Need some advice/suggestions on a next car

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
So I've been shopping around for a replacement for the GTP, and not sure what I want yet. So let's play a fun little game. Here's the list of requirements:

A. At least an '01, or newer (would prefer my new car not be older than the car it's replacing)
B. Has some room inside (either a midsized+ with trunk space, or a wagon/hatch) because I will be doing a lot of junkyarding with it.
C. Gets as good MPG or better than the GTP (for the same reason as above).
D. Reliable (I understand this will be an older car, and things will break, but the less often they're known for doing so, the better).
E. Relatively cheap/easy to fix/find parts for.
F. At least SOMEWHAT decent looking. I know you can't get all the above into a jaw-dropping body style, but I at least want something I don't mind looking at everyday.​

And all within a budget of around $5k-ish (see?? I TOLD you it would be fun!). I might go a bit higher for the right car, but I'd prefer to keep it in that range for now until the whole being laid off thing is resolved. :ugh:

So far, the only cars I've found that meet everything above are the Mazda Protege5 and early Pontiac Vibes. Yeah, I was thrilled to. I'd prefer the P5 out of the 2 looks wise, but both have been getting excellent reviews from what I've read as far as reliability (so long as you stay away from the AWD Vibe). I definitely wouldn't mind something a little...."nicer", though.

Then I stumbled upon this, and actually really like it as far as a vehicle that will fit the bill. I like the exterior design (by wagon standards), I like the interior, looks like plenty of cargo room, from digging around a bit, it appears to get almost exactly the same MPG as the GTP, it's an '04 so it's newer than my car, it has under 100k miles, and being a Florida car is a huge plus. Only thing I'm concerned about is cost and difficulty of repairs (as with most European cars). If anyone has some knowledge about them, what do I need to know about these?

2004 Volvo V40 773-865-9071

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
I've looked into a few Hondas, but most of the '01 & up in the $5k price range have way more miles than I care for in a replacement car. I also looked into Nissans (wouldn't mind a Maxima or Ultima), and the same held true. The fact that you found those ones for that cheap actually kinda' worries me, and I didn't know about the floorboards issue that Dan mentioned.

I actually might have come across another candidate. I think with some shopping around, I can get a lower mileage '06ish Saturn Vue, and I think that covers everything I'm looking for.

It's obviously going to be newer than my car.
It would definitely have plenty of room.
It has a 250hp 3.5L DOHC Honda motor, so decent ability to get out of its own way.
Gets surprisingly good gas mileage given the weight and power output.
They're not great, but decent looking IMO (I've always kinda' liked them :hsugh: ).​

Only thing I'm not sure on is overall reliability. I know I'll have to deal with the timing belt, and those are always fun, but anyone know of any issues outside of this?

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I've looked into a few Hondas, but most of the '01 & up in the $5k price range have way more miles than I care for in a replacement car. I also looked into Nissans (wouldn't mind a Maxima or Ultima), and the same held true. The fact that you found those ones for that cheap actually kinda' worries me, and I didn't know about the floorboards issue that Dan mentioned.

I actually might have come across another candidate. I think with some shopping around, I can get a lower mileage '06ish Saturn Vue, and I think that covers everything I'm looking for.

It's obviously going to be newer than my car.
It would definitely have plenty of room.
It has a 250hp 3.5L DOHC Honda motor, so decent ability to get out of its own way.
Gets surprisingly good gas mileage given the weight and power output.
They're not great, but decent looking IMO (I've always kinda' liked them :hsugh: ).​

Only thing I'm not sure on is overall reliability. I know I'll have to deal with the timing belt, and those are always fun, but anyone know of any issues outside of this?

There was issues with the VTi Trans in some sub-2005 models if so equipped. Otherwise they are pretty damn stout and surprisingly quick for their age and size. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered them a few times, test driving a couple.

'06 was post face-lift, so it would look decent too! lol.

