British Show - Wheeler Dealers

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Wheeler dealers has been around for years. They show them on Universal HD on cable all them time...or is it Velocity now?

I can pretty much sum up each episode. Dude buys clapped out shitbox and gives it to his giant mechanic. His mechanic performs the shadiest fixes and repairs (lots of bondo and spray paint) and makes it look "decent" so they can sell it. First dude comes back and picks up the car, and proceeds to sell it for about what he originally paid for it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Wheeler dealers has been around for years. They show them on Universal HD on cable all them time...or is it Velocity now?

I can pretty much sum up each episode. Dude buys clapped out shitbox and gives it to his giant mechanic. His mechanic performs the shadiest fixes and repairs (lots of bondo and spray paint) and makes it look "decent" so they can sell it. First dude comes back and picks up the car, and proceeds to sell it for about what he originally paid for it.

I've never seen the dude use lots of Bondo and spray paint.... not sure what episodes you watched? The repairs he does all look legit, and hardly shady at all. You make it sound like he is fixing cars with ducttape and glue :ugh:.

Last one I watched was an 8 series BMW, where he showed some really cool ways to pull dents, and fixed a cracked front valence. They paid $1000 pounds to have the car repainted. Actually seen/learned a couple of cool tricks from watching the show.

Granted I've mostly only watched seasons 6 and newer.

I thought it was more based on how to buy a car and fix it yourself. Which is why they don't factor in the time it takes to fix it.

That's really more how I watch this show. They rarely make much actual profit, but I REALLY don't think that's what the show is about.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I have watched probably every episode since 2006. He has used some spray paint in the past. One of them came out really nasty. The newer stuff he realized he sucks ass at painting and has a professional paint them. I dont think his body work is any different then a local shop would do. And I also think most of his repairs are legit. As far as making money. I have seen them loose some quid. And I have seen them sell for 2500 pounds profit. Do the math on that to US $ kiddies. Its a fairly large gain.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
That is some SERIOUS rot, not sure what else you can/should do there?

Also a really old episode, dude is nearly all grey now.

As that is a convertible, that piece is extremely crucial in the structural rigidity incase of a roll-over. Either unfixable or go through and fix and reinforce. I'm not a welder or an engineer, but i do know that welding metal can have an effect on the surrounding metal, and possibly make it weaker? Just sayin.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but his early stuff was pretty sketchy.

Tbone63

The Interceptor
Apr 12, 2011
Crystal Lake, IL
I like the show, but Mike Brewer is an idiot. Every British car they feature is a "triumph of British engineering" according to him. But when they did a C4 Corvette, he mentions literally 5 times how American electrics are "dodgy" and none of the buttons on the Vette worked, but no repairs were necessary other than a new digital dash and a wiring issue with the headlights that some Brit did after inhaling a few pints. This coming from a man who hails from a country that gave the world Lucas Electrics, the Prince of Darkness. And when he did a 911 from California, he mentions numerous times how they had to "de-Americanize" some of the styling cues on it because "you know how the Americans are".

I complained about this on their WD website and they promptly took it down. Go figure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info