E85 Levels by Fuel Station!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billzrx7

Addict
May 26, 2013
Date Tested - Ethanol % - Location
4/11/14 - 67% - Algonquin Road Ranger (Randall Road)
4/12/14 - 72% - Woodman's North Aurora (Oak and Orchard)
5/19/14 - 58% - Shell, East Dundee. Route 68 1/2 Mile west of Rt 25
5/30/14 - 74% - Thorntons in Itasca
7/14/14 - 78% - Aurora Thorntons on Sullivan and Rt 31
7/26/14 - 79% - BP on east rt 64 next to firestone. St Charles IL

I have to check what I filled up with last night still.

If you want, I can also post the posted "minimum" they claim at the pump or a comparison.

I can also take requests for stations within a reasonable distance. Please PM me with station requests as to keep the thread clear for questions.

Known Minimums:
Road ranger is 51%
Shell is 51%
Woodmans is 71%

To clear it up, heres how E85 is rated: Its Ethanol %, Gasoline %, "Other" %. The gasoline is added to bring price up and make it non drinkable. Literally. True E85 is 83% Ethanol, 15% gasoline, 2% other.

Last edited:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
yeaaa.. Ive tried those sites. No thanks. Half the time they no longer carry it. Nor does it give ethanol % which is what really counts for us. Ill drive out of the way for a higher content of ethanol. Too much gasoline in my ethanol these days! Same with the apps for phones.

Might as well just have a tank installed at the house and have a truck fill it once a month.

If e85 is this unregulated.

billzrx7

Addict
May 26, 2013
The only regulation in IL for e85 is it has to be atleast 51% ethanol. The higher the ethanol content the cheaper the fuel SHOULD be. Hence why gas stations load it up with gasoline to increase profit/cost.

Formula_LS1

Addict
Sep 27, 2008
Wow I've never seen my local stations test that low. I'll have to check what they're at next time. I remember the BP by GLD testing very low (around 65%). After that, I starting bringing my own containers of fuel when going to the track

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
I'll be switching the Bonneville back to E85 next week so I'll test Palatine Oil Co. Historically they have been 82-84% with summer blend and 70-75% with winter blend.

Last month their E85 was $3.69. The dude there mentioned that they buy it in batches so their prices tend to not fluctuate as much as a retail station.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
The percentage can change from time to time at the same station. Especially in the fall.

My findings have been that once the summer blend comes to that station the ethanol content doesn't change until the fall when it drops down for the winter blend. I test pretty routinely though I never see a drop after summer blend comes

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
The gasoline is there to give the fuel vapor pressure. Without, the engine won't start when cold. The colder the outside temps, the more gasoline needed.

Summer should be 83% Ethanol. Winter could be as low as 51%. Spring and Fall are transitions.

The minimum 51% is about a year old. It was 70%, but 30% gasoline was not enough to get the vapor pressure high enough in the winter.

If you find something other than 83% in the summer, you might want to question your tester. Ethanol is cheaper than gasoline, so there is no reason not to maximize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info