P0420 & P0442

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Both codes came up on my girlfriends '96 Cavalier. She also needs to go get her emissions done to renew her plates by the end of this month. The code was cleared and a new gas cap on yesterday. Today the light came on.

Both codes are emissions related?

Where to go now?

If we clear the code and go to the emissions test, will it pass?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
420 is cat efficiency low meaning your catalytic converter is operating below 20% efficiency of the OEM cat
aftermarket cheapo cats typically start at only 50-60% the capacity of the OEM federally required 80k warr unit and so will hit the 20% cutoff rather quickly.

442 off the top of my head is small or med evap leak so your looking at a bad cap gasket/cap, bad vent or purge solenoids or a cracked cannister/fitting...or in some cases a aquirrel chewed through a hose.

if the 442 didnt come back yes she could possibly pass but she will want to keep it off the highways and kick it from the cat diagnostics but she will pass even with two notready's so as long as egr and evap pass the cat and rear o2 tests npot running/passing she will still pass the test.

id rec driving with a scanner that can see the emiss monitors and when all but two tests have ran have her pull in and get it tested.
i do it every two years with our old 97 e150...clear codes and drive around near the station. 6 years without fixing the egr or the cats

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
my gramps made a cheapo aftermarket cat last 12 years in cali.

welded up flanges and it was only installed the week before the yearly test and removed right after to sit on his shelf

that 84 3.0 caravan burned oil like a motherfucker :rofl:

if ya need i think i still have a couple good aftermarket cats sitting under my shelves from my old truck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info