Motor Trend Comparo - 2015 Camaro SS vs. 2015 Mustang GT

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Way to go Ford. That IRS really seems to be working out for you. I watched a vid the other day of it damn near wheel hopping the car apart.

Seems to be working perfectly well. The 1LE is a quick car on the track and the GT was 1.5 seconds within the Camaro’s lap times. The 15 Mustang is ~1.5 seconds quicker per lap than the 2012 GT driven by Pobst.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Not directed at you, but why are Mustang owners against progress? I’ve noticed a pattern amongst Mustang enthusiasts that they vehemently debate that the previous generation is so much better than the newer models. When the GT500 came out, Cobra guys were bitching about how it was a step back and cost more money. Fox body guys have their strawmens about newer gens.

Now the new GT is out and the S197 guys are making excuses. The new car from an engineering standpoint is a leap forward from the S197. The S550 chassis is more refined, rides better, is stiffer, handles better, brakes better, etc. While we can nit pick the exterior design as that’s a matter of opinion, but the data shows that the 2015 is a better performance car.

As for cost, the increase is due to refinement -primarily interior refinement and options. If you were to load up a previous gen with similar options, they come close to $40K MSRP. Also, Ford was heavily discounting Mustangs the last few years because they weren't selling particularly well.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I'm surprised the Camaro is that good compared to a brand new car. GM really hit a home run and saved the Camaro with the 1LE package. 6th gen might be lighter than the mustang but I doubt it. Ford gave that to GM but I doubt they'll take it. They like playing down to competition.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
The 1LE has always been about better handling since 1988. Not surprised one bit that it handles better than the Mustangs performance package. And the wheel package on the 1LE alone is worth the cost. The way it fills up the wheel well looks fantastic. With the new redesigned front and rear facias on the Camaro and the 1LE package. This is a real winner. Throw a little boost at it and you would ALMOST have the best of the Z-28 and ZL-1 wrapped into one car.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
The 1LE has always been about better handling since 1988. Not surprised one bit that it handles better than the Mustangs performance package. And the wheel package on the 1LE alone is worth the cost. The way it fills up the wheel well looks fantastic. With the new redesigned front and rear facias on the Camaro and the 1LE package. This is a real winner. Throw a little boost at it and you would ALMOST have the best of the Z-28 and ZL-1 wrapped into one car.

You should be in sales.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Not directed at you, but why are Mustang owners against progress? I’ve noticed a pattern amongst Mustang enthusiasts that they vehemently debate that the previous generation is so much better than the newer models. When the GT500 came out, Cobra guys were bitching about how it was a step back and cost more money. Fox body guys have their strawmens about newer gens.

Now the new GT is out and the S197 guys are making excuses. The new car from an engineering standpoint is a leap forward from the S197. The S550 chassis is more refined, rides better, is stiffer, handles better, brakes better, etc. While we can nit pick the exterior design as that’s a matter of opinion, but the data shows that the 2015 is a better performance car.

As for cost, the increase is due to refinement -primarily interior refinement and options. If you were to load up a previous gen with similar options, they come close to $40K MSRP. Also, Ford was heavily discounting Mustangs the last few years because they weren't selling particularly well.

I have noticed this as well. I would't really call myself a mustang guy, i just own one. I was a die hard GM guy until 2011. I do like the interior a lot, and have always been outgoing about that. I do see your point about flaming on new models. SVTP has opened my eyes to the world that is Ford lol.

Personally, I was just hoping for a bit more out of the IRS. Seeing how bad the wheel hop and weight transfer is...

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
to be fair the mustang did trap 2mph faster than the 1le. Some people might find this more important than the road course times. We'll see if ford is preparing a better counter for the 6th gen. Even if the 6th gen's only change was the LT1 this mustang wouldn't even be close.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I have noticed this as well. I would't really call myself a mustang guy, i just own one. I was a die hard GM guy until 2011. I do like the interior a lot, and have always been outgoing about that. I do see your point about flaming on new models. SVTP has opened my eyes to the world that is Ford lol.

Personally, I was just hoping for a bit more out of the IRS. Seeing how bad the wheel hop and weight transfer is...

The float and weight transfer really surprised me, especially in the performance pack. I have a feeling that they purposely left it a bit on the soft end in preparation for a "true" track pack car (a la BOSS).

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I won't be taking the car to a road course or autoX so I don't care about one car being faster than the other and if I was going to blast around a road course the first thing I'd buy is shocks and stickier rubber anyways. Which leads me to the fact I do really like the 1LE SS and like how it feels when I test drove one. Problem is its more expensive and I still hate the goofy interior and shit vision out of the car with a passion. For me a its still a Base Mustang GT and put some good Koni shocks on it, lower it a bit, adjust it until I like how it feels, and toss on some wider rubber and be done.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I won't be taking the car to a road course or autoX so I don't care about one car being faster than the other and if I was going to blast around a road course the first thing I'd buy is shocks and stickier rubber anyways. Which leads me to the fact I do really like the 1LE SS and like how it feels when I test drove one. Problem is its more expensive and I still hate the goofy interior and shit vision out of the car with a passion. For me a its still a Base Mustang GT and put some good Koni shocks on it, lower it a bit, adjust it until I like how it feels, and toss on some wider rubber and be done.

I agree with you about the road course point. The point that video made to me was that the Camaro is more fun to drive. It must have been said a dozen times. To me that's what makes the biggest difference. Would tires and shocks change that? Maybe, but for some reason I doubt it.
Also I don't know if you were comparing the 1LE price to a base GT? But in this video the Camaro was cheaper.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Theres no reason why ford couldn't get the mustang to match the 1le in handling performance especially at the price they ask. It's not like the 1le is this stripped down race car. Whether a new set of shocks will help the ford or not, out of the box the car didn't impress MT and thats why it lost. All MT cares about is which car is better stock.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Theres no reason why ford couldn't get the mustang to match the 1le in handling performance especially at the price they ask. It's not like the 1le is this stripped down race car. Whether a new set of shocks will help the ford or not, out of the box the car didn't impress MT and thats why it lost. All MT cares about is which car is better stock.

I think the previous BOSS is a bit better comparison to the 1LE than the '15 GT PP.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

The Performance Pack isn’t as aggressive as the 1LE. Maybe Ford left it a little softer to differentiate from the Boss or Shelby?

Arguably the biggest difference in the two is that the Mustang once again comes under-tired from the factory. The Camaro has 285’s all around.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
b1315fe626543598f11f0727e9f2c54f.jpg

This is hot

faed505faf70333e492ae859e5ed39e3.jpg

229aba16f8001dc0316923c47e9230e5.jpg

c94f7b89b223c9ddd39ed79dbbe2bd2a.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info