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Are you talking about the CVT trans? Those were only available on the 4-cylinders I believe, and only in the '02 and '03 models. They apparently had enough issues even that early that they decided to drop it for '04 on up. Thankfully! That might be why I had this idea in my head that the Vues were unreliable POS', and skipped over all the ads for them.

As for the face lift, are you referring to the '08 - '10 2nd gens? That was a complete redesign which was a re-badged Opel. Otherwise, it DID get a very minor facelift on the 1st gen for '06 & '07 with a redone interior. That's what I really want to shoot for (the interior is MUCH nicer on those), though finding a nice condition one with under 100k in my price range will be a challenge. Actually, what I'd REALLY like is a Redline, but that's not going to happen in that price range.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Not sure why there is even a contest here?

No mention of it having to be balls fast, or ever needing to be for that matter, should put Ford Escapes and Honda CRV's firmly in your cross-hairs. Both can be had as FWD 5 speed manuals if you want something a little more entertaining, both can be found for that money in an 01+ model year, both are known for being dead reliable.

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
'06. Don't forget the exterior aesthetics got a little revising as well! New bumpers, Grill, etc. Huge improvement over the old garbage unfinished plastics and such.

Ah, nevermind. I misread what you wrote. I thought you said "PRE-facelift, so it would look decent". I was like......but I LIKE the '06/'07 facelift. :( That's why I thought maybe you meant the 2nd gen. Anyway, yes, no doubt the facelift is a huge improvement. It somewhat reminds me of the 2nd gen without the over the top Euro egg-shape the 2nd gen took on. Now I just gotta' see if I can track one down for $5k - $6k.

Not sure why there is even a contest here?

No mention of it having to be balls fast, or ever needing to be for that matter, should put Ford Escapes and Honda CRV's firmly in your cross-hairs. Both can be had as FWD 5 speed manuals if you want something a little more entertaining, both can be found for that money in an 01+ model year, both are known for being dead reliable.

As I mentioned a couple posts earlier, I've searched a bit for Honda CR-Vs and Elements, as I'm well aware of Honda's reliability rep. But the only ones that show up in my price range are either really high miles (one of the requirements was lower miles, i.e. ~100k or less), or for the CR-Vs, they were mostly all 1st gen ('95 - '01), and those are hideous to me. Not to mention for that price, I can get a Honda motor and trans in the Vue, except a 3.5L 250hp V6 that's equally as fuel efficient (slightly better on the hwy, believe it or not) than the manual 2.0 in the CR-V, and in a vehicle that's a few years newer.

Ford Escapes/Mazda Tributes....I've not often heard the term reliable in describing the first gens. Not so much drivetrain issues as I've heard electrical problems, frequent brakes problems, EGR, etc. Not to mention the 5-spd manual 127hp 2.0L 4-cylinder in those gets only a hair better gas mileage (21/26) than the auto 250hp 3.5L 6-cylinder in the Vue (18/25).

At this point, I'm starting to feel pretty solid in the decision to hunt down a Vue.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Ah, nevermind. I misread what you wrote. I thought you said "PRE-facelift, so it would look decent". I was like......but I LIKE the '06/'07 facelift. :( That's why I thought maybe you meant the 2nd gen. Anyway, yes, no doubt the facelift is a huge improvement. It somewhat reminds me of the 2nd gen without the over the top Euro egg-shape the 2nd gen took on. Now I just gotta' see if I can track one down for $5k - $6k.

Yep! By far my favorite looking out of their few iterations.

Good shit brother. Let us know what you find!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
As I mentioned a couple posts earlier, I've searched a bit for Honda CR-Vs and Elements, as I'm well aware of Honda's reliability rep. But the only ones that show up in my price range are either really high miles (one of the requirements was lower miles, i.e. ~100k or less), or for the CR-Vs, they were mostly all 1st gen ('95 - '01), and those are hideous to me. Not to mention for that price, I can get a Honda motor and trans in the Vue, except a 3.5L 250hp V6 that's equally as fuel efficient (slightly better on the hwy, believe it or not) than the manual 2.0 in the CR-V, and in a vehicle that's a few years newer.

