Grinding My Gears v.LEDs

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Way back in 2003 I went out and bought 3357 LED replacement lights for my Ford Taurus, mostly because it was a base model Taurus and I needed to stand out. Back in those days aside from needing to walk uphill both ways to school, we also needed to run resistors with LED lights so that they wouldn't blink obnoxiously fast or result in bulb-out warnings.

Fast forward about 5 years and I'm trying to put together a kit for the Grand Prixs that would be a full plug and play replacement to convert the cars to LED. I scrapped it because you still needed to add resistance to the LEDs to get them to work right.

Fast forward another 6 years to now and I'm shopping for some lights for the Audi that have just burnt out. I'm checking out the Audi forums to see what works and what doesn't and it's a total crapshoot.

And so I ask all you people of TCG, what the fuck? If you're taking a bulb type that is by it's very nature incandescent and you're offering an LED replacement for that wouldn't it stand to reason that it's going to need additional resistance in the circuit to work properly in most cars?

I mean you take a bulb like a 194 and you're making it an LED and offering it for sale. Well 100% of the applications that LED is going to go in would have had a bulb where the LED is now going to go so wouldn't it stand to reason that you would… Oh I don't know… add a resistor internally so that it matches the resistance of the bulb it's replacing?

I can't believe we've had these for 15 years now and people are still needing to putz with various different resistors just to get this stuff to work when the problem could be solved for pennies by simply matching the resistance of the bulb style you're emulating. It would also be easier.

BRB… Off to jam a bunch of resistors in my car to get my lights to stop hyper-blinking.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Way back in 2003 I went out and bought 3357 LED replacement lights for my Ford Taurus, mostly because it was a base model Taurus and I needed to stand out. Back in those days aside from needing to walk uphill both ways to school, we also needed to run resistors with LED lights so that they wouldn't blink obnoxiously fast or result in bulb-out warnings.

Fast forward about 5 years and I'm trying to put together a kit for the Grand Prixs that would be a full plug and play replacement to convert the cars to LED. I scrapped it because you still needed to add resistance to the LEDs to get them to work right.

Fast forward another 6 years to now and I'm shopping for some lights for the Audi that have just burnt out. I'm checking out the Audi forums to see what works and what doesn't and it's a total crapshoot.

And so I ask all you people of TCG, what the fuck? If you're taking a bulb type that is by it's very nature incandescent and you're offering an LED replacement for that wouldn't it stand to reason that it's going to need additional resistance in the circuit to work properly in most cars?

I mean you take a bulb like a 194 and you're making it an LED and offering it for sale. Well 100% of the applications that LED is going to go in would have had a bulb where the LED is now going to go so wouldn't it stand to reason that you would… Oh I don't know… add a resistor internally so that it matches the resistance of the bulb it's replacing?

I can't believe we've had these for 15 years now and people are still needing to putz with various different resistors just to get this stuff to work when the problem could be solved for pennies by simply matching the resistance of the bulb style you're emulating. It would also be easier.

BRB… Off to jam a bunch of resistors in my car to get my lights to stop hyper-blinking.

Hmmm I've replaced a few bulbs in my car with CANBUS 194's and had no issues.

CANBUS is key. Older cars used resistance to determine if the bulb is burnt out, but newer digital systems can sense much more minute changes in the resistance, and can still function properly with LED bulbs.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
CANBUS is key. Older cars used resistance to determine if the bulb is burnt out, but newer digital systems can sense much more minute changes in the resistance, and can still function properly with LED bulbs.

Totally understand that but incandescent bulbs are simple. Designing an LED to have the same resistance as the bulb it's replacing is also simple. There's just no reason why an LED replacement bulb should exist that requires a resistor, at least if it's emulating a type of bulb that is incandescent (194, 3157, 3357, etc).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info