3rd Party Extended Warranties

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
Anyone have any experience with the 3rd party extended warranties offered with new car purchases?

I went into the purchase of my Focus with no intent of buying any add-ons/warranties. I ended up going with a Custom Edge Ultimate warranty (equates to bumper to bumper) that covers me for 10years/ 124,000 miles with a $300 deductible. I have done my share of research online, but I have really not seen anything that would push me in one direction or the other. I was curious if anyone had any experience with similar warranties? I want to make sure that they will not be denying my claims should I have to use the warranty. I can cancel for a full refund within the first 60 days.

On a side note, Geico offers mechanical breakdown coverage through my insurance that covers me for 7 years/100,000 miles with a $250 deductible. This insurance currently only adds an extra $20 to my 6 month premium.

I can't quite decide which of these to go with.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
GEICO does that huh, interesting. I can ask my buddy, he's a private dealer and we were talking about that not too long ago. Cant remeber what company he was mentioning.

I believe you have to be the original owner within the first year/15,000 miles of ownership though. And that would be great if you were to get some feedback from him!

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
The last 4 cars my family and I have bought from dealers we purchased the warranty and they all paid for themselves twice over (or more in my Grand Prixs case) and have never had an issue with using them.

02 Dodge Grand Caravan (2 trans', rack, alternator, climate control unit)

97 Buick Regal (trans, hub bearings, window regulator)

99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (all 4 ball joints, climate control associated parts-actuators/blend doors, rear window defroster, alternator, a/c compressor)

04 Grand Prix (two trans', hub bearings, lower intake gasket job, a/c condenser, cooling fans)

*These were all warranties offered at time of purchase from dealer, which were all manufacturer warranties if I remember right.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Based on research I've done in the past I will only buy manufacturer warranties. I don't recall specifics but remember hearing about long delays getting vehicles fixed, not warrantying certain things a mfg warranty would cover, and some of these warranty companies going out of business. Are they not offering a Ford warranty?

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I haven't heard any of any issues on a personal level.

My dad bought a 3-4 year/unlimited mile(I think) warranty for his 07 Impala LTZ back in 2011, and he hasn't had any issues with it. I'm pretty sure he was happy he went with it. I don't think he's had any major repairs yet, but all the little crap that adds up was covered like the intermediate steering shaft, window motors, etc. He just found out that he needs a new rack, which he said they are covering no problem.

[MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] has one I think on his truck.

We bought a 5 year/100k mile warranty for our Impala when we bought it back in August, and foresee no issues

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Chrysler offered me a warranty on my 04 Excursion diesel when I bought it used 3 years ago. The warranty is actually through Chrysler, cost $5000 for 5 years 70,000 miles, and paid for itself in one visit when I had to have the head gaskets done. I think it's a $75 deductible if I remember correctly. I plan on finding another warranty when this one is up or seeing if I can extend it. So glad I went with the best coverage they offered when I bought it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Anyone have any experience with the 3rd party extended warranties offered with new car purchases?

I went into the purchase of my Focus with no intent of buying any add-ons/warranties. I ended up going with a Custom Edge Ultimate warranty (equates to bumper to bumper) that covers me for 10years/ 124,000 miles with a $300 deductible. I have done my share of research online, but I have really not seen anything that would push me in one direction or the other. I was curious if anyone had any experience with similar warranties? I want to make sure that they will not be denying my claims should I have to use the warranty. I can cancel for a full refund within the first 60 days.

On a side note, Geico offers mechanical breakdown coverage through my insurance that covers me for 7 years/100,000 miles with a $250 deductible. This insurance currently only adds an extra $20 to my 6 month premium.

I can't quite decide which of these to go with.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

IMO, Just get the Ford Warranty if you are going to get one at all, don't bother with a third party. Manufacturer Warranties have huge companies behind them, if a third party goes belly up in a year, you are SOL.

Mfg. warranties are VERY Negotiable by the way, and some dealers go online and offer pretty cut-throat prices. Lombard is one of them: Ford Extended Warranty | Genuine Ford ESP | Discounted Pricing

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Go on the car specific forums to find out what people are paying for their extended warranties. I bought the 7/100 for my Dodge for $1500 when others were paying close to $3k.

A while back I had a Toyota 4runner and I bought my warranty from a dealer in Virginia for $1 above cost. My local dealer wanted over $2k and I paid under $800 for it from an out of state dealer. Keep in mind this was a manufacturer warranty.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Chrysler offered me a warranty on my 04 Excursion diesel when I bought it used 3 years ago. The warranty is actually through Chrysler, cost $5000 for 5 years 70,000 miles, and paid for itself in one visit when I had to have the head gaskets done. I think it's a $75 deductible if I remember correctly. I plan on finding another warranty when this one is up or seeing if I can extend it. So glad I went with the best coverage they offered when I bought it.

Also on this. I made sure to read the fine print. We wanted to make sure all of the diesel stuff was covered.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info