Ford Escapes/Mazda Tributes....I've not often heard the term reliable in describing the first gens. Not so much drivetrain issues as I've heard electrical problems, frequent brakes problems, EGR, etc. Not to mention the 5-spd manual 127hp 2.0L 4-cylinder in those gets only a hair better gas mileage (21/26) than the auto 250hp 3.5L 6-cylinder in the Vue (18/25).

At this point, I'm starting to feel pretty solid in the decision to hunt down a Vue.

The Vue is NOT a good choice honestly. The Honda powered V-6 models have Glass Transmissions if I recall (Same as early Honda Vans/Ridgelines/etc), and that wasn't really corrected until the late late 00's. Saturn build quality is also not exactly known for awesome fit and finish...

I'd rather own a 140K mile 2002 CRV than a 75K mile VUE, and you can find good deals.

Here is a quick Auto Trader Result:

Cars for Sale: 2002 Honda CR-V 4WD EX in Chicago, IL 60632: Sport Utility Details - 343838385 - AutoTrader.com

02 (So K motor), 5 speed, 140K on it, asking 6k.

I'm sure Craigslist private sale will result in better prices/finds.

As for Escapes:

I feel you are splitting hairs on 'brake' issues, electrical problems, EGR?

Many light trucks 'chew' through their brakes (GMC Canyon Twins are an especially good example), Not sure what kind of electrical problems you've heard stories about, but I have 2 good friends that both have V-6 models that haven't had a singular electrical issue, one friend has owned his for going on 5/6 years now (And his parents own a 4 banger stickshift one and I recall him saying it got 30+mpg depending upon how you drive it) [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] knows who I'm talking about, Has he had any real issues with his truck? Or has his family?)

I REALLY wouldn't knock them off your list, I'd strongly recommend driving one, its build quality is leaps and bounds better than a Saturn....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
^^^ Paul, our friend, has an 05 AWD 3.0 and his mom has an 02 FWD 2.0

neither have had issues with their trucks that werent caused by them purposely :rofl:

My escape has been good to me. Then again I bought a fully loaded one that is MINT.

I have no complaints.

Id unload it for the right price ;)

I remember trying to get him un-stuck with his bald-ass tires on that ComEd Access road :bowrofl:.

He BURIED the corner of his escape in mud, and we spent an hour+ trying to drag it out, and I think he had to replace the wheel bearing after spinning submerged in mud for that hour.... That's about it :dunno:

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
The Vue is NOT a good choice honestly. The Honda powered V-6 models have Glass Transmissions if I recall (Same as early Honda Vans/Ridgelines/etc), and that wasn't really corrected until the late late 00's.

Hmmmm. Almost all the complaints I read about were for the CVT transmissions (the only auto trans offered in the 4-cylinder models through '04) which basically have a 100% failure rate under 100k miles, even the replacements/rebuilds. I've read enough complaints about CVT transmissions in general that I'd never buy a car with one. I thought the 5-speed auto that came with the V6 seemed OK. I did read that they're quite temperamental on keeping up with the maintenance (change fluid every 50k), otherwise it will cause issues with the torque converter, but other than that, as long as proper maintenance was done, there didn't seem to be too many failures. I suppose the problem becomes finding one that you know for a fact has had the maintenance done on time.

Saturn build quality is also not exactly known for awesome fit and finish...

Oh I'm aware Saturn fit & finish is garbage (even more so than the other crap GM put out), but having known 2 people who had one, and having seen and/or sat in a ton of them at the junkyards, I don't exactly consider the fit & finish of the other 2 SUVs to be top notch, either. I accept the fact that I'm not going to be getting a nice, quiet vehicle with solid and fancy materials inside for what I'm spending. Also, while the '06+ is still not great, the consensus from everything I've read on message boards is it's a significant step up from the pre-makeover interior with better materials, and shuts up a lot of the rattles and noises.

I'd rather own a 140K mile 2002 CRV than a 75K mile VUE, and you can find good deals.

