Charging issues with the Burban...

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
So heres the Cliffs on whats going on...

1996 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
does not charge above 14.0VDC (gauge on dash and batteries read the same) batteries look good and new alternator

The whole story...

The truck used to always show 14.2~14.6 volts on the dash. Last week it had a hard time starting, so i checked my gauges and noticed its was only charging about 13.7~14.0 volts. I checked the battery connections on both batteries and grounds in the engine bay, even cut the rubber off the terminals and replaced the botls and everything. No Change! Hooked up to a VAT40 (old school load tester / alternator tester) and noticed the max the alternator would put out was about 75~80 amps so it was weak but not toast. Also showed roughly a 30amp draw at idle (ac/radio/lights/etc were all on) was on Also had it tested at AdvanceAuto and they said it was good. I replaced replaced the alternator due to the fact that I knew from the previous test it was getting weak. No Change! Batteries look fairly new, and both hold a 12.7 volt charge after being disconnected. Also, when tested with a load tester they show over 1300CCA (they are rated at 700CCA each). So i do not THINK its the batteries. i've done a bunch of searching on this and cannot find anything except for that a lot of people have had similar problems, but nobody has posted the FIX.

Please help as this is getting annoying...

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Sounds like you did most of the obvious, other things to check, grab a DMM, do voltage drop tests along various lengths of wire,, engine gnd to chassis gnd, chassis to - terminal, + terminal to alternator stud, alternator casing to - terminal (would show if corrosion b/w block and alt is an issue), shouldn't be more than say .2v with load, .5v tops. If you find a cable with a huge drop, there's the issue. Another thing, fusible link in the alternator line, but, you'd be getting nothing to the batteries and the gauge, as inaccurate the factory gauges are, still wouldn't show 14v.

Only other thing I can give ya, again, hoping your meter tests current, do a current draw test, key off, doors closed, disconnect - terminal, attach a jumper between - and cable, then attach meter to each as well, then remove jumper as long as the dome lights are off. This keeps the internal fuse from blowing. Do not open doors, do not turn on ignition, just let the truck sit. After it "settles down" after about a minute, shouldn't be reading more than 30-40mA tops or .03-.04A. If it stays high for longer than a minute or so, start pulling fuses. Rejump the connection, disable dome light, then remove the jumper, after it "settles down" again, start pulling fuses one by one until you see it drop. Circuit that makes it drop is the one in question. Could be anything from piece of equip gone bad, glovebox light switch broke, trunk ajar, etc.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
is battery voltage jiv'n with the gauge?
hookup a good scantool that will give you the ign voltage at the pcm and compare to the DVOM at the battery and the gauge.

you can use some scanners with bidirectional controls to comand the alternator to full field and see what it can put out...keep in mind charging voltage changes with ambient temp. cold weather usually results in a higher charging voltage than hot weather as the batterys efficiency/resistance changes.

you will want to do voltage drop tests as the side terminal cables and battery cables in general are very good at hiding corrosion where you cant see it (inside crimped connections/insulation/etc.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I was going to say the same as James. GM's seem to like to corrode inside cables. I would run new battery power and ground cables with some 4gauge and also some new ground wires. Made a difference on my Lumina and it has a police spec system with bigger wiring than normal

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i kept doing that to jamies truck, always a low state of charge...even changed the starter...then said fuckit and cut the whole side post cable end boot off (the part that on earlier cables is molded to the assembly...newer vehicles you can remove the sheath by just removing the bolt and sliding the sheath off)

the battery cable was severly corroded where the copper was crimped to the terminal....and 4inches down from it

i cut off 3 inches and scrapped with a razor/sanded the wire and slapped on a universal side post repair.

fucker starts up like it was 1997 EVERY time now

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
is battery voltage jiv'n with the gauge?
hookup a good scantool that will give you the ign voltage at the pcm and compare to the DVOM at the battery and the gauge.

you can use some scanners with bidirectional controls to comand the alternator to full field and see what it can put out...keep in mind charging voltage changes with ambient temp. cold weather usually results in a higher charging voltage than hot weather as the batterys efficiency/resistance changes.

you will want to do voltage drop tests as the side terminal cables and battery cables in general are very good at hiding corrosion where you cant see it (inside crimped connections/insulation/etc.

I was going to say the same as James. GM's seem to like to corrode inside cables. I would run new battery power and ground cables with some 4gauge and also some new ground wires. Made a difference on my Lumina and it has a police spec system with bigger wiring than normal

I had to clean the terminals on that thing a bunch of times, but that would always fix it. :dunno:

Have you pulled, inspected and cleaned each battery terminal?

ok, the battery voltage has been confirmed by a DVOM, Scan tool, and gauge to all be the same...13.8-13.9vdc

that being said, i did cut off all the rubber around the terminals and they looked ok, but as far as actually going further into the wires I have not. So either way i cleaned the hell out of them, installed new bolts for the terminals. Maybe I will do the "big3" upgrade and test the theory...

James, i did notice on my way to work the past couple mornings (when its been like 50-60*) it charges at the normal 14.4ish... is it possible that this is just temperature related? I know the theory behind the voltage/temperature change, but Ive never ran into this with another vehicle though...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info