blast of the intake every 40 - 50k the 335/ 535 are awesome cars.

This is of course the exception to the rule. I wouldn't touch another A8 or a modern BMW out of warranty or really any German car, Jag or Maserati for that matter.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
How is it old? You're considering a TBSS which is older..

I know, one of the cons about the ss its age (says min 8 years old)

i don't think sho's get super gas mileage.
Compared to an SS trailblazer it is...

The Trailblazer SS is a turd. If you want a vehicle that you're even remotely going to want to enjoy spending time in get something else. The interior in that gen Grand Prix was pretty decent so even going from there the TBSS is going to be a downgrade unless you like several different shades of the same gray hard plastic. Then you'll LOVE it.

Out of the cars listed I'd go with the 535 because the drivetrain has proven to be more reliable, even when abused. Second hand information here but I believe they're having issues with the transmission in the SHO.

As for the looks, the M-Sport cars look much better than the standard cars. Standard:

I have heard issues of trans problems (thought it was for more of the higher end modification cars). I would just do a tune..

In regards to the BMW I am just afraid of the repair bills....

And out of curiosity, how do you not know how much you sold a car for?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
owing any german car out of warranty is a major NO GO! keep that in mind when these suggestions come up.

100% agree. Parts are pricey and reliability is always in the back of my mind. Mike's had good luck with the 535, but my friend had the exact opposite experience. His E60 535 was in the shop quite a bit as it had issues with stalling (left him stranded twice). They replaced the intake manifold and fuel pump under the CPO warranty, so he didn't have to pay a hefty repair bill.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I have heard issues of trans problems (thought it was for more of the higher end modification cars). I would just do a tune..

Earlier E60's suffer from relatively easy to fix (but over $1000) mechatronics failures.

In regards to the BMW I am just afraid of the repair bills....

Yeah I mean if I'm being honest the worst case scenario on a BMW is always going to cost more than the worst case scenario on a Ford. I owned my 550 with 110,000 miles on it with the only issue I had being a cracked coolant expansion tank. It cost $120 and took 10 minutes to put in. I had standard N54 issues on the 535. New plugs and 6 new injectors in the two years I owned it and the injectors weren't failing. They just weren't putting up with the E85 and the dealer didn't check to see if I had it in the tank. :) That car was out of warranty by a year when I sold it and I was never nervous.

And out of curiosity, how do you not know how much you sold a car for?

I deal with numbers and negotiating all day. Sometimes the numbers turn into a big mess. I'm 99% sure it was 24k though. It was definitely under 25k.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I never thought I would see soooo much negativity towards the SHO lol!

Does anyone have any opinions on the 13 Chargers with the hemi?

Great car but has its reliability quirks. It's a Chrysler product, after all. AWD models don't lose their RWD-like handling. The five-speed is decent but that car really came to life with the introduction of the 8-speed later on. Can get a ton of tech for the money and has full-size room. I'd go Charger R/T over SHO without a doubt even with those reliability concerns. Can't beat that V-8 sound. Look for the Road & Track trim level with the Super Track Package. That's the most entertaining of the performance packages before stepping up to the SRT8.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info