tires for the trans am

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
so i am in need of some new tires but dont know what to go with. the car is a DD. sees some street racing, and quite a bit of spirited driving. obviously wont see the track until early summer (need to buy a rear end in spring time)

what tires should i go with? currently have some really worn 275's. i found a set of KUMHO Ecsta XS 295's on line for $280/pair. i have no experience with them tires though.

or should i move to something a little stickier? is so, any recommendations for a DD? the car is making a decent amount of power with H/C/I/stall.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Being a winter dd you're not going to be able to get away with one set of tires. Track set I would go with a et street and for dd I would say a non drag radial performance tire like the ventus v12 or mt street comp

well it wont be driven in snow or ice , but it will be driven every other day. the mt street comp dont come in 295's though so they are out of the running.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
You don't drive it in bad weather means its not a DD. :rollpicard:

Anyways if you are still going to be driving in cold weather I'd get a 2nd set of wheels and toss some snow tires on them even if the car will see no actual snow driving. Wide High performance tires harden to rocks in temps below 40*. I have driven my car with a 228 cam and 4000 stall on wide high performance tires in dry, but freezing weather, and its just as bad as driving on ice. Literally just taking a turn at low speed and the tires will loose traction without warning. Part throttle still in lockup at 65mph and it would start to drift the rear which is always kind of scary. Snow Tires have will have wicked good traction even in sub zero weather and what if you take the car out and it does snow or the roads freeze up. Better safe than in a ditch.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
so i am in need of some new tires but dont know what to go with. the car is a DD. sees some street racing, and quite a bit of spirited driving. obviously wont see the track until early summer (need to buy a rear end in spring time)

what tires should i go with? currently have some really worn 275's. i found a set of KUMHO Ecsta XS 295's on line for $280/pair. i have no experience with them tires though.

or should i move to something a little stickier? is so, any recommendations for a DD? the car is making a decent amount of power with H/C/I/stall.

Those are great tires, plenty sticky too. I think you'll want something that'll allow a bit more deflection though, sidewalls on those are stiff as hell. Additionally, they come already damn short on tread, only 8/32's IIRC from my last pair. And once they get worn, you will die in inclement driving conditions. lol. They're worse on wet traction when worn than Falken 615's.

Don't get me wrong, I do love those tires- I just wouldn't trust them on a heavy, torquey, RWD platform.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info