Tahoe, Cherokee, or F150 for bad weather bad terrain rig.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
Well Im getting ready to sell my mountaineer and Ill be looking to get a vehicle with 4lo so I can explore some backcountry roads here in Colorado. Looking for something that can seat 4 comfortably. Im a Ford guy and I work for a ford dealer so Im most familiar with them, but the only supercrew 150s i can afford is 97-03s with 150k+ miles. Cherokees im unfamiliar with, but i know that once the rear main seal and head gaskets are replaced, they can run a long time. Finding these slightly cheaper with similar miles, but I dont feel as comfortable with the 4.0 motor over the Ford v8s. I like the 90s tahoes, but im also a little unfamiliar with them, but a chevy 350 chould last a looong time.. Finding good tahoes with 100k miles for around 5. Anybody with experience wih any of these vehicles please chime in.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
All have pro's and con's. Fords go through front end parts and the years your looking at tend to spit spark plugs. The Cherokees motor is reliable, but at high mileage can eat and leak oil like a siv. The suspensions on them are solid and cheap to upgrade, and you get a solid axle. The tahoes are ok, but have ifs. If it's something you want to mod I would go with a Jeep, but the mileage on them isn't the best. If you want something to just drive and get the best mileage I would go with the Tahoe. Leave stock and run hard then the Ford wins.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
To clarify, i am looking at 4 door 150s and those years are all 2 valve motors. Im pretty sure only the 3vs have the plug problem. Im also well aware of the balljoints amd end links the fords eat up.

Lift wise i would just level the ford and use 33s. Probably similar with the tahoe and go with a 3-4 inch lift on the xj.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
To clarify, i am looking at 4 door 150s and those years are all 2 valve motors. Im pretty sure only the 3vs have the plug problem. Im also well aware of the balljoints amd end links the fords eat up.

Lift wise i would just level the ford and use 33s. Probably similar with the tahoe and go with a 3-4 inch lift on the xj.

2v motors spit the plugs. 3v it's impossible to get the plugs out of when you want to change them.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
XJ all day bro :s00ls:

But seriously, get one... I sold my '97 suburban for one and still have it to this day. There is no reason to have it unless you're trailering your car with it. It's CHEAP to maintain (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil, filter and a power steering hose that was leaking cost me a total of $80 today) Mine has been through hell and back and is still asking for more with 170,000 miles on the original drivetrain. It got 18mpg average before it was lifted, it's comfortable, and like was said, is easy to modify. You can pick up a CLEAN one with no rust but maybe a ding or dent for right around $3,500 but could score a gem right about now for around $4,000 with a good amount of options. I would get a 1998-2001 personally, the last run of them. The motors were better balanced, ran smoother and got better mileage, the interior is alot "nicer" and the exterior styling was updated. If you have any questions about them post 'em up.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
I'm leaning towards the Tahoe, just because they are almost as cheap as XJs, but I would modify it less so in the end I think it would be cheaper.

As far as XJs, how much would it cost to have the head gasket replaced and the rear main seal? I'm finding cheap, but very clean (2500-3000) XJs that would need this done and I'm thinking instead of getting surprised later and have to go through this possibly in winter when I need it most, why not get it done right away and know I'm in the clear?

Also, I know I was laughed at for looking at an XJ that was near $7000, but I found a 2001 Silverstone Classic that only has 78k miles, 4" Zone off road lift, new BFG Muds, front and rear bumpers, sliders, skids, and a rack for $7,200. The thing looks mint and is already built and I wouldn't have to throw a dime at it. The guy has had it up a while and might be flexible on the price. Worth it to check out?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Head gasket for an XJ means a new head. When the gaskets go, the head cracks 99% of the time, also true for misfire trucks occasionally, the coolant passage cracks causing a misfire when hot. They're great trucks but don't buy one that needs work, theyre simple to fix but alot of people try everything basic before they sell it with an issue, leaving you with a hefty bill. That price isnt too off, i sold a CLEAN '98 classic with 113,000 on it for $6,000 a few months ago, and that was stock.

Link of silverstone?

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
No link to the silverstone, but heres a few pics.
rotzs99-albums-random-pictures-picture2479-img-0839.jpeg

rotzs99-albums-random-pictures-picture2480-img-0833.jpeg
rotzs99-albums-random-pictures-picture2481-securedownload.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info