E85 Discussion

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
If any of you guys are interested, I have a 15 gallon drum I need to get out of my garage. It was a VP C16 drum. About the diameter of a 5 gallon pal. So it isn't very large in diameter. Basically it is like stacking 3 pals. If someone wants to find good E85 and fill up a 15 gallon drum for their garage you are welcome to it.

billzrx7

Addict
May 26, 2013
This is an informative post of my findings with fuel stations and the quality of the gas. If you want to use the test tube method? Feel free. I think ill go with the expensive electronic tester as opposed to the $25 dollar vial for getting an accurate reading for ethanol content. Why dont more people go with the tester? Because generally their cars arent as sensitive about ethanol content as mine is. Who wants to spend almost $400 bucks on a setup JUST to tell ethanol content anyway. Hell, if i wasnt worried about the percentage I could probably guess within 5-10% by color and smell. But hey, horse shoes and hand grenades.. close enough amiright?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
This is an informative post of my findings with fuel stations and the quality of the gas. If you want to use the test tube method? Feel free. I think ill go with the expensive electronic tester as opposed to the $25 dollar vial for getting an accurate reading for ethanol content. Why dont more people go with the tester? Because generally their cars arent as sensitive about ethanol content as mine is. Who wants to spend almost $400 bucks on a setup JUST to tell ethanol content anyway. Hell, if i wasnt worried about the percentage I could probably guess within 5-10% by color and smell. But hey, horse shoes and hand grenades.. close enough amiright?

what are you? Some sort of ethanol hipster with your hoity toity fancy smancy electronic tester? I'm guessing you are probably the same kinda guy that talks about craft beers and have a gluten allergy.:rofl:

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I let mine sit for weeks still the same reading I ran all different blends from e65 to e93, the difference was at a 11.0 afr on e70 on e93 it would hit 13.1, dosnt really make a difference when you can lean the fuck out of it and it still has no knock I ran it 13.8afr at one time and it loved it I would blend the e85 with 110 I had a formula down and I could keep it dead nuts at a 12.5 afr that was my sweet spot, let the wide band tell you how much ethanol your running lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I would just say that for most people it would be a waste of money, it sounds like a good investment for you tho, I was on a v6 and in the 600whp area and it really didn't make much of a difference for me I'd look at the wide band and see a 13.0 afr and be like damn I'll throw half a gallon of gas in there and it will be perfect

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I would just say that for most people it would be a waste of money, it sounds like a good investment for you tho, I was on a v6 and in the 600whp area and it really didn't make much of a difference for me I'd look at the wide band and see a 13.0 afr and be like damn I'll throw half a gallon of gas in there and it will be perfect

Not only that but if you tune it to have some variance then you are not going to be as susceptible to knock, detonation, etc. Ethanol is really knock resistant anyway. I've never had an issue with running ethanol between 80-87% on the same tune. Sure I can go in and adjust the commanded AFR but it's really not worth it with my setup.

My bigger concern is making sure the fuel system is up to snuff and making sure not to leave the car sit too long to keep the injectors from corroding internally unless you are running the full stainless ID1300's. Been running ethanol for 2+ years now. Not a single issue.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Been on E for 4 years. Never one issue. I'm over 600 easy and I use the water tester and the wide band o2. I can't access my tune and I don't want to mess with it. The car runs fine on E70 or E90. At one time I had some E98 to mix with E70

If someone. Wants a empty 55 gal drum it's theirs. I need to get rid of it just like Mike does.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Since it is thought to be such a disparity between the electronic and water testers for E85, why not perform a few back to back tests with both at the same time, and with the same fuel source? So far, all I have seen in here has been talking with no hard data to back it up. I am not trying to ruffle feathers, just point out the usefulness and interest in having hard data. Who knows, there may even be some surprises along the way. Either way, I consider it a worthy cause.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info