Lead Pipe's tater adventure (drove all 3 full size half tons)

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Sooooo at risk of being called a Brian I will post up my experiences with all 3 half tons. :bowrofl:

I am starting to get into the market for a 1500 crew cab and actually went into this with an open mind. My Escape has over 200k and I have a need for a full size truck so I started doing some homework. My previous experience with 1500's is I owned an 06 F150 Lariat and never really liked it. Also I am a complete GM nut hugger and recently purchased a Cherokee Trailhawk for the lady.

My criteria is:
1500 1/2 ton
N/A gas V8
4x4
Crew cab
Short box
Heated seats and steering wheel
Buckets with center console
Large screen in dash
Back up cam
Nicely equipped

This meant no Eco-boost, no Eco-diesel and no V6's of any sort. I test drove 3 2015's (Ram Express Blackout, Ram Sport, Silverado Z71) and 1 2014 (F-150 FX4). I went into this thinking would be buying a 2014 pre-owned and the Ram and Chevy have no huge changes from 2014-2015. The F-150 is a complete redesign for 2015 and is most likely out of my budget.

My first test drive was the Ram. I drove a 15 Express Blackout Quad cab with the Hemi and 8 speed trans. I wouldn't have given Dodge a second thought had they not offered the ZF 8 speed. The reason I drove such a bare bones truck and a quad cab was to get the feel of the drive train. The dealer did not have a Sport on the lot. First off the truck looks bad ass. It was all blacked out with tinted tail lights, black badges and black projector head lights. It was impressive until you stepped inside. It was basically a work truck. Bench seat, small in dash screen the size of a tictac box and all plastic. I reminded myself I was just testing the drive train. This dealer threw me the keys and let us take it out on our own. The truck drove awesome. Power and torque were great, trans was flawless and felt like a truck should. I was able to really hammer on the truck which was awesome. My only grip was that I wished they cut down the width of the console a couple inches and moved the seats in for more shoulder room. I felt a but cramped unless I had my arm on the window sill. Probably not an issue for most people but I have very wide shoulders. This test drive made me want to drive the Sport. MSRP was just a touch over 40k and with incentives it was listed at 35K. Kind of ridiculous for a base model truck albeit it did look bad ass from the outside.

Next up was the FX4. 2014 model, crew cab, leather, sunroof, 5.0, 6AT. I know everyone is going to jump all over me about the eco-boost. Basically I don't want to pay for the head ache. I want a DD that I can tow a boat, car and ATV's so I feel that a 5.0 is my best bet. First thoughts on the ferd is that it looked pretty cool. I hate chrome so the FX4 looked the part. Pretty aggressive yet still more subdued than the Ram. Inside it was, well, an F150. I feel like the interiors have had the same leather wrapped lego look since 2005. Screen was nice, features were nice, heated and cooled seats. I loved the console and I felt very roomy. Off we went on the test drive, with the salesman. I couldn't really get on it but when I did it felt pretty gutless. I am guessing it's the lack of torque or gearing. I was underwhelmed to say the least. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised with the the F-150 as a whole. It felt more like a car than the Ram which wasn't exactly a bad thing. But as I exited the truck I realized that my legs hurt just as they did with my 06. They put a bar across the seat that just irritates me. This in itself is enough for me not to buy the truck. Price point was pretty good though. MSRP was 48K but incentives were plentiful and the truck would have been about 38K. Pretty good deal but my guess is most of the money off is due to a redesign.

The next weekend I was able to locate a Ram Sport crew cab. I was very excited to test drive this as it was exactly what I want and I have been leaning towards the Ram. Appearance was close to the blackout except the badges are chrome and the wheels are silver. It had a black exterior and IMO the Ram just looks right. It is arguably the best looking truck on the market. The interior is where this truck shined. Leather everywhere, supportive buckets and a huge 8.4" in dash screen. The controls were very familiar since it's the same screen and Uconnect that the Cherokee has. On the test drive, with the salesman mind you, it felt a little more sluggish than the express. I couldn't really get on it so maybe it was in my head. The truck still drove awesome but I still felt just a little tight in the drivers seat. Overall though, this seemed to be the one so I spent a little longer at the dealer running numbers. The truck I drove had a couple options I didn't need like rambox, cooled seats and air shocks. After building a new truck the MSRP was 47K and with current incentives I was shocked at the price of 40K even. This is for a 2015 and I imagine incentives will only get better as the year comes to a close. It is possible I could buy brand new. I optioned this truck perfectly for myself with out any fluff I don't need.

