Sway Bars vs Coilovers

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Looking to upgrade my suspension on the wrx and I was planning on two different routes. End result is both but the budget currently allows one at a time. For Sway bars currently I'm looking at the Perrin 22mm front / rear or the Eibach 25mm/22mm front/ rear plus perrin endlinks. I don't know much about coilovers so I haven't narrowed it down but I'm looking at something adjustable that I can switch from track to street and possibly height adjustable since it will see lots of dirt & snow.

So question for you guys, which would be a greater improvement in handling? End goal is faster lap times obviously.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
What are your plans with the car? Ride quality super important?

Here's why. If you get a good set of coilovers and semi-aggressive spring rates you won't need to upgrade the sway bars. But if you want a more street biased setup you'll need to get both. If you want to lower your lap times you'll want a more track focused coilover with probably 10-12k spring rates for a car like that. The ride isn't terrible, but the better the coilover the better the ride is going to be for an aggressive setup.

Just PLEASE don't get some sub-par shitty coilover. If what you're looking at costs less than $1000, you'll regret it. Those coilovers are like 5000 way adjustable and they suck. The dampening sucks. Quality sucks. Get a good German made coilover.

They will break your bank, but do it right the first time, trust me. I have two track setup cars with track setup suspension. I just spent another $1000+ on my Integra because I hated the coilovers I bought for it earlier this year. They were too street biased, not nearly aggressive enough.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

Here's why. If you get a good set of coilovers and semi-aggressive spring rates you won't need to upgrade the sway bars. But if you want a more street biased setup you'll need to get both. If you want to lower your lap times you'll want a more track focused coilover with probably 10-12k spring rates for a car like that. The ride isn't terrible, but the better the coilover the better the ride is going to be for an aggressive setup.

Just PLEASE don't get some sub-par shitty coilover. If what you're looking at costs less than $1000, you'll regret it. Those coilovers are like 5000 way adjustable and they suck. The dampening sucks. Quality sucks. Get a good German made coilover.

They will break your bank, but do it right the first time, trust me. I have two track setup cars with track setup suspension. I just spent another $1000+ on my Integra because I hated the coilovers I bought for it earlier this year. They were too street biased, not nearly aggressive enough.

It's my racecar dd. I've been autocrossing almost every week. I don't mind a stiffer suspension since almost every car I've own has been a sports car but at the same time I don't need anything overkill because especially in the winter it will see a lot of dirt roads/ snow. That's why I figured I could get something to dial in an aggressive summer set up and dial it back for the winter. I was also considering rally cross but I may wait until my car is older before experimenting with that.

I was figuring around 2k for a coilover set. Was I off in my estimate? Any brands in particular that you recommend? First time doing suspension mods so I'm really only familiar with Stance.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007

this.

I proper coilover setup doesn't necessarily need sway bars, and depending on your spring rate, you might actually want a smaller bar. even then, as far as that goes, if you're only trying to get the car to rotate more, you could play with air pressures in your tires.

but first and foremost, spend your money on more events. you're most likely not close to reaching the limits of the car stock, so until you are, save your money.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
You don't plan to change the ride height every season do you?

Ideally I'd like to get an nice track set up and keep it year around if possible but have the ability to set it back to stock/ whatever if I decide it's too much come wintertime. I do a lot of dirt road driving and I just want to make sure I'm not bottoming out everywhere. No issue keeping it at stock height year round.

Maybe I have the wrong understanding of the abilities of coilovers and how they work. :dunno:

this.

but first and foremost, spend your money on more events. you're most likely not close to reaching the limits of the car stock, so until you are, save your money.

Probably. I've been learning more at each event although I'd like to think I've put up some pretty good times. I've considered also putting money towards tires.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Ideally I'd like to get an nice track set up and keep it year around if possible but have the ability to set it back to stock/ whatever if I decide it's too much come wintertime. I do a lot of dirt road driving and I just want to make sure I'm not bottoming out everywhere. No issue keeping it at stock height year round.

Maybe I have the wrong understanding of the abilities of coilovers and how they work. :dunno:

The Idea for coilovers is the adjust ability but it doesn't work like say air suspension. Every time you change the height you will have to get an alignment. Plus dirt on the threads will make it a PITA to adjust possibly fucking it up after the first winter. It's there to get the height you want and not be limited to what the spring compression is.
You could probably drop the car 2" from stock and still be able to drive it year round, although on the dirt roads you would have to check what your limits might be.
What you seem to be looking for are Coilovers w/ adjustable dampers. They should give you what you want as far as track to street. You may not even need sway bars at all untill you want the car for track only.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
As e said the idea of raising and lowering height is somewhat misrepresented. I have a different opinion for what it is:fixed height suspension that is Tunable. That may mean a small drop, depending on geometry. Add a set of fixed height springs, some good adjustable shocks and adjustable sway bars. Throw a performance alignment and leave it be. My other questions are:

-can you align to performance specs or do you need additional pieces to do it?
-do you have good tires? This is probably the first mod to do really.
-How good is the chassis design to begin with

I am not really familiar with subarus from a suspension standpoint but getting things tunable and going from there is the next place I would go.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
The Idea for coilovers is the adjust ability but it doesn't work like say air suspension. Every time you change the height you will have to get an alignment. Plus dirt on the threads will make it a PITA to adjust possibly fucking it up after the first winter. It's there to get the height you want and not be limited to what the spring compression is.
You could probably drop the car 2" from stock and still be able to drive it year round, although on the dirt roads you would have to check what your limits might be.
What you seem to be looking for are Coilovers w/ adjustable dampers. They should give you what you want as far as track to street. You may not even need sway bars at all untill you want the car for track only.

