Comparison: Camaro Z/28 vs. 911 Turbo S vs. GT-R Track Edition

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Hmmmm. This new post showed up blank.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...1_turbo_s_nissan_gt_r_comparison/viewall.html

3rd Place: Nissan GT-R Track Edition
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away. Still a monster, but long in the tooth. The 2015 refresh arrives none too soon.

2nd Place: Porsche 911 Turbo S
One of the quickest production cars of all time, the Turbo S is caught in a weird space between grand touring and track attack.

1st Place: Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Impressive. Most impressive. The General flexes its red, white, and blue muscles. Simply put, this is Chevy at its best.

Close Shave at Barber Motorsports Park
By: Kim Reynolds Here’s a description of performance you’d never expect to read: In their individual fastest laps, the Camaro Z/28 often beat the GT-R and 911 Turbo through Barber Motorsports Park’s most challenging corners, while the German and the Japanese cars repeatedly out-dragged the Chevrolet down the straights. Really? Really. And those wiggly lines don’t just tell a simple story of a Z/28 shod with absurdly grippy shoes. The Camaro found its greatest time gains in the high-speed corners and the trickiest transitions -- places where a car has to give you plenty of confidence to really lean on it. Take a look at Turns 9, 11, 12, and 13 -- these are white-knucklers. Moreover, although the steepness of their braking rates is quite similar, if you inspect the traces closely, the Z/28 also stops fractionally harder and sometimes deeper into the corners. An interesting contrast between the GT-R and the 911 happens through Turns 12, 13, and 14. The Nissan slows more for the corners, but accelerates much harder out of them. At the finish, the 911 Turbo trails the Z/28 by 38 feet, with the GT-R 60 feet astern.

lap-times-chart.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't have any issue with them testing on the factory tires. Automakers spend a lot of time getting the right feel and performance with their OEM tire choice. Sure, it could be faster, but if the car is under-tired then that's what buyers are getting from the factory. These articles shouldn't have to come with a footnote saying "Must buy XYZ tires to match our results."

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I agree the Z/28 is on another planet. :s00ls:

In all seriousness I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a Camaro, a fucking Camaro, putting these super cars in the rear view on a road coarse. American cars have come a long, long way. I would love to own a Z/28 some day but I have a feeling I will be settling on a 1LE unless the 6th gen is a better package.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
If I had the money to cross-shop any of these cars, I'd probably go with the Porsche, as I've always swung really hard Porsche. But there is no denying that all three of these cars are out of this world. Plus, considering the times, they basically all performed the same, 2 tenths between the Z/28 and Porsche, and a half second between the Z/28 and GTR is pretty miniscule.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info