Last up was the Silverado. Although my mind was 95% made up I wanted to do my due diligence since I am such a GM swinger. First off I absolutely hate the fact that GM is the only manufacturer that does not offer body colored bumpers and grill. I test drove a 2015 Z71 LTZ 5.3 and to my surprise they don't offer the 8speed with the 5.3 yet. The truck was loaded though, and I mean loaded. It had heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel and mylink. Driving, the truck felt great. The 5.3 had power but not like the Hemi. It also felt more car like, which I did like. The hood seemed huge though. Overall I was impressed with the Silverado until we started talking price. The MSRP on the truck was 50K and in order to get a console I needed a special package and in order to get a heated steering wheel I needed another package which included a bunch of shit I didn't need. That was where I had enough and knew there was a clear cut winner for me.

To not much surprise I decided on the Ram Sport 4x4, Hemi, 8AT. I will be purchasing within 9 months to 1 year from today. My biggest decision will be to order one the way I want it and pay about 5K more or search for a used 2014 with my must haves. There is something to be said for a 0 mile vehicle though since this will be my DD for the long haul. It does all come down to preference though. I think the familiarity with the Jeep swayed my opinion. They were all great trucks. I'm sure the 2015 F-150 is much better than the 2014. So that's just my take.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
just for giggles, try to find out what the gearing was in the 5.0 you drove. my cousin's 5.0 on 35's with 3.73s hauls ass. the truck gets it very well from any speed.

what dealership was the ford at? maybe we can do some internet sleuthing. the 5.0 is no slouch as every ford :nutz: and everyone else knows.

id try to find a ford with the 5.0 and a decent gear to just give it another whirl. especially since you have 9 months to do so.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Sooooo at risk of being called a Brian I will post up my experiences with all 3 half tons. :bowrofl:

I am starting to get into the market for a 1500 crew cab and actually went into this with an open mind. My Escape has over 200k and I have a need for a full size truck so I started doing some homework. My previous experience with 1500's is I owned an 06 F150 Lariat and never really liked it. Also I am a complete GM nut hugger and recently purchased a Cherokee Trailhawk for the lady.

My criteria is:
1500 1/2 ton
N/A gas V8
4x4
Crew cab
Short box
Heated seats and steering wheel
Buckets with center console
Large screen in dash
Back up cam
Nicely equipped

This meant no Eco-boost, no Eco-diesel and no V6's of any sort. I test drove 3 2015's (Ram Express Blackout, Ram Sport, Silverado Z71) and 1 2014 (F-150 FX4). I went into this thinking would be buying a 2014 pre-owned and the Ram and Chevy have no huge changes from 2014-2015. The F-150 is a complete redesign for 2015 and is most likely out of my budget.

My first test drive was the Ram. I drove a 15 Express Blackout Quad cab with the Hemi and 8 speed trans. I wouldn't have given Dodge a second thought had they not offered the ZF 8 speed. The reason I drove such a bare bones truck and a quad cab was to get the feel of the drive train. The dealer did not have a Sport on the lot. First off the truck looks bad ass. It was all blacked out with tinted tail lights, black badges and black projector head lights. It was impressive until you stepped inside. It was basically a work truck. Bench seat, small in dash screen the size of a tictac box and all plastic. I reminded myself I was just testing the drive train. This dealer threw me the keys and let us take it out on our own. The truck drove awesome. Power and torque were great, trans was flawless and felt like a truck should. I was able to really hammer on the truck which was awesome. My only grip was that I wished they cut down the width of the console a couple inches and moved the seats in for more shoulder room. I felt a but cramped unless I had my arm on the window sill. Probably not an issue for most people but I have very wide shoulders. This test drive made me want to drive the Sport. MSRP was just a touch over 40k and with incentives it was listed at 35K. Kind of ridiculous for a base model truck albeit it did look bad ass from the outside.

