highway vibration

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Old tires were shot from them cupping. A shop inslected the car and found i needed tired snd struts; both tires and struts were replaced. Still had vibration. Went back to the shop thinking tires or balance was off. After the inspection, they found 3 rims were dented on the inside and the 4th one has a very small crack.

would the dents and small crack still cause the car to vibrate?

After then rebalancing new tires again, it vibrates worse than it did.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
stock wheels? the dents and crack could be the cause, it's hard to tell without seeing them though.
im going to assume the rest of the front end is tight. do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or the seat?
what about the axles? are they throwing grease? i just fixed a car that had a bad vibration at higher speeds from a binding axle (wasnt throwing grease though)

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
lemme guess you drive the same stretch all the time?

the roads are showing dimples/washboarding alot more each and every day especially in the right lanes, i have had 3 folks bring up highway "speed" vibrations

go onto a concrete or a newer smoother asphalt road and retest.

False. My car has 160k. Its gets driven. Just Friday I drove 300 miles.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
so youve been on nice new smooth roads without washboarding and you still have the vibration?

since you mention its worse id question if its road force variation from where the belts overlap in the sidewalls.
you say you put 4 new tires on and its worse than before?
if your feeling it through the unibody as well as the steering wheel look closely at your sidewalls for a "tight" spot from the rim to the tread shoulder...if you have one it could be you need better quality tires

unless the rim beads are bent 1/8inch + (at the axial/inner bead) i dont see a vibration, ive seen folded over lips that drove with no vibration.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Swapped the fronts with the rears. I haven't driven it yet, but this is what I saw.

Wheel #1

IMG_20120829_165152.jpg

Wheel #2

Shitty picture but the lip is all chewed up

IMG_20120829_163929.jpg

Wheel #3

IMG_20120829_164941.jpg

Wheel #4

Double weights?

IMG_20120829_164101.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info