Need your opinion on a winter truck/toy mover

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
With the purchase of this house, I am finding I need a small pick up truck for various projects I have encountered. Couple that with a long ass driveway that my DD car will not make it through snow, water craft purchase, etc I am in the market.

I am on the fence with this though, would a small, 4 banger ranger, s-10 tacoma, fill in the blank truck suffice, or should I be looking for a full sized truck for the larger bed and better towing? I have a budget of around 3k and this truck would sit on my apron only for when duty calls it will be used. I want to buy in the next few weeks before the truck prices start showing for the upcoming winter.I appreciate it guys and if you have any leads on the aforementioned truck, feel free to post up.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
In your case, go with whatever happens to be the most truck for the least coin. No four-cylinders, leave those to Autozone delivery guys.

Six cylinder rangers and tacos will give you a bed large enough for any household project you'll encounter and with a trans cooler and a class II will capably pull 5.5k lbs. In the same price range, you can also find older 1500's and F150's which will do the same work, but a little more comfortably. So again, grab what appears the cleanest deal.

Good luck.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
The non-tow pack isn't a deal breaker to me, it's not at all difficult to plumb in a trans cooler and splice in a trailer harness. Which at least with my ranger, was the only real difference excluding the step-bumper with a 2" ball. lol. (Seriously, the package from Ford was a harness, Cooler and bumper. Hah.)

But yeah, you'll take a MPG hit with a 3/4 ton, but make up for it with some additional capability and comfort. Still, a 6 cyl can do some work. Ask me how I know...

:s00ls:

For household chores and DIY projects, a six foot bed is all you need, so that opens up some nice wiggle-room in your hunt. Be it with a smaller truck, or full size.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Looking for a little less mileage but I will keep you in mind.

Also looking at a few older Rams. One 2000 and a 2001. I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of having a 2wd model. I am used to 4 wheel drive in my old jeep, but with good tires I can count on one hand how many times I truly NEEDED to pull that lever to engage 4x4. The upside to 2wd is its better on gas and less things to go wrong with the front end.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Looking for a little less mileage but I will keep you in mind.

Also looking at a few older Rams. One 2000 and a 2001. I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of having a 2wd model. I am used to 4 wheel drive in my old jeep, but with good tires I can count on one hand how many times I truly NEEDED to pull that lever to engage 4x4. The upside to 2wd is its better on gas and less things to go wrong with the front end.

Nonononononononononononono. Chevy, Ford or Yota.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
colorado's/etc with the inline 6 motor are needing valve guides as they hit 100-120k

on a cold start the engine will gain/loose power (occilating acceleration) as you pull it out of the parking spot...thats the early sign the valves are sticking open int he guides.

you might wanna avoid em...or go for an older more reliable/cheaper 03.5 and older 4.3 s10

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info