Need help figuring out value of a hand painted car...

GraFFix

A 302 and a little boost
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
Sounds strange I know...Long story short my dad won a custom painted PT Cruiser years ago. It was a promotion done by Chrysler. There were 2 cars hand painted by an artist named Mark T Smith. One was Auctioned off for charity which is the one my dad won and one was used as a promotional vehicle. The car is painted just as an artist would paint on canvas. you can see the brush strokes, does not seem like the car has been cleared over the paint. it is very textured.

My dad basically parked this car in his garage and drove it maybe 20 times since then. He wants to sell it but we dont know what the car is even worth...hes had one offer of 5k which I think is to low. Not sure how we could get it appraised...should I go to a car appraiser or an art gallery? :hsughlol:

If anyone has any ideas where we could get this thing appraised im all ears. I thought of putting it on ebay and setting a high reserve and see what people bid. but again we dont want to short sell it either.

Heres a few pics I found on the net as well as a few articles about the car.

A special hand-painted Chrysler PT Cruiser
http://www.hugginsnet.com/ptcruiser/misc/PT Cruisers Through the Years.pdf (slide 13)
Mark T. Smith | Works - Artist's website

thumb.php

ptcruiser.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
take the 5k and run. It's not a rare or highly desirable car and I'm really doubting it will ever be. Getting blue book value for the car would be fantastic in my eyes. Anyone looking for a custom car, isn't looking for this sort of custom.

Donate it to some sort of art museum and take a nice tax write off?

GraFFix

A 302 and a little boost
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
We have tossed around both of your guys ideas. Donating and also contacting Chrysler to see if they maybe wanted to buy it back for display or something.

I know the car itself isnt worth anything really, it has no options. manual trans, crank windows..basically the bare minimum. im looking at it more of a collector/art piece. but again maybe im delusional lol

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Looks like the artist has done some good work. I'd throw it up on ebay and see what it does. set the reserve at what you feel is right. Some PT Cruiser inthusiast might just like it cause its a clean low mileage car. Or a person who is in love with this painters work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info