TCG Help me pick a new car!

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Some of you might have noticed the thread I posted after Christmas about getting hit by another car. Insurance didn't total it out, but I'm still thinking about trading it out. Currently it's still in the shop, I got a call Thursday that it needs some suspension work, but hopefully I'll get it back sometime this week after having it in the shop for about a month.

I've been looking at a couple cars. Originally I wanted a 2013 Genesis Coupe but when no local dealer had a 3.8 manual for me to check out, I switched over to Subaru. Last week a sales guy shifted me towards a WRX. I checked out a couple, but it seems the trend I've noticed is that the Subaru Dealers don't really want you to test drive their cars. So I'm not 100% if I'm going to like the car. Obviously I understand 5 or 6 speed manual, AWD, rally racing, etc but I sat in one and I wasn't overly impressed.

Currently the car in question is a white 2011 STi Limited with 20k mileages, fully loaded. Anything to look out for on these cars? Other cars that anyone recommends? The other car I really want is a low mileage E92 M3 but I think they're still out of my price range.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The only thing to watch out with the M3 is that while you might be able to afford to get your foot in the door, the car might make you poor with maintenance, especially if all you can afford is one that's out of warranty.

The M3's engine is basically the M5's with two cylinders chopped off. I would imagine it suffers from the same issues that the M5 does. There were a lot of people on the M5 forums that became a lot poorer after being able to afford their M5 only to realize that it needed several thousand a year in upkeep and that was assuming it didn't break.

If I was considering that generation 3 series I'd get a 335, mod it and call it a day. With minimal mods you'll have way more torque than a stock M3, cheaper cost of ownership, better reliability, etc. The 135 is nice too if you can get by it's looks but you can get nicer copies of the 3 series with more features at a cheaper price plus you just can't beat the look of a 2 door 3 series.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The only thing to watch out with the M3 is that while you might be able to afford to get your foot in the door, the car might make you poor with maintenance, especially if all you can afford is one that's out of warranty.

The M3's engine is basically the M5's with two cylinders chopped off. I would imagine it suffers from the same issues that the M5 does. There were a lot of people on the M5 forums that became a lot poorer after being able to afford their M5 only to realize that it needed several thousand a year in upkeep and that was assuming it didn't break.

If I was considering that generation 3 series I'd get a 335, mod it and call it a day. With minimal mods you'll have way more torque than a stock M3, cheaper cost of ownership, better reliability, etc. The 135 is nice too if you can get by it's looks but you can get nicer copies of the 3 series with more features at a cheaper price plus you just can't beat the look of a 2 door 3 series.

Rick's M3 seemed to run like a champ....even with the blower. He never had any real complaints other than the shifter.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

Yeah, if I were to get one I'd want one with a warranty and low miles which puts the price in the $40-50k range - A little out of my budget.

I like the 135. Can you get those in that range?

You can also get into a Focus ST but you dont want FWD. What about a WRX or STI?

I was looking at them, but the interior was a little bland, which I wouldn't mind if the car is fun to drive (I assume it would be), but the two dealerships I went to, one wouldn't let me test drive it, and the other told me to take it easy, and it didn't drive very smooth. I have zero experience with Subarus which is why I'm hesitant.

@Joel, Don't you own/ used to own an Subuaru? Why not?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
No, I was talking about the E92 M3. They might not be as maintenance intensive as the M5. You don't want one out of warranty though. You generally don't want an M anything out of warranty and when there's a cheaper option in the 335 that can be easily and reliably made to make the same amount of horsepower and gobs more torque, and since he's already considering the 135, the 335 seems like a logical choice.

I still miss the sound of the M5 and V10 had soul that admittedly the inline 6 does not but what it lacks in soul it makes up for in tire shredding amounts of torque. I'd imagine the same rings true with the 335 vs M3. A high revving, high horsepower naturally aspirated engine is always going to be fun. But turbos are the fix for that.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The ST has a bland interior? Wat?

ejybyzyg.jpg

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Maybe I am biased but I am not sure how practical of a car you are looking for. I really loved driving the new 370z on the track at least.

Haven't driven a BRZ yet this summer but that is next on the list.

Practical is a good idea. I drive a lot for work and travel a lot for pleasure, but we just got a new 2013 altima, so I can use that if I needed to.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Go drive a 335 with the sport package and manual transmission. It's in your price range with low miles. I guarantee you won't walk away from that car with anything other than a smile on your face and then once it's yours you bolt on another 100hp in 30 minutes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info