What is a good brand for a jack?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I couldn't recommend the craftsman jacks. Managed to have one go out in about 1.5 years and the next one in about 3 weeks. Seals went out and the fluid just poured out of it. Seems like a common issue at least for this model.

4 Ton Lift Service Jack: Heavy-Duty Lifting at Sears

Most of my buddies have the torin big red which you can get I think from costco and elsewhere.

I went for something way more expensive than your budget as I was sick of dealing with it. So I got a Norco jack which has been amazing. I do have the aluminum jack from Harbor Freight which works great for autox and track days.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I have a 3 ton steel Craftsman jack that is 22 years old. Never serviced or rebuilt. Still works great. I don't see anything on their website that looks like it. The closest is some of the OTC jakcs.

I have this 2 ton light weight aluminum Craftsman jack that is 4 years old. I use this one more than any thing because it is so much lighter and easier to maneuver around.

I have had a few of 1.5 ton jacks from Harbor Freight. I intended to use them at the track and to leave in the car. They never last. Some didn't work well right from the get go. The newest one I have seems to be working ok so far. It is part number 68053.

I will say I also bought these aluminum jack stands. They are super light and seem very sturdy. I use them for tire changing and as a secondary jack. Like the steel stands are on the frame of the car and the aluminum ones holding up the rear end housing. I will not lay under the car with just them. Although I think they would be fine. Great for track days and leaving in the trunk for tire changes. These and the small aluminum jack are a better alternative to the factory scissor jack that comes in the car.

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Well at least I use jack stands to hold up cars instead of jacks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :p

But I have used a HF come-a-long a weight lifting bar and rafters as a temp engine hoist in a tight squeeze situation. Was very very sketchy and would rather not have to resort to that ever again

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I use this jack...

Pic_1752.jpg

I got it at AutoZone in 1993 in a kit with a couple jack stands when I first started to drive and for some reason this is the only Jack I've had that just keeps going. I did have to weld and reinforce the receiver for the jack handle and some of the holes at the pivot points of the receiver but amazingly it still works great.

I've been through a couple craftsman jacks in the same time and had some really shitty aluminum jack that failed after a year too. Good ol' red keeps going.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info