IM me if you wanna know more ;)

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Unless you are using a electronic throttle body, I don't think paddle shifters would work very well. The program would need to blip the throttle for downshifts. But if you manually do it, the computer thinks there is going to be extra load and acts funky.

I say Go Manual with it if you want to control gears. If drag racing, full auto all the way.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Unless you are using a electronic throttle body, I don't think paddle shifters would work very well. The program would need to blip the throttle for downshifts. But if you manually do it, the computer thinks there is going to be extra load and acts funky.

I say Go Manual with it if you want to control gears. If drag racing, full auto all the way.

Not one car BESIDES factory race cars blip the throttle on downshifts. It'll work just like if I were to downshift using the shifter.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)

It will be more of a street car than anything, but of course visit the strip.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Not one car BESIDES factory race cars blip the throttle on downshifts. It'll work just like if I were to downshift using the shifter.

Unless you consider the Pontiac G8's a factory race car, then yes, there are cars out there that have the programming to blip the throttle on a manu-matic downshift. I am sure that there are others within the GM 6L80E family as well.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
It'll make a 4l80 into an 8 speed. Changes the shift solenoids and programming. And last I checked an auto didn't need rev matching.

Perhaps I missed something else you were referring to, but just changing shift solenoids and programming will not be able to change the amount of gears that a transmission has. Something like that is based upon the "hard parts" configuration, so to speak. I can only assume you are referring to that whole split shift crap using a different planetary gear set, different VB w/ 3rd solenoid and programmer to manipulate the OD clutches in a manner to give 6 different ratios is what I assume you are talking about. But that doesn't seem like a viable option in a stock 4L where said clutches aren't upgraded to handle any sort of significant friction load and the gear ratio spread of the stock planetary is the same as stock.

Any vehicle that is at a coasting speed and needs to shift to a numerically lower gear, while retaining the same speed or wanting to engine brake, benefits from rev matching regardless of if it has an auto or manual transmission. Otherwise there will be one hell of a jerk felt by the driver, and also one hell of a lot more needless shock load put on hard parts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info