GM posts best sales since 2007

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
:rofl:

GM Somehow Posts Best Sales Since 2007

Remember that time that GM recalled every single car in the world because faulty ignition switches killed a bunch of people and past experience said that they would suffer, at least somewhat, in the sales figures? It turns out that nobody remembered that time, because GM just posted its best June sales since 2007.

GM dealers delivered 267,461 vehicles in this past month, which is up 1% compared to a year ago.

Yeah.

Buick and GMC each had their best June since 2006, with deliveries up 18% and 11%, respectively, driven especially in GMC by a whole bunch of new product like the Yukon.

And it's not just because the industry as a whole is up, either. Volkswagen, for example, saw its sales take a plunge of 22 percent.

All this is kind of incredible, given the depth of the company's transgressions, how reflective they were of the corporate culture, and how much the company's transgressions have been written about (not just here at Jalopnik, but seemingly everywhere).

But hey, making some good cars will actually get you places. Maybe it's time to ask about how much better the company's sales would be doing without the recall.

Oh, in a totally completely unrelated story, remember that time I asked you all about a cool new car to bring to a classic car show? We asked for Corvettes, Camaros, a Chevy SS, all the cool ones. All were unavailable, since they were being recalled.

I got a Honda Civic Si instead.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

I read a lot of the comments- and actually a few reasons it seems this is happening- the good ones i read that make sense include that GM is actually currently making some good shit- additionally- getting people into dealerships is the toughest thing about a car sale typically, when the people come in for recalls- they see the quality of the new cars compared to their 10 year old whatever gm and get sold one.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I read a lot of the comments- and actually a few reasons it seems this is happening- the good ones i read that make sense include that GM is actually currently making some good shit- additionally- getting people into dealerships is the toughest thing about a car sale typically, when the people come in for recalls- they see the quality of the new cars compared to their 10 year old whatever gm and get sold one.

I know the sales manager at my local Chevy dealer. He says when people bring their cars in for a recall. Usually a ratted out Cobalt, or equally worn out and high mileage near 10 year old car. They cut them a deal on something new. People jump all over it. Also they love whatever loaner they got, and theyll cut them deals on that too.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's because GM has started building some great cars. If one has to wed oneself to a single car maker (the way that some people seem to feel compelled to do), one could do a lot worse than GM, which makes the best (arguably only) American sports car, a great RWD sedan that until recently came with stick, a muscle car that is a great performer at some trim levels, if overpriced and coffin-like, and some other things I don't care about (SUVs, hybrids, pickups) that seem pretty competitive in their segments. Oh, and lest I forget, they're the last real American luxury car maker. Cadillac stands alone right now, while Lincoln and Chrysler are so deep in the woods that they may as well start making ATVs.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

GM is purposely recalling their cars to get more people in the door to sell them new cars. :rofl:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
when i was working @ the chrysler dealer... plenty of people came in for recalls or oil changes and wound up buying a new car.

purposely recalling vehicles ? might be a stretch. if someone is as fed up with GM and their GM product, the sales MGR is going to have to cut one hell of a deal

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
when i was working @ the chrysler dealer... plenty of people came in for recalls or oil changes and wound up buying a new car.

purposely recalling vehicles ? might be a stretch. if someone is as fed up with GM and their GM product, the sales MGR is going to have to cut one hell of a deal

i was being somewhat very facetious.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Liberal BS, especially on sites like jalopnik.com, and CNN. I know the government still has interests in GM as well, so they will say anything to get people to buy from them again, and to steer you away from the bad stories like all the recalls.

With the exception of the Corvette & CTS-V, My opinion about GM products and especially the management of GM is pure horseshit.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Liberal BS, especially on sites like jalopnik.com, and CNN. I know the government still has interests in GM as well, so they will say anything to get people to buy from them again, and to steer you away from the bad stories like all the recalls.

With the exception of Corvette and CTS-V, My opinion about GM products and especially the management of GM is pure horseshit.

what is liberal bs? the article or the reasons

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The source of where all that information is coming from, and the article itself. I just read an article last month from a couple sources that said GM was barely staying even with sales figures. I'll try to find those and post them up.

Best sales since 2007 doesnt mean they're turning a huge profit. Just means they're selling more than when they were in the tank. They probably are breaking even.

Quit trying to turn something into something its not.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Best sales since 2007 doesnt mean they're turning a huge profit. Just means they're selling more than when they were in the tank. They probably are breaking even.

Quit trying to turn something into something its not.

GM is probably offering a lot of incentives to move cars. I know that the Silverado launch was poor and that they were going to turn to incentives to try to drive units.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
GM is probably offering a lot of incentives to move cars. I know that the Silverado launch was poor and that they were going to turn to incentives to try to drive units.

I think the immediate wasn't as promising as they anticipated, but shortly thereafter they ramped up quite a bit.

i see a fuck ton of new silverado's and sierra's out here.

Their incentives are definitely huge though as well.

Although some parts of the country continue to experience unrelenting winter weather, even though we are technically into spring, sales numbers for March are clearly reflecting a type of thaw. The big winners out of the gate seem to be the new Toyota Tundra and Ram pickup trucks, with the latter outselling the Chevrolet Silverado for the first time that we can remember: For March 2014 Ram sold 42,532 pickups compared to the Silverado's 42,247.

We should note that GM has been rolling out its heavy-duty truck lineup the last few months, and select models of the half-ton Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra are not selling as well as GM had hoped. Still, when compared to last month, Chevy Silverado sales have made a huge turnaround, improving by 23 percent. However, the issues surrounding GM's ignition recall debacle probably aren't helping the company's sales overall.

That said, Ford continues to make steady progress, moving beyond the 70,000-unit mark for the first time this year. As dealerships thaw out and people start spending more time on dealer lots, we can expect more good news as full-size pickup sales continue their steady climb. And don't forget, we'll have two new midsize pickups debuting later this fall. Where the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon will take sales from will be interesting to watch.

and as this article states... ignition recall doesn't seem to matter for shit.

Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: March 2014 - PickupTrucks.com News

6a00d83451b3c669e201a51194675f970c-pi

also look at how much the sierra was up there...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I was at a Chevy dealer nearly every day in 2007 and that's when they were pushing their employee pricing incentives pretty hard because they weren't selling anything. So basically where everyone else is seeing that GM has had it's best sales in 7 years and is saying how great that is I'm looking and I'm seeing a company that took a full seven years to beat the abysmal sales numbers it had the year prior to plummeting into bankruptcy.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here but what's to cheer about?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
i feel like the hate from jalopnik is strong towards gm, i doubt they'd make it up.

if there was things being posted about gm sucking, i know jalopnik would be the first to post and whore it out :rofl:

Jalopnik is an equal opportunity link bater. Their writers get paid by the click. They'll throw anyone under the bus without prejudice if they can make a buck.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I think the immediate wasn't as promising as they anticipated, but shortly thereafter they ramped up quite a bit.

i see a fuck ton of new silverado's and sierra's out here.

Their incentives are definitely huge though as well.

and as this article states... ignition recall doesn't seem to matter for shit.

Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: March 2014 - PickupTrucks.com News

6a00d83451b3c669e201a51194675f970c-pi

also look at how much the sierra was up there...

Look at the YTD numbers, especially against Ram and the F-150. I'd be more worried at the Ram if I was GM as Ford's numbers are going to be soft until the 2015 production ramps up.

In general, the analysts have said that GM won't gain overall market share until 2017

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info