Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
9ec.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Yep bmw is 4/50k miles. I am sure you are already aware that BMWs come with an expensive price tag to fix when they break. Imo their quality has gone down from the early 90s days. They are prone to oil leaks from a lot of areas under the hood. As well as suspension/ball joint control arm type noises. Oh and burning/using oil as well. None of those are cheap to fix.

If you owned it for 4-5 years I don't think it is unreasonable to say you may spend 5-6 grand or more in normal repairs once out of warranty.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Yep bmw is 4/50k miles. I am sure you are already aware that BMWs come with an expensive price tag to fix when they break. Imo their quality has gone down from the early 90s days. They are prone to oil leaks from a lot of areas under the hood. As well as suspension/ball joint control arm type noises. Oh and burning/using oil as well. None of those are cheap to fix.

If you owned it for 4-5 years I don't think it is unreasonable to say you may spend 5-6 grand or more in normal repairs once out of warranty.

I've never heard of the oil issues? Is that on a certain engine?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I've never heard of the oil issues? Is that on a certain engine?

Not sure if it's a specific engine. I've seen very high failures on the 3 series and 5 series with oil filter housing gaskets, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and the big money maker the timing cover leaking.

The timing cover on the 3.0 6cyl is 8.7 hours alone without parts. And at a bmw type labor rate of 130 dollar or more per hour that adds up.

That's something to consider as well. The dealers will have very high labor rates per hour. And diagnostic times will be higher as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info