Do I need a new tire?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Noticed this crack in the tire today. Tire is 1 year old...

23qzddh.jpg

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
The manufacturer date code is on one side of each tire in a 4 digit code.

It will say something like 2410 (which translates to 24th month of 2010 in my example)

The Manufacture code is typically within 1 year of actual sale date but that can vary greatly and I believe even tirerack keeps tires up to 3 years and then sells them at closeout pricing.

You can always just keep an eye on it if you like. Up to you but I don't see it getting better with freezing temps approaching :(

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
I have never gotten a flat tire in any car other than the Audi. From blowouts to nails to a blown sidewall from a huge pothole in Robbins. And those 18" rims with thin ass Z rated tires weren't cheap, so I feel your pain.

As for the aftermarket aspect, that sucks. Put some Gorrilla Glue in the crack and hit it with a heat gun to visually close it up and sell the fucker.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have had tires blow every year or two on my trucks, usually on hot days at highway speeds. I had a front tire blow on my Cobra when my son and I were doing 100+ on Harlem. In all cases, staying calm, keeping the steering wheel steady, letting the car/truck coast down in speed and gradually braking and steering off the road got me/us stopped with no drama.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I have had tires blow every year or two on my trucks, usually on hot days at highway speeds. I had a front tire blow on my Cobra when my son and I were doing 100+ on Harlem. In all cases, staying calm, keeping the steering wheel steady, letting the car/truck coast down in speed and gradually braking and steering off the road got me/us stopped with no drama.

I feel like these newer tires with the strong sidewalls don't blow out with the kind of drama the older tires used to.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
My winter car last season was a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro.. loved that for a winter car.. and I'd do that again in a heartbeat long before I consider something like a Civic.. lol

Keep in mind gas is always a lot cheaper in winter... I just tanked up for $3.70 a gallon for premium and a month ago it was $4.19 at the same station!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info