Next up was the FX4. 2014 model, crew cab, leather, sunroof, 5.0, 6AT. I know everyone is going to jump all over me about the eco-boost. Basically I don't want to pay for the head ache. I want a DD that I can tow a boat, car and ATV's so I feel that a 5.0 is my best bet. First thoughts on the ferd is that it looked pretty cool. I hate chrome so the FX4 looked the part. Pretty aggressive yet still more subdued than the Ram. Inside it was, well, an F150. I feel like the interiors have had the same leather wrapped lego look since 2005. Screen was nice, features were nice, heated and cooled seats. I loved the console and I felt very roomy. Off we went on the test drive, with the salesman. I couldn't really get on it but when I did it felt pretty gutless. I am guessing it's the lack of torque or gearing. I was underwhelmed to say the least. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised with the the F-150 as a whole. It felt more like a car than the Ram which wasn't exactly a bad thing. But as I exited the truck I realized that my legs hurt just as they did with my 06. They put a bar across the seat that just irritates me. This in itself is enough for me not to buy the truck. Price point was pretty good though. MSRP was 48K but incentives were plentiful and the truck would have been about 38K. Pretty good deal but my guess is most of the money off is due to a redesign.

The next weekend I was able to locate a Ram Sport crew cab. I was very excited to test drive this as it was exactly what I want and I have been leaning towards the Ram. Appearance was close to the blackout except the badges are chrome and the wheels are silver. It had a black exterior and IMO the Ram just looks right. It is arguably the best looking truck on the market. The interior is where this truck shined. Leather everywhere, supportive buckets and a huge 8.4" in dash screen. The controls were very familiar since it's the same screen and Uconnect that the Cherokee has. On the test drive, with the salesman mind you, it felt a little more sluggish than the express. I couldn't really get on it so maybe it was in my head. The truck still drove awesome but I still felt just a little tight in the drivers seat. Overall though, this seemed to be the one so I spent a little longer at the dealer running numbers. The truck I drove had a couple options I didn't need like rambox, cooled seats and air shocks. After building a new truck the MSRP was 47K and with current incentives I was shocked at the price of 40K even. This is for a 2015 and I imagine incentives will only get better as the year comes to a close. It is possible I could buy brand new. I optioned this truck perfectly for myself with out any fluff I don't need.

Last up was the Silverado. Although my mind was 95% made up I wanted to do my due diligence since I am such a GM swinger. First off I absolutely hate the fact that GM is the only manufacturer that does not offer body colored bumpers and grill. I test drove a 2015 Z71 LTZ 5.3 and to my surprise they don't offer the 8speed with the 5.3 yet. The truck was loaded though, and I mean loaded. It had heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel and mylink. Driving, the truck felt great. The 5.3 had power but not like the Hemi. It also felt more car like, which I did like. The hood seemed huge though. Overall I was impressed with the Silverado until we started talking price. The MSRP on the truck was 50K and in order to get a console I needed a special package and in order to get a heated steering wheel I needed another package which included a bunch of shit I didn't need. That was where I had enough and knew there was a clear cut winner for me.

To not much surprise I decided on the Ram Sport 4x4, Hemi, 8AT. I will be purchasing within 9 months to 1 year from today. My biggest decision will be to order one the way I want it and pay about 5K more or search for a used 2014 with my must haves. There is something to be said for a 0 mile vehicle though since this will be my DD for the long haul. It does all come down to preference though. I think the familiarity with the Jeep swayed my opinion. They were all great trucks. I'm sure the 2015 F-150 is much better than the 2014. So that's just my take.

:nice: :gayy: :nutz: :bowrofl: :squint:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Oh and at the risk of being a complete hypocrite, you are really shorting yourself by not looking at the ecoboost. Especially since you want/need a 1500 truck.
[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION]

12,200lb towing capacity :nice:

DRIVE AN ECOBOOST YOU GIANT TURD! You will not be left disappointed. 5.0 = 385/287 3.5 Ecoboost = 365/420 and better mileage. Hell, I'd look into a 2015 with the 2.7 ecoboost... The only valid reason you really have for steering away from ecoboost is the price. They do come at a premium, but that IS for a reason! :D

