2004 LB7 Duramax loses idle and dies on deceleration - very intermittently

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Hey guys,

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax LB7, 70k miles, stock injectors with only 1 ever replaced (supposedly), Banks stinger tuner, 5" intake (made for stock maf tuning) and 5" exhaust. Stock turbo and trans with towing package.

truck starts and drives ok, but then sometimes it goes into stupid mode and will not idle properly, surging on deceleration slightly and then once at a full stop will surge between 450 and 750 (normal idle) and eventually die. You can save it sometimes by two footing it, but the problem does not cease to exist until it finally kills itself.

once dies, attempt to restart right away and it will crank with no fire at all. not even trying to fire. Maybe 2 minutes later, hit the key and it fires up like nothing ever happened. Then proceeds to drive fine for an indeterminate amount of time (could be 2 days, could be 2 hours, could be 2 weeks) Very difficult to test.

No codes showing, no notification of water in fuel that I can tell. Fuel filter isn't all that old (maybe 5-7k miles) but I do have another one to swap in.

lets get some ideas and experience going here. I need to make this go away permanently, otherwise the truck is only useful to drive within a mile of my house.

Thanks,

-Jesus/Dennis

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info