Avoiding an emissions test in Indiana

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I have 4 cars due in July, so I started doing a little research on how to get out of this. They have to test my 1993 Lincoln which is plain dumb.
Luckily, I stumbled upon this handy tidbit:

326 IAC 13-1.1-4 Alternative fuel vehicles
Authority: IC 13-1; IC 13-7-7-5
Affected: IC 13-1-1; IC 13-7-1-1; IC 13-7-7
Sec. 4. (a) Dual fuel vehicles are subject to the requirements of this rule and shall be tested on gasoline.
(b) Dedicated alternative fuel vehicles which are operated exclusively on the following fuels are not subject to the
requirements of this rule:
(1) Compressed natural gas.
(2) Liquified natural gas.
(3) Propane.
(4) Ethanol.
(5) Hydrogen.
(6) Methanol.
(c) The owner or operator of a vehicle meeting the requirements of subsection (b) must present the vehicle at a facility for
inspection and verification of the vehicle's status as a dedicated alternative fuel vehicle. (Air Pollution Control Division; 326 IAC
13-1.1-4; filed Jun 21, 1995, 4:00 p.m.: 18 IR 2732; readopted filed Jan 10, 2001, 3:20 p.m.: 24 IR 1477)

Full link here: http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03260/A00130.PDF?

How does one prove their vehicle is run solely on ethanol is the question?
Change the gas cap? Add an emblem?
I'd like to be prepared.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have 4 cars due in July, so I started doing a little research on how to get out of this. They have to test my 1993 Lincoln which is plain dumb.
Luckily, I stumbled upon this handy tidbit:

326 IAC 13-1.1-4 Alternative fuel vehicles
Authority: IC 13-1; IC 13-7-7-5
Affected: IC 13-1-1; IC 13-7-1-1; IC 13-7-7
Sec. 4. (a) Dual fuel vehicles are subject to the requirements of this rule and shall be tested on gasoline.
(b) Dedicated alternative fuel vehicles which are operated exclusively on the following fuels are not subject to the
requirements of this rule:
(1) Compressed natural gas.
(2) Liquified natural gas.
(3) Propane.
(4) Ethanol.
(5) Hydrogen.
(6) Methanol.
(c) The owner or operator of a vehicle meeting the requirements of subsection (b) must present the vehicle at a facility for
inspection and verification of the vehicle's status as a dedicated alternative fuel vehicle. (Air Pollution Control Division; 326 IAC
13-1.1-4; filed Jun 21, 1995, 4:00 p.m.: 18 IR 2732; readopted filed Jan 10, 2001, 3:20 p.m.: 24 IR 1477)

Full link here: http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03260/A00130.PDF?

How does one prove their vehicle is run solely on ethanol is the question?
Change the gas cap? Add an emblem?
I'd like to be prepared.

Here is the section I think you are looking for. You will have to prove somehow that your vehicle has been converted to 100 percent ethanol only and cannot run and gasoline.

If any emission control devices are found in a tampered condition, the devices shall be repaired or replaced prior to any initial
testing, retesting, or reinspection as provided in section 8(f) of this rule.

(b) Alteration of a vehicle's chassis configuration from a certified to a noncertified configuration is prohibited. In the
inspection process, vehicles that have been altered from their original, certified configuration are to be tested in the same manner
as other subject vehicles as follows:

(1) Vehicles with engines other than the engine originally installed by the manufacturer or an identical replacement of the
engine shall be subject to the inspection standards for the chassis type and model year for all parts that are part of the original
or now-applicable certified configuration.

(2) Vehicles in which the engine of one (1) fuel type has been replaced or modified to an engine of a different fuel type that
is subject to the I/M program, such as from a diesel engine to a gasoline engine, shall be subject to the following:
(A) The test procedures and standards for the current fuel type.
(B) The requirements in subdivision (1).

(3) Vehicles that are switched to a fuel type for which there is no certified configuration shall be tested according to the most
stringent I/M gasoline emission standards established for that vehicle type and model year. Emission control device
requirements may be waived if the department determines that the alternatively fueled vehicle configuration would meet the
new vehicle standards for the model year without the devices.

(c) Mixing vehicle classes, such as light-duty with heavy-duty, and certification types, such as California with federal, within
a single vehicle configuration shall be considered tampering.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info