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Wont be long before there are turbos on everything with the damn EPA mileage requirements... Ford beat the ecoboost platform well past 160k miles and their turbos were fine. If you are going to run a vehicle out that far mileage wise, I'm sure there'd be an extended warranty in play as well. :dunno:

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
When you're ready to buy let me know, il get you a friends/family discount code... Save you another couple $k

Thanks! I will definitely be hitting you up for that. :nice:

DRIVE AN ECOBOOST YOU GIANT TURD! You will not be left disappointed. 5.0 = 385/287 3.5 Ecoboost = 365/420 and better mileage. Hell, I'd look into a 2015 with the 2.7 ecoboost... The only valid reason you really have for steering away from ecoboost is the price. They do come at a premium, but that IS for a reason! :D

What is steering me away from the F-150 as a whole is the seat. I am uncomfortable in the seat. I hate it. That being said the eco-boost is pointless for me. Better mileage is a toss up. Some say the eco-poop gets worse around town and only benefits on the high way. Add the premium of the motor plus the fact that I have no use for 12K tow capacity and I have no interest. The maintenance on an N/A will be less than a TT truck most of the time. Sure you might get a bad 5.0 and terrific eco-boost but why take the unneeded gamble? I was reading a truck trend article (at a Chevy dealer ironically) and the break even point between the eco-diesel and hemi Ram was like 146,000 miles. Can you imagine that with the eco-boost? You will never get your money back and run the risk of higher repair bills.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Wont be long before there are turbos on everything with the damn EPA mileage requirements... Ford beat the ecoboost platform well past 160k miles and their turbos were fine. If you are going to run a vehicle out that far mileage wise, I'm sure there'd be an extended warranty in play as well. :dunno:
That's not factoring in mass production... Plus the unknown of the all aluminum body

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Thanks! I will definitely be hitting you up for that. :nice:

What is steering me away from the F-150 as a whole is the seat. I am uncomfortable in the seat. I hate it. That being said the eco-boost is pointless for me. Better mileage is a toss up. Some say the eco-poop gets worse around town and only benefits on the high way. Add the premium of the motor plus the fact that I have no use for 12K tow capacity and I have no interest. The maintenance on an N/A will be less than a TT truck most of the time. Sure you might get a bad 5.0 and terrific eco-boost but why take the unneeded gamble? I was reading a truck trend article (at a Chevy dealer ironically) and the break even point between the eco-diesel and hemi Ram was like 146,000 miles. Can you imagine that with the eco-boost? You will never get your money back and run the risk of higher repair bills.

i wonder if they factored in resale at all to that and how they did if they did.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I doubt they did as I'm sure re-sale will be effected by long term reliability and maintenance. I think it was based solely on how long it would take you in fuel cost to recoup your initial investment if you bought the truck new and planned to keep it long term.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I doubt they did as I'm sure re-sale will be effected by long term reliability and maintenance. I think it was based solely on how long it would take you in fuel cost to recoup your initial investment if you bought the truck new and planned to keep it long term.

gotchya.

you 'd have to think though if you factored in resale, it would make sense even sooner than 146k though i'd bet.

also too, i wonder what gas prices they estimated it at... especially since gas has plummeted right now.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
why not also drive the GMC, i know it is the same as the chevy but they usually have more incentives that keep it around the same price point and seem to be better optioned. might be worth looking into just for kicks.

I looked at a GMC at Gary Lang. It too was 50k but had the half leather, half cloth seats I like but no heated steering wheel. It was the same price as the Z71 and had less options.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
but im saying right now with gas under 2$ and diesel above $3 it's gonna take much longer to break even.

For sure. I just found it interesting. People don't think about stuff like that.

BTW, the FX4 was at Bull Valley and was silver. Like I said though I really wasn't able to stomp on the Ford. It just didn't seem like it pulled the weight of the truck around as easy as the Hemi and 5.3

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Fuck all this noise. I say get the hemi Ram and enjoy. I share your thoughts about it being the sharpest looking truck inside and out. Very nice place to be. I fell in LOVE with that 2014 2500 I drove a few weeks back. I cant stop thinking about it. And dem discounts tho.

Hell yeah!! The salesman at Ram said they are offering crazy discounts to try to take over more of the truck share. They are building for the future by getting more product into the market. We benefit, hope it works. It's a damn nice truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info