Depends on how much he alters his ride-height, main concern will be toe.

It's all about maintenance. Bi-weekly spritzing of a little white lithium has kept a few sets of my coilovers looking and performing as new for ages. And it's always ideal to take an airgun to the cartridge along with a little PB blaster before adjustment to clean the threads as well. "Take care of your shit, it'll take care of you."

As e said the idea of raising and lowering height is somewhat misrepresented. I have a different opinion for what it is:fixed height suspension that is Tunable. That may mean a small drop, depending on geometry. Add a set of fixed height springs, some good adjustable shocks and adjustable sway bars. Throw a performance alignment and leave it be. My other questions are:

-How good is the chassis design to begin with

I am not really familiar with subarus from a suspension standpoint but getting things tunable and going from there is the next place I would go.

It's a solid chassis with debatably iffy geometry.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

I actually don't know the answer to that question

Stock tires currently. Dunlop SP SPORT 01. I already know they need to go.

How good is the chassis design to begin with

I think it's pretty good currently. I feel it grips/ turns well for what it is. Has a pretty neutral feel.

i may have some tein flex for an 05 sti coming available if they will fit your wrx

I believe it has to be an 08+

In terms of ride height, if I decide to change it, I would only change it max twice a year. Same for the stiffness. Which would be done obviously at the same time.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Honestly you don't need to change the ride height just because it's winter. What changes? The road doesn't get higher.

Your answers to all questions have me :jg: because you're in it to do it right. I :h5: you for that. With your chassis and AWD you definitely need to get a more oversteer focused setup. I had an Evo X (worst car ever) and that thing understeered like I had plastic tires up front. If you're just autocrossing though, you could just run shit tires out back and good tires up front :rofl: that would work really well. Honestly.

And KW all the way. The refinement of those coilovers is amazing. They can have 14k spring rates and ride really well. They also will hold up to the winter months. Speaking of that, why not just get a car for the winter? I get a car every year to get me through the winter months and usually if the deal is right you can either sell it for what you paid for it or more if you make it better than the condition you bought it in. Just a little bit of work and it's a free car with a profit.

Either way, go with a great coilover (Donnie said the two best IMO) and you'll be the happiest person in the world.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
KW is far, far, far, far, far superior, but for the BC's they're "ok" for a budget coilover. Better than the megan, stanced, etc shit. I wouldn't get them, but I'm picky and like to spend money I don't have to get better parts.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
KW variant 2's should be around that price range. Even variant 1's would be better than any shitty bc (unless BC's have gotten better? Thought they were just generic knockoffs still )
Are the Perrin bars adjustable? I know white line ones are.

Two way in the front and 3 way in the rear.

Honestly you don't need to change the ride height just because it's winter. What changes? The road doesn't get higher.

As mentioned my winter activities change. I do a lot of snowboarding and snowmobiling so I drive on less than ideal roads. (2-4 days a week) It's not something I'm planning on changing but I'd like the ability if needed. Who knows maybe I'm just being paranoid. My previous cars always stayed stock height and the truck is well.... a truck :rofl:

Ride height is the least important feature I'm interested honestly. As long as it doesn't turn into truck height, it's performance over aesthetics. Sounds like from what @E mentioned, I need adjustable damping.

Your answers to all questions have me :jg: because you're in it to do it right. I :h5: you for that. With your chassis and AWD you definitely need to get a more oversteer focused setup. I had an Evo X (worst car ever) and that thing understeered like I had plastic tires up front. If you're just autocrossing though, you could just run shit tires out back and good tires up front :rofl: that would work really well. Honestly.

I believe stock had oversteer tendency originally. I installed a Perrin differential lock down to tighten the rear and give it a more neutral feel as I read that was more desirable. I know it's all personal preference really.

I do like the tire idea though. I know I heat the fronts 2x as much as the rear so I'll look into possibly running varying tire stickiness. If that's the correct term :rofl:

Speaking of that, why not just get a car for the winter? I get a car every year to get me through the winter months and usually if the deal is right you can either sell it for what you paid for it or more if you make it better than the condition you bought it in. Just a little bit of work and it's a free car with a profit.

Either way, go with a great coilover (Donnie said the two best IMO) and you'll be the happiest person in the world.

I have a frontier that we got last summer. It does fine in the snow/ mud, but it wasn't something I enjoy driving on longer trips. That being said, I have no plans on making the wrx a track only car. At least not at this time. I got it for the versatility of driving through the woods, racetrack or even to work. Pretty sure it's still got a decent amount of mud on it from when we went rock climbing last week.

Plus I'd rather have a nice 5.0 or vette or something as my track car eventually. :s00ls:

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Reading the differences between the v1 and v3, it sounds like I should be looking more at the v3 because it has damping adjustments. Doing a little more reading, it sounds like I may want to consider getting top hats as well. Or is this something I don't need to worry about because of the adjustable dampener?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info