Will's Turbo TA - First time at the track

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
So I went to Byron to run the TA for the first time. Keep in mind that I've never ran the TA at the strip before so my expectations were conservative as I was just looking to dial in some things and get a feel for a launch. I just hoped that I could get in the 10's and not break anything. I also wasn't going to race the tree. I wanted to get seat time and get a routine/launch down before I look to race the other guy.

null_zps67030d88.jpg

The car is full weight with absolutely no weight reduction outside of the spare tire that was removed to make room for the battery box. I have no cage in it and the wheels on the car are the same I drive on the street. No slicks/skinnies here. Just 17" TTM's with MT ET's on the rear and big ol 275 wide Nitto 555's up front. My suspension is basic adjustable UMI type stuff.

Mods: See sig. Car made 735whp/920wtq on a mustang dyno at 17psi on e85.
10psi passes would put me at around 575-600whp. 13psi would be around 650whp.

1st pass. I ran on wastegate spring pressure which is set at about 10psi and decided to mildly foot brake car to get a feel for the car on the track. I did a rather gay burnout but hell thats me getting used to the process of backing into the water box. I staged and got ready for the light. It bogged hard off the line with the track being so sticky and me not giving enough rpm. It got me a lousy 2.1 60'. First run was 11.040@139MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty6ka5s6spw

2nd pass. I kept the car on 10psi and decided to test the tbrake out to see if I can get a good launch and still wanted to keep the boost conservative to get a feel for it. This time I staged the car and hit the button. I gave it some rpm and could hear the turbo spool. This got me a better 60' (1.7) but still didn't leave as hard as I would have liked to. Fuck yeah, second ever pass and I ran a 10.5@135mph. This is getting interesting since i'm on such low boost still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oanGMVVDXRc

3rd pass. This is my best pass of the day. Still running on 10psi and using the tbrake. I gave it a bit better burnout this time. I staged the car and hit the button. I gave it some rpm and as soon as I saw the first light hit I floored it down and let off the button once I heard it spool fully. unfortunately the time it takes to spool the turbo is longer than it takes the tree to light up. I get a little better 60' at 1.6. I'm not sure what to expect with 17' drag radials, but figure that isn't too bad. Car ran great on this pass and could feel it spin a little past the 60' mark, but not too much. Ran 10.4@134mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9iceGIQhlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAV31-BOlQ

Last pass. I'm elated to know that on my lowest boost pressure i'm deep in the 10's pretty easily. I feel good about how the car is handling and feel comfortable bumping up the boost a little. I set it to 13psi and do a nice healthy burnout. I get staged, hit the tbrake, mash that bitch to the floor and let off the button. Best launch of the day and a little quicker than my last 1.6 by a couple hundredths. As I get up toward the backhalf I could feel and hear the car break up a little and it wasn't pulling as hard as it should be. I ended up running a 10.9@127mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTQRNPSiXPo

I have to pull some plugs and see what's going on. The day was getting pretty hot and humid at 90* and swamp ass all day. I figure i may be blowing the plugs out with more boost. I'll replace them, tighten up the gap and also check for some boost leaks. Overall, i'm happy with what I ran and feel I have a solid 9 second car once I clear up the issues and can run full boost. I suprised alot of people with the car considering it doesn't sit on some skinnies with big 28" rubber out rear and appears pretty stock.

TimeSlip2_zpsf7243be2.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Thanks guys. I've never oversold what my car could do and am glad that I exceed my own expectations. Even at the half mile I was only expecting 160 on high boost and did that on low. :D

Now I just have to figure out how to stage the thing so I can bump into the light with some throttle and use the tbrake to finish spooling the turbo before the 3rd yellow.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Congrats. Nice first outing with it.

Now I just have to figure out how to stage the thing so I can bump into the light with some throttle and use the tbrake to finish spooling the turbo before the 3rd yellow.

Usually you will have to hold the brakes and bump into the beams with rpm and even spooling some if running a Pro tree. That takes practice and good brakes. You can also play with timing and fuel to help spool faster. Just going to take time and testing to see what works best.

I would say ignore reaction times for now. Dial the car in with out worrying about staging or cutting a good light. Once the car is dialed in you can go back and start staging for reaction times.

Seriously... Why did it take people so long to come around to turbos? Just amazing amounts of power with awesome drivability.

Engine management and cost I would say are the two biggest factors. When Borge Warner finally released their Airwerks turbos they cut other manufactures at the knees with prices. So that helped when you don't have to buy a $2,500 turbo.

Being able to control the engine and boost with stock like drivability is a huge help. No one wants a car that makes killer power but you can't keep running.

I love turbos and saw the light years ago. Technology just making it easier and easier.

Bump Box.

Those things look brutal. I would hate to do that to my car. haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info