I understand that they're going to be built better all around mechanically, but paying that kind of money for a vehicle with that many miles....that would just eat at me and get under my skin. Even with my current GTP, when I went to buy it, it was the best looking and running car I had test driven at that point, despite having the most miles on it by far. Yet it took a while to convince myself to buy it because it had 112k miles already on the clock (178k now), and that's obviously well under the number of miles a CR-V in my price range is going to have. I'm not completely ruling it out per se, but I know it would bug the hell out of me knowing a vehicle I'm going to have for some time is starting out with that many miles.

As for Escapes:

I feel you are splitting hairs on 'brake' issues, electrical problems, EGR?

Many light trucks 'chew' through their brakes (GMC Canyon Twins are an especially good example), Not sure what kind of electrical problems you've heard stories about, but I have 2 good friends that both have V-6 models that haven't had a singular electrical issue, one friend has owned his for going on 5/6 years now (And his parents own a 4 banger stickshift one and I recall him saying it got 30+mpg depending upon how you drive it) [MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] knows who I'm talking about, Has he had any real issues with his truck? Or has his family?)

I REALLY wouldn't knock them off your list, I'd strongly recommend driving one, its build quality is leaps and bounds better than a Saturn....

Well...that's the problem when comparing reliability. Everyone has car stories, and they can vary greatly. I've been tearing my hair out trying to come up with a car that fits the bill because every single freaking vehicle I've given any remote contemplation to has had a huge list of people with nightmare stories, and a huge list of people with 200k+ trouble free miles (including the Vue) when I researched them. So much of it depends on climate/region, maintenance, how rough people are on their vehicles, etc.

That being said, there are a number of common problems/repairs on gen I Escapes, several of which a guy I know from NAPA and a former coworker had dealt with on their V6s years back. Ignition coils and boots, O2 sensor, cats (...all THREE of them), upper and lower intake gaskets, IAC valve, EGR valve, DPFE sensor, door handles breaking and not allowing you to open the door from the outside, etc. Is this to say they all suffer from these? No. Just like my GTP hasn't suffered from even 1/4 of the common GP issues despite the miles. Point is there are enough of them out there afflicted with these issues that they're deemed common. And it may be splitting hairs, but they're very similar to the hairs found on the Vue. Besides that, I've just never been able to stand Ford interior designs/layouts from that era. Something about them just really bugs me.

Anyway, I wasn't really shopping for an SUV per se. The only reason I was thinking about the Vue is because it seemed to offer a lot more power/performance with about the same MPG as the GTP while offering a lot more cargo space from the other vehicles I was looking at earlier. But if the Vue isn't a viable choice, then I'd rather stick to my original picks of either a Pontiac Vibe (non-AWD, now THOSE were made out of glass), or a Protege5. I know, I know. Neither one exactly thrills me either, but both get excellent city MPG, are fairly inexpensive to maintain, have almost entirely positive feed back, are priced below every other vehicle mentioned in this thread for the relative year, and are no slower than any of the SUVs we're talking about (in fact, if I decide to go Vibe GT [only available in stick], it would actually have semi-decent pick up). I was just hoping I could find something with a LITTLE more aggression to them performance-wise.

Please don't think I'm just trying to be difficult, or don't appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I do appreciate it quite a bit, and I have not ruled anything out completely yet. I'm just frustrated to hell right now. For starters, this whole budget situation is stemming from getting laid off from my job of 17 years just as my car is barely hanging on and needs to be replaced. And then to top that off, every time I think I might have found a candidate that fits the bill and I might actually like, someone has to throw a wrench at it. Damn you, Dasfinc!!!

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
you are going to have that with ANY CAR...

70% of the "stories" you will hear are from people who have had bad experiences. Kind of like when you go to Yelp.com to read a review on a business, most of the reviews are bad? Why is that? Because if people are satisfied, most of the time, they will not post about it because that is what the business is supposed to do, please their customer. When something doesn't go the customers way, they bitch about it because its the opposite of what is expected.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info