E85, should I for my LS3??

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
There are a few very compelling arguments over on the corvette forum for using E85 in an otherwise stock LS3 corvette. One guy over there posted up a thread many months ago, and has been updating it with lots of good info and whatnot. He apparently had his bone stock LS3 tuned to run on E85 only, with no other mods. Injectors were at 90% dc and all the rest was setup through the tuning. I guess because the corvettes share many of the fuel system parts with the flex fuel motors from the other GM cars, it was as easy as dumping in the E85 and making a few tune changes. Here is what he netted......

2008CorvetteE85Test.jpg

Not bad at all for a bone stock LS3 6speed corvette. Add a CAI, 60lb injectors and cat deletes, and it will make the same numbers as a cam LS3 with headers and cai.

Now here is the question. Should i? I know where to get it locally, that is only a few miles from my house. And of course this car is a pleasure only car so no need to worry about the loss in gas mileage. But are there going to be any long term bad effects for a street car? What are your thoughts?

The power increase in undeniable. And I personally love the smell of french fries!!!!

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
the shit works. get a good tune in the car and don't worry too much. Guys complaining about inconsistency of fuel are really pushing the edge on boost cars most of the time. I think you'll really notice the torque increase. it would be a good thing to have a way to adjust your own timing, as that is really the parameter that will make you more power.

I say do it, why not. The factory fuel system should not have any rubber parts in it, and the injector o-rings are probably viton anyway. plastic and steel are unaffected by E85. aluminum apparently can cause some problems, but that is due to the hydroscopic nature of E85 and introducing some water into the system.

do it.

E85 is pretty stupid cheap at the right places right now.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Yeah I was wondering about this whole winter blend crap too. Whats that all about?

The winter blend is the issue. I'm actually suprised to see that 45whp increase on the dyno from a tune only on e85. Was that a factory 93 octane tune vs an e85 custom tune? Reason I bring it up is that I've heard you can pick up quite a bit over a factory tune going with a custom 93 octane tune on an otherwise stock ls3. That may narrow the gap a bit and make the true gain for running e85 something like 15-20whp.

Now back to the winter blend crap, yes, that is an issue although on an NA car you might not have as much of an issue with the e70 blend as turbo guys would have. Typically the turbo guys run e85 for the extra knock resistance so that they can push much higher boost pressures and avoid KR. On an NA car i'd imagine that the safety window is much larger, but the gains are not as significant. I have decided to go with an 55 gallon drum in my garage because all my cars are now running e85. Vegas doesn't have fluctuations like the midwest does so I don't have to worry about my 135i down here.

Now I'm circling back. Lets say that you can get a tune on 93 octane and only be 15-20whp shy of what you could get with a tune on e85. You weigh that gain against variables such as worse MPG, availability, and limited regulations on ethanol content at the pump. You can see where I'm going. you have to make the decision if it's truly worth it or not.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I will be going e85... Doing the conversion this winter.

Darkc6 is going e85 as well.

Shhhh......:ugh:

As for the concern about a winter blend. You're not supposed to let e85 sit for a long time because it breaks down after about a month. You shouldn't leave e85 in a car when storing it for the winter. Your best bet is to get 2 tunes. 1 for e85 and 1 for 93. In the winter and on long road trips you swap to 93 and problem solved.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I think my car is still too much of a street car for E85 its looking like. I dont want to deal with the winter issues, and looking to find close stations to where I want to go. The gains would be nice, but I can offset that with a cam and headers like I was going to do anyway. This way I will save the cost for injectors. Oh well, this is why I asked. Chickening out.

Sharkey

Regular
Sep 19, 2012
E85 has nothing but good benefits, only if set up properly. My suggestion, I didn't read this whole thread but if possible to use the gm ff sensor so it uses blend tables according to ethanol content. I've seen to many motors let loose that are "tunned" on e85 because of the advanced timming people run (and boost when used) and get a low % batch. Usually results in melting of parts. Your oil changes and plug changes will be more frequent then a normal pump gas car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info