Picked up a new ride last week. Need to find a shop to tune it.

QuikHD

Regular
Jun 20, 2012
Flame away!

Last week I picked up a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS. It has some basic bolt ons like headers, exhaust, and 1.7 roller rockers. I don't believe the car has been tuned.

The previous owner didn't know much about the history of the car and claimed "it shouldn't need tuning" he removed the cats and patched in pipe where they were like a hack!

I'm going to change all the fluids, fix the exhaust issues and want to find a local shop that can tune it and make sure it's running right. Recommendations on a good shop would be great! Want to find one that has worked with vipers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA36His23aI

QuikHD

Regular
Jun 20, 2012
Hope my video worked

Here are a couple pics

0A700B6C-4969-4B7D-8470-9FFBCA05453F_zpsnutuzyfi.jpg

5EACA376-0647-4A91-BE10-6D6D77EE00BD_zpsalx3ezw8.png

5F3FF771-A601-4DA4-8AC0-7A4FE7B02839_zpsnhku1xco.jpg

QuikHD

Regular
Jun 20, 2012
Really nice car, how do you like it compared to the cobra?

I think Tim Barth also tunes these.

I've only driven it around the block. It's much slower than my 635rwhp cobra lol

Tim said he couldn't/wouldn't tune it.....maybe he just didn't want too??? He did a good job with my cobra he was the first person I contacted.

It's very tight inside, rides like a race car, steering response is like a go cart, and does require more attention to what you are doing......I LOVE IT. It kinda rides scrappy, I'm too big for the cockpit, but IMO it's got the right kind of character that makes me love it.

QuikHD

Regular
Jun 20, 2012
Who would flame a guy for buying a fcuking Viper!?! That car made plenty of boners for me in high school

Many people seem to think they are junk, vettes are better, over priced, ugly........I've read lots of interesting comments on them

I personally think it's going to go down in history as one of the most iconic American made cars ever. Every time I look at it, I see a modern Shelby Daytona coupe. Carroll Shelby is IMO the greatest thing to ever happen to motorsports

martyb

Oct 16, 2012
Nice GTS. Does it have a VEC or SCT for tuning purposes? I know Sound Performance has tuned a few Vipers with a VEC2.

I have an 01 GTS with similar mods, but I also had a 708 cam and good lifters installed, still running the factory tune.

You should pick up 10-15 Hp with a tune.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Nice. Send it straight to UGR. No question. Their viper builds are perfect, and they stand behind their work 110%. If you don't have the coin for an underground build, send your ecm to Doug Levin. Do NOT let Paulo touch it, that is if he is still around.

Be careful if you are still running the stock minivan calipers, or are running tires older than three or four years old.

Have fun!

QuikHD

Regular
Jun 20, 2012
Nice GTS. Does it have a VEC or SCT for tuning purposes? I know Sound Performance has tuned a few Vipers with a VEC2.

I have an 01 GTS with similar mods, but I also had a 708 cam and good lifters installed, still running the factory tune.

You should pick up 10-15 Hp with a tune.

Mine is a 1997, I'm lucky it came with the 708 cam. It also has T&D 1.7 roller rockers on it.

It doesn't have any type of tuner on it or one that came with it anyway. I don't know if it has a tune in it. Pretty sure it doesn't.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Mine is a 1997, I'm lucky it came with the 708 cam. It also has T&D 1.7 roller rockers on it.

It doesn't have any type of tuner on it or one that came with it anyway. I don't know if it has a tune in it. Pretty sure it doesn't.

Look under the driver's seat to see if the stock computer is there. It's possible you could have an aem as well.

QuikHD

Regular
Jun 20, 2012
Nice. Send it straight to UGR. No question. Their viper builds are perfect, and they stand behind their work 110%. If you don't have the coin for an underground build, send your ecm to Doug Levin. Do NOT let Paulo touch it, that is if he is still around.

Be careful if you are still running the stock minivan calipers, or are running tires older than three or four years old.

Have fun!

A previous owner put Gen 3 brakes on it front and rear.

Where is UGR located?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info