Ideas for a commute car...

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
I'm fed up with this lovely Dodge Dart and thinking of making a move to something different. I drive about 60+ miles a day mostly highway and have started looking at the VW TDI models. I'm curious if anyone has feedback or suggestions.
Requirements:
4 seats
Automatic (wife refuses to learn, although she will ride a four wheeler with clutch with zero issues)
30+ mpg

Last edited:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle

images

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill

Don't think it's out yet.

I've thought about it, but doesn't do it for me

CPO Lexus CT 200h.

Love the look but may be a bit out of what I'm willing to pay

96-01 Camry 4 cyl... Saves you $15k+ you'd be spending on a newer car.

I drive a bit over 50 miles a day, I could NEVER see buying a car that will depreciate from me putting 20k+ miles a year on it. But I can live without all the bells and whistles in my cars.

Yea, I was looking at the mk4? VW models which was up to 2009 I believe, at this point still trying to see what all options are out there.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
:wavey:

I was in the same boat with my new job and DDing a 98 TA :rofl:

I tried out pretty much everything in the segment that was a compact thru midsize and had some decent features but not over $25k

I'll go into more detail later on if you so wish, I don't know your budget?

I have a 2013 Jetta tdi DSG w/sun and sound package, the only things it doesnt have were navi and push button start from the premium package, and for like almost 2k more I can live without those :rofl:

For gas mileage I literally have not gotten a tank under 40mpg pump verified. Some days for work during the week I can sit in dead stopped rush hour traffic for almost 2 hours, other days just all freeway so its a very good mix indicator, worse tanks mixed I'll see 40-41. When I do nothing but freeway I keep it between 65-75 max depending on speed limit, thats the sweet spot and Ill see as much as 48mpg for a tank. Did 48mpg to cinci one weekend and I just got back from a trip through central IL and avg 45.x. Its nice to put $50 gal of fuel into the tank 13-14 gal when the ligh comes on and get 600 miles out of it lol. I have 15k on the car now and the mileage has gotten a tad better as the car has broken in. I don't do any BS tricks for mileage besides drive like a grandma sometimes and I have the psi on the tires up 2psi from factory rating :noes:

What I really enjoy about the jetta is that it feels much more planted on the road, especially the freeway and the back seat has plenty of room. The trunk is also huge. If you don't believe me, just go check out a cruze and then go the jetta and you'll be amazed. Those are the two top choices for me when I was deciding.

3 year 36k no maint also was nice, though I think most everyone offers that now or at least did?

If you like a little more german feeling car with some higher grade material use I'd definitely say check out the VWs.

Depending on your budget I can say that another reason I went with the vw is that the purchase price for mine was almost 4k under MSRP, they were DEALIN' the 13s when the 14s came to the dealer lots. If you want I can give you the contact of the sales guy I used out in PA who deals specifically with tdi models and sells them way under invoice even, its crazy.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The CT 200h is an under-appreciated little hatchback. Its Prius roots are hidden well as it handles amazingly being a Lexus based on the Prius. I was always surprised with its combo of driving entertainment and fuel economy. 42 mpg combined.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I’ve got an older Civic and the newer ones are pretty nice looking. The thing that keeps me from selling it is that I hardly have to put any money into it as Hondas are reliable and cheap to repair.

I’ve always been told to stay away from VW’s that are out of warranty as people rag on reliability.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
:wavey:

I was in the same boat with my new job and DDing a 98 TA :rofl:

I tried out pretty much everything in the segment that was a compact thru midsize and had some decent features but not over $25k

I'll go into more detail later on if you so wish, I don't know your budget?

I have a 2013 Jetta tdi DSG w/sun and sound package, the only things it doesnt have were navi and push button start from the premium package, and for like almost 2k more I can live without those :rofl:

For gas mileage I literally have not gotten a tank under 40mpg pump verified. Some days for work during the week I can sit in dead stopped rush hour traffic for almost 2 hours, other days just all freeway so its a very good mix indicator, worse tanks mixed I'll see 40-41. When I do nothing but freeway I keep it between 65-75 max depending on speed limit, thats the sweet spot and Ill see as much as 48mpg for a tank. Did 48mpg to cinci one weekend and I just got back from a trip through central IL and avg 45.x. Its nice to put $50 gal of fuel into the tank 13-14 gal when the ligh comes on and get 600 miles out of it lol. I have 15k on the car now and the mileage has gotten a tad better as the car has broken in. I don't do any BS tricks for mileage besides drive like a grandma sometimes and I have the psi on the tires up 2psi from factory rating :noes:

What I really enjoy about the jetta is that it feels much more planted on the road, especially the freeway and the back seat has plenty of room. The trunk is also huge. If you don't believe me, just go check out a cruze and then go the jetta and you'll be amazed. Those are the two top choices for me when I was deciding.

3 year 36k no maint also was nice, though I think most everyone offers that now or at least did?

If you like a little more german feeling car with some higher grade material use I'd definitely say check out the VWs.

Depending on your budget I can say that another reason I went with the vw is that the purchase price for mine was almost 4k under MSRP, they were DEALIN' the 13s when the 14s came to the dealer lots. If you want I can give you the contact of the sales guy I used out in PA who deals specifically with tdi models and sells them way under invoice even, its crazy.

this is a part here though that people don't think about at allllllll

98 t/a cost you what- $7-8k... and it got probably 17-23mpg doing whatever you were doing it.

for the purpose of this demonstration- we will go low end at 17 mpg.

new tdi for you was probably 25k +- $2k and gets at least 40 mpg you have said.

so a difference in price of $16-20k. and a mpg difference of 23mpg or so.

that t/a isn't going to depreciate all that much more, but even if it goes down $6-7k somehow :rofl:, it still hasn't depreciated as much as the tdi could across the next 7 years or so.

so.

if you drive 15k per year (high side of avg american)... in the t/a you will use 882 gallons of gas roughly at 17mpg... lets call gas and diesel the same price for the cost of this experiment here at $4 per gallon.

$3,529 a year in fuel costs for 15k per year at 17mpg at $4 per gallon.

in the tdi at 40 mpg, that's 375 gallons of fuel, at $4 per gallon, it's $1500 a year.

A difference of around $2k in fuel costs per year... or, it would take 8-10 years, of driving 15k mile per year, in the TA at 17mpg, and the TDI at 40mpg to actually even begin to break even.

buying new cars to save money on gas doesn't equate to value for me personally.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
The CT 200h is an under-appreciated little hatchback. Its Prius roots are hidden well as it handles amazingly being a Lexus based on the Prius. I was always surprised with its combo of driving entertainment and fuel economy. 42 mpg combined.

I was all about the CT, but when I looked I couldn't find a CPO that was under 25k, or it had high miles and was gonna be out of warranty soon.

I had rented a prius and drove up to MN with [MENTION=16]PANDA[/MENTION], I got 44mpg for the whole trip and was impressed, and that was the bigger 5 model.

I REALLY wanted a 335d but it was the same as the CT, either high miles and no warranty or warranty and $$$

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info