Talk to me about used 330xi's

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Looking to buy a decent cruiser to give the house another set of wheels to use... two kids now drive, and currently at 2 cars... that's problematic. Don't really want to have to drive the GT500 everywhere ya know! :s00ls:

So I'm looking at early 2002-2005 330xi's. Will I kick myself for picking one of these up, or will it be pretty solid for a bit?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Looking to buy a decent cruiser to give the house another set of wheels to use... two kids now drive, and currently at 2 cars... that's problematic. Don't really want to have to drive the GT500 everywhere ya know! :s00ls:

So I'm looking at early 2002-2005 330xi's. Will I kick myself for picking one of these up, or will it be pretty solid for a bit?

The non turbo 3 series cars tend to be pretty reliable for what they are. I miss my old 335xi. One of the funniest most practice cars I've ever had

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
They're very solid cars. Only real problems I've come across with them are overheating/ head gasket problems, but, that's any car with a lack of maintenance.

Motors are good, auto transmissions are good, they handle nicely, get good mileage and are cheap for what you're getting.

Although, for someone your size, I would suggest the 5-series E39 bodystyle (97-03) like mine that you wanted lol. Much bigger inside, smoother ride, same drivetrain and almost the same gas mileage. Only downside I see from your request is you can not get them with all wheel drive. Just my .02

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Thanks, Frank. I'm probably not going to drive it too much (still have the burb). The wife and kids will spend more time in it.

I've been in plenty 3series... I know I don't fit real well... :rofl:

AWD is kind of important for me with the fam driving it.

Makes sense. I was thinking with you behind the wheel lol. They're great cars in my opinion. Despite having had a few BMW's I've never actually owned one. I've driven plenty, but, never got my hands on my own. Let me know if you have any specific questions about them, I know a decent amount about that drivetrain.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The drivetrain was my only real question. How long do they last? What should I look for when I'm checking these things out?

I've seen many reliably in the 200,000 mile club. Look for oil leaks. Check the oil filter housings (drivers side front of motor, they are a canister filter accessed from top of motor) and valve cover gasket up top and the oil pans down below. They do tend to leak, it's not the end of the world, but, fixing a ton of leaks can get expensive. If you find one you want feel free to bring it by Devo... We do used car inspections and have BMW specific software to check all the systems on that car.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Tell the kids to get a job and buy thier own damn car! :rofl:

That's what I had to do lol. Except I was told that from the time I was like... 11, so all the money from birthdays and cutting grass went right into the bank account lol. Taught me a good lesson on saving up and managing money wisely. Though, I seem to have lost most of those traits :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

my dad swore by ex-police cars for me and my siblings first cars...

they can take a beating- have heavy duty shit- last- are cheap and parts are readily available... and are safe.

i had a lumina, my brother and sister had impala's...

oh and they are also battle ships in the snow.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The 330 wasn't bad to work on at all [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] as far as normal wearable things you would repair yourself. engine bay is pretty tight, as are most other modern cars.

I don't doubt that at all.. I know you had to do a few things to your car...

I would bet though that a used cop car is probably easier though :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
e9ury4a5.jpg

2004 330xi acquired. It's got a few miles, but it's wicked clean and just had all its belts changed and the oil separator replaced.

Drives great, only thing that needs to be fixed is the sunroof shade. Even under the hood is super clean.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
e9ury4a5.jpg

2004 330xi acquired. It's got a few miles, but it's wicked clean and just had all its belts changed and the oil separator replaced.

Drives great, only thing that needs to be fixed is the sunroof shade. Even under the hood is super clean.

:bigthumb: someone needs to get this guy under control, he's runnin'a'muk out there with the car purchases :s00ls:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info