Thanks WannaGOFAST, Bult Field, & Sponsors

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Thank you for bringing the 1/2 mile event to Chicago. Racing was on a runway was awesome, something I wanted to-do for a very long time. We were lucky to have decent weather even though the rain Saturday afternoon was inevitable. You are welcome to come back to Chicago. I am sure I speak for a lot of people when I said I had a great time.

A few SUGGESTIONS for future events. (Chicago or other locations)

• Garbage cans - I don't think I saw a single one. A lot of garbage from disrespectful people was all over the airport grounds.
  • PA System - We could not hear anything in the pits, or the other end of the runway. It would be nice to hear cars MPH or if the white Mercedes blocking the staging lanes needs to be moved. Even during the important drivers meeting we couldn't hear anything. More speakers in more locations are necessary.
  • Staging lanes - Saturday morning myself and others were getting frustrated on how slow races were getting off. Not sure if you tried this before but the 1/4 mile tracks around here race a row of cars then another row. When you are done making a pass you go back into the same row. I know running cars down the line can minimize people "cheating" or getting more runs but it sucks standing by the car the whole time and moving it every few min until you race. If you run cars row by row when you are not racing you can go use the bathroom, get food, watch the races, whatever, until the rotation gets back to the row you were in. The races moved faster once the day progressed, but Saturday morning a lot of us were wondering what the hell is going on.
  • Runway - Find the one they used in Fast and Furious 6. :hsughlol:

That is all, thanks again!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
#1 Agreed, people are so effing lazy and disrespectful. I was carrying around my garbage all day. Even a snotted up rag! The 2nd day however, I did notice garbage bags hanging from the fences. That was really nice.
#2 Agreed again, I was dying to know how fast some of those cars were going.
#3 Didn't race so no comment on this.
#4 Yes.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
X2 Pretty god damn epic event, wish I knew it was going to be winter on sunday though. I def think I should sponsor and do a bikini car wash next time.

I agree with the above suggestions and would like to add that we could have used more port-o-potties, and next time put them on the concrete. It was a muddy mess by that thing and the smell was killer from overuse.

Pretty awesome my son's first time to a race track was an event like this. Can't wait till the next one!

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't think WGF has done an event on this scale over two days and 300+ cars with that many spectators. Plus out of their native area with predictable south east weather :rofl:

I agree with most of the above and hope they return to the area. It was awesome to see the TCG and Chicago car scene support the event. I couldn't walk more than a few steps before running into someone from the site.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The event was fun but had some issues that were brought up. I will be back for sure.

Not sure if you tried this before but the 1/4 mile tracks around here race a row of cars then another row. When you are done making a pass you go back into the same row. I know running cars down the line can minimize people "cheating" or getting more runs but it sucks standing by the car the whole time and moving it every few min until you race. If you run cars row by row when you are not racing you can go use the bathroom, get food, watch the races, whatever, until the rotation gets back to the row you were in.

The staging process they had was fair. But was a pain for the reasons you posted. Many times we had to go around cars that had people who had left them to go watch or what ever. That was a pain. You really should never leave you car un attended or at least out of your sight.

Although I agree with running a lane out you need to put a limit on the number of cars you run per lane before you go to the next lane. The 1/4 mile tracks around here pull 10 or 12 cars per lane. Then go to the next lane. Because the staging person can not see, or be expected to remember, who is in the back of the lane. Because as the lase starts to run down people try to jump in that lane. If people keep doing that you never would move to the next lane. So when you only pull a certain number of cars the new comers will fill into the shortest lanes. No need to jump back into the same lane as you last pass.

The only time you see Byron run the whole lane empty is if it is a reserved club lane that is set up in advance. In which case those people use the same lanes and the track will run out the whole lane. The normal Pro Tree and T&T lanes are not run until empty. And as we saw at the last TCG track day clubs can also be skipped a whole rotation if the track feels it is necessary.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
As a racer, I really didn't have too many concerns.
#1 issue - Part of the driver meeting and orientation should REALLY include a parade of the runway surface and return lanes. My bet is that you would have decreased the # of cars that went off the big end of the runway had this been done. In my opinion, this should NEVER be missed at an event again.
* Saturday delays would have been understood by the masses much had the announcer stated that there were issues with the timing equipment being blown around in the wind and needing to be reset multiple times.
* More communication from the folks manning the lanes to the drivers - when there was a car that went off the runway, there was very little information shared with the drivers that there would be a delay.

As a spectator, I would have liked:
#1 complaint - I feel that having the space between the pit area and the designated spectator area be a "people free area" was a bad deal. There can and should have been an area divided off for people to stand there. The officer asked to patrol the area there was even uncomfortable about it.
* to have been able to hear the announcer from more areas within the venue.
* to have had a speed sign flashing the recorded speeds for everyone to see.
* MORE FOOD in the food trucks. I understand that maybe there were much more people there than expected, but it seems that the food trucks ran dry both days. Maybe more food trucks were needed?
* Restroom facilities were actually decent.
* As already mentioned, not enough garbage cans were on the property. I would have come prepared to remove my own trash if I was told I needed to... but that wasn't the case.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Mildly disappointed i couldnt come out and spectate at the even this weekend. I was in boston for vacation and had a great time there. You guys did a great job with the photos and videos. Definitely looked like a good time that went without any major issues. Hope I can be part of this event in the future.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I agree with a lot said here. I just hope that this doesn't turn away the WGF crew. We want a better event for everyone. Abd I know we're all here to help.

I dont think anything being said in here is a negative. They are legit observations that I think EVERYONE I spoke with echoed. In the grand scheme, they are small but constructive critiques.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Wait, Ktraver had hair? The hell? That's funny, from noon to 3 I was hustling to find something to eat, and then standing at the finish line the whole time.

hmmm I was at the finish line from like 2-3, wtf? Right when the Ford GTs ran and then I left right after Andy ran the TT TA.

Maybeeee you should have modded the SS and not the Bonneville :dunno:

Yeah, but I got the mods for the bonne for a minimal amount of cash and gave james a car to do the labor. Any plans for the SS are gunna cost me some serious coin that I can justify spending on a car i drive 3 times a year.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
hmmm I was at the finish line from like 2-3, wtf? Right when the Ford GTs ran and then I left right after Andy ran the TT TA.

Yeah, but I got the mods for the bonne for a minimal amount of cash and gave james a car to do the labor. Any plans for the SS are gunna cost me some serious coin that I can justify spending on a car i drive 3 times a year.

oYp8KAn.jpg

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Very professional event. Amazing job and I had the most fun I could possibly ask for. Besides the above suggestions everything was perfect. I couldn't believe how that airstrip seemed to be perfect for a race event. Having the pits between the hangers was awesome and the staging area seemed PERFECT for race cars!

I ended up coming home with a big bag full of garbage, trying to keep it clean.

Food! Don't tell everyone they can't grill out but then have one food truck with limited food and the closest food joint 10miles away. Also, the drivers lunch... Kinda lacking. I was expecting a meal, not a tamale lol. It's appreciated but if I had known i would have planned for my own food at the pits.

In short, if you're going to promise food make it better. Otherwise let people know so they can bring their own. I have no problem with you offering no food and telling us to bring our own. That's probably ok with a